The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boston Legal -- sexist?

4 posters

Go down

Do you find Boston Legal sexist?

Boston Legal -- sexist? Vote_lcap9%Boston Legal -- sexist? Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 1 ]
Boston Legal -- sexist? Vote_lcap18%Boston Legal -- sexist? Vote_rcap 18% 
[ 2 ]
Boston Legal -- sexist? Vote_lcap9%Boston Legal -- sexist? Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 1 ]
Boston Legal -- sexist? Vote_lcap64%Boston Legal -- sexist? Vote_rcap 64% 
[ 7 ]

Total Votes : 11

Poll closed

Boston Legal -- sexist? Empty Boston Legal -- sexist?

Post  Aggie Transplant Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:08 pm

I have enjoyed watching Boston Legal over the years, and I'm sorry this is its last season. However, I am getting a little tired of Denny always grabbing someone's ass, or Alan Shore making sexually charged comments to women lawyers. If anyone made those comments in "real life", they would have their ass sued so fast their head would be spinning.

After last night's show, I wondered if trivializing these actions the way the show does would make it seem more acceptable in the workplace. But I like to think that no one would mirror the show's characters' behavior. Or would they?

Aggie Transplant
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Female
Number of posts : 1124

Back to top Go down

Boston Legal -- sexist? Empty Re: Boston Legal -- sexist?

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:34 pm

I hear what you're saying Aggie. I voted "sometimes." For me though, it comes down to the knowledge that it is a TV show and by no means reality. It's a good escape from all the serious stuff that seems to take over the headlines of our everyday lives. This year does seem like it has taken a lot of the zaniness to the extreme (paint ball scene, dude ranch).

But I'll definitely be sorry to see it go as well! Crying or Very sad
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Canuck Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:51 pm

Aggie Transplant wrote:I have enjoyed watching Boston Legal over the years, and I'm sorry this is its last season. However, I am getting a little tired of Denny always grabbing someone's ass, or Alan Shore making sexually charged comments to women lawyers. If anyone made those comments in "real life", they would have their ass sued so fast their head would be spinning.

After last night's show, I wondered if trivializing these actions the way the show does would make it seem more acceptable in the workplace. But I like to think that no one would mirror the show's characters' behavior. Or would they?

I do think there are men and women out there behaving like this.
Sometimes it would come down to someone being afraid to complain for fear of losing their job.

I don't watch that show enough to know too much about it. I think I've seen two episodes ever.
Canuck
Canuck
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1717

Back to top Go down

Post  Aggie Transplant Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:55 am

Cincy,

while I agree it has gone to new heights of silliness, they are also working in a lot more political themes than in prior years. So I see it as a mix of both serious subjects and absolute fluff.

I obviously voted for "sometimes". The women Denny manhandles never slap the sh!t out of him, which I would love to see. They just make startled faces and move on. Same for Alan -- the women he objectifies either respond in kind, or completely ignore the inappropriate comments. Maybe the last episode should be someone suing the Crane, Poole and Schmidt law firm for sexual harassment and shutting the place down.

I wish the Practice were still on.

Aggie Transplant
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Female
Number of posts : 1124

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:31 am

Aggie Transplant wrote:Cincy,

while I agree it has gone to new heights of silliness, they are also working in a lot more political themes than in prior years. So I see it as a mix of both serious subjects and absolute fluff.

I obviously voted for "sometimes". The women Denny manhandles never slap the sh!t out of him, which I would love to see. They just make startled faces and move on. Same for Alan -- the women he objectifies either respond in kind, or completely ignore the inappropriate comments. Maybe the last episode should be someone suing the Crane, Poole and Schmidt law firm for sexual harassment and shutting the place down.

I wish the Practice were still on.
That reminds me of how they ended Seinfeld. All 4 characters were sued b/c they did nothing to help a guy that was being robbed except laugh at him (Good Samaritan Law). Then at the trial all of their past bad behavior was brought up as a way of convicting them. So your idea for ending Boston Legal like you said is plausible.

And yeah, I too have been somewhat surprised by the amount of political stuff they've talked about this year, and toward the end of last year. I don't know if David E. Kelly has an axe to grind or what, but I generally have mixed feelings about the level of the political stuff being brought up.
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:37 am

I don't watch the show...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Mort Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:53 pm

Who's legal in Boston Pot?? Shocked
Mort
Mort
Admin
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 1400

https://therealboard.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:28 pm

Don't watch the show either. Do any of the female characters on the show exhibit themselves in a charming and "feminine-manipulative" way at any time to get what they want in a work related situation? Or is it that the writers are trying to put this stuff in there to suggest this is "really" the way things are a lot of the time?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down