MMA a Phony?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

MMA a Phony?

Post  Markwes on Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:21 pm

I have never really had much more than a passing interest in it until this deal with Kimbo Slice...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=AsAfzH7Fk6x7N8Tqpk8JNT5YEo14?slug=dw-kimbo100508&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=dw-petruzelli100708&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Re: MMA a Phony?

Post  Guest on Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:58 pm

Markwes wrote:I have never really had much more than a passing interest in it until this deal with Kimbo Slice...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=AsAfzH7Fk6x7N8Tqpk8JNT5YEo14?slug=dw-kimbo100508&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=dw-petruzelli100708&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

MMA a phony? No.

EliteXC a phony? Yes.

They're trying to bank off of Kimbo Slice's internet reputation. In doing so, they don't want their star to get beat. In order to keep him from getting beat, they want to keep his fights standing so that they become slugfests. There's no way in hell Kimbo could win against someone with a strong background in wrestling or Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. So...supposedly they told Petruzelli that he'd basically be taken care of *if* he didn't take Kimbo down. Fans want the big KO. CBS wants ratings. Jared Shaw (EliteXC promoter) is a scumbag and was going to do whatever possible, even if it meant comprimising the integrity of the sport, to make sure Kimbo won a slugfest with a B-level fighter. As we all saw/know, that didn't work out too well and it proves that a street fighter can't just climb in to a cage/ring and win against mid-level mixed martial artists. It takes training to get where these guys are.

Kimbo is pretty much a baby in the sport. EliteXC screwed up and tried building their brand behind Kimbo Slice. Utlimately, they'll be the price. Expect them to either be out of business in the coming months or to merge with Affliction *or* possibly even purchased by the UFC.

Back to top Go down

Post  anderson on Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:03 pm

This is the case of someone wanting to play with the big dogs but not being able to play the game so they change the rules of the game.

Watching an EliteXC card I always felt they were the WWE of the MMA world. Gimmicky intros and washed up "fighters."

I agree whole-heartedly that MMA is as real of a sport as boxing or football... but EliteXC is a joke and a black eye, if you will, on the entire MMA.

This will kill EliteXC and personally couldn't be happier about it, except for the fact that a friend of mine fights in EliteXC hopefully it doesn't damage her fighting career.
anderson
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Male
Number of posts : 113
Location : If there is a bright center of the universe, we're on the planet it's furthest from.

http://www.dirtyfootfamily.com

Back to top Go down

Post  IrishGuy on Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:23 pm

All I can say is that Gina chick on the undercard on Saturday was prety damn hot. She could kick my ass and I would probably let her.
IrishGuy
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1511

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:24 am

IrishGuy wrote:All I can say is that Gina chick on the undercard on Saturday was prety damn hot. She could kick my ass and I would probably let her.

Gina Carano *is* hot. She had to get naked at the weigh-ins in order to make weight (which she always has a tough time doing...and has even missed weight on a few different occasions.)

She's also 'Crush' on American Gladiators.

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes on Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:27 am

Thanks for clarifying. It sounds like EliteXC is to MMA what Don King is to boxing.
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  IrishGuy on Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:49 am

The other chick that the hot one fought was a scary thing wasn't she? Those two were about polar opposites. The hot one seemed pretty down to earth when they interviewed her, the scary one sounded about like she had a 9th grade education.
IrishGuy
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1511

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:04 am

IrishGuy wrote:The other chick that the hot one fought was a scary thing wasn't she? Those two were about polar opposites. The hot one seemed pretty down to earth when they interviewed her, the scary one sounded about like she had a 9th grade education.

Wait until Gina fights Cyborg Santos...

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:07 am

Markwes wrote:Thanks for clarifying. It sounds like EliteXC is to MMA what Don King is to boxing.

Bingo. Since landing the network deal with CBS, they're willing to do whatever it takes to get ratings. Unfortunately, MMA already has a bad rap and crap like this hinders the attempt to educate folks.

It's not "human cockfighting" anymore as John McCain once said. It's a legit sport with legit athletes.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top