TinCaps first home game

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: TinCaps first home game

Post  IrishGuy on Thu May 07, 2009 8:46 am

I was reading the newspaper last night and looked at the Caps box score. At the end, it lists the attendance for the game. Not exactly sure if that is the tickets "sold" or actual people that went through the gates. At the bottom of the box score there is a T=x:xx, this is the time that the game took to play, then it is followed by A=x,xxx which is the attendance.
avatar
IrishGuy
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1511
Location : Fort Wayne

Back to top Go down

Re: TinCaps first home game

Post  iberlingirl on Thu May 07, 2009 8:48 am

I haven't really read this post, just wanted to say, I saw the news coverage of the second game and my only comment while watching, "Wow, only like 1/3 of the seats are filled, I knew attendance would drop after the first game, but damn, that was a sad turn out"
avatar
iberlingirl
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Female
Number of posts : 1185
Age : 49

Back to top Go down

Re: TinCaps first home game

Post  SavoyTruffle on Mon May 18, 2009 9:40 am

Okay, I'm not sure if anyone else has gone to see a game yet, but I did yesterday. Putting aside whether or not the stadium should have been built, I actually found the stadium to be an excellent design.

First of all, if the temperature is going to be below 70 and windy, don't get caught in the sections underneath the shade - it's FREEZING! But that's where the good things start to come in. When we started moving around, the concourse is above the seating, not behind them. So when you're walking around, you still can see the game as it's going on. Then there is a picnic table seating that can be reserved by large parties - but if they're not, apparently they're fair game. We ended up sitting there in order to stay in the sun. It was actually pretty funny, the section we were in and those around us that were in the shade were pretty sparse by the 7th inning - but those in the sun were packed (along with people just standing and watching from the railing).

Oh, and I think this seems to be a more kid-friendly stadium. There was plenty of space for kids to play and run around in. There was also a section of "seating" called the lawn seats, which was pretty much a slanted patch of grass. There were kids rolling down it and having a ball. Looks like it would be fun for the little ones.

Again, I'm still not saying they should have built this thing, but while it's there - hey, it was pretty fun.

ADDITIONAL EDITED INFO - The attendance at that game was 6,119 - but of course, this was at a prime ballgame time.
avatar
SavoyTruffle
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Male
Number of posts : 174
Location : here

Back to top Go down

Re: TinCaps first home game

Post  Guest on Mon May 18, 2009 10:09 am

Cluck, cluck. Very Happy
avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: TinCaps first home game

Post  Pez on Mon May 18, 2009 10:36 am

SavoyTruffle wrote:...
Again, I'm still not saying they should have built this thing, but while it's there - hey, it was pretty fun.
....

Cheers for having a better attitude than most of the naysayers... My kids like it there... if we are Driving past and the gate is open we will stop... we havent been to a game yet... kinda waiting On it to get a little warmer....

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1979
Location : Ft Wayne

Back to top Go down

Re: TinCaps first home game

Post  LTRT on Mon May 18, 2009 3:27 pm

Father outraged at TinCaps game

While recently attending a TinCaps baseball game with my 2-year-old daughter, I was outraged and utterly appalled by a young man’s T-shirt. He had what looked like the TinCaps logo, but the logo had red eyes, a joint in its mouth and a marijuana leaf on top of its head. It also said Potheads in bold letters above.

I find this very inappropriate, especially at an event where many young children are present. It sets a bad example and shows poor judgment. To know that the staff would let someone walk around the ballpark like that shows the character and class of the whole TinCaps organization, not to mention a lack of leadership.

Nickolas Giant

I guess this dad didn't find it too family friendly, just sayin...
avatar
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Re: TinCaps first home game

Post  SavoyTruffle on Mon May 18, 2009 3:28 pm

To be fair, I'm not the biggest naysayer of this project. I sort of wish they had just done this in the first place (instead of building Memorial Stadium) if they really wanted it this way. As Bman and Markwes can attest, however, I would prefer money spent on academia rather than on entertainment; but that's my biggest gripe about the whole thing. Maybe a referendum by the citizens would have been nice, since it did appear to be incredibly controversial. Oh, and even without the housing crisis, the idea of condos right there wasn't the greatest. Asking people to rent at a fixed rate on an apartment is one thing; asking them to gamble their money on condos which could easily go bust in curmudgeon-y Ft. Wayne - not smart.

But I couldn't help thinking how nice the stadium was as opposed to all the thoughts above when I was watching the game. Naysayers, you can still attend and enjoy yourself in secret - nobody here would spill the beans. You can even claim you're doing research on why the stadium will be the ruin of this city.
avatar
SavoyTruffle
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Male
Number of posts : 174
Location : here

Back to top Go down

Re: TinCaps first home game

Post  Cincy Fan 44 on Mon May 18, 2009 3:34 pm

To that guy, I say it's still a free country the last time I checked. If one of my kids would have seen it and asked about, I like to think I would have just used it as a teaching tool to say sometimes people make decisions that others just don't particularly care for. That said, if one of my kids comes to me pledging their allegiance to that school up north, they will be immediately disowned and sent to the curb, because after all, their decisions will have consequences! Twisted Evil

_________________
Life...what a great choice.
avatar
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852
Location : Wherever you can gird your loins

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Re: TinCaps first home game

Post  SavoyTruffle on Mon May 18, 2009 3:34 pm

LTRT wrote:I guess this dad didn't find it too family friendly, just sayin...

He could have easily came in a jacket (it was certainly windy enough) and took it off as they were sitting down.

Edit: previous line is incredibly ambigious, I simply meant the guy who wore the offending t-shirt may have had it covered up as they were going in.

I would also note that my experience has been that Komets games are FAR cruder than anything I (or this father) experienced at a TinCaps game.

Big groups of people, stuff like this is bound to happen.
avatar
SavoyTruffle
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Male
Number of posts : 174
Location : here

Back to top Go down

Re: TinCaps first home game

Post  Guest on Mon May 18, 2009 4:19 pm

LTRT wrote:
Father outraged at TinCaps game

While recently attending a TinCaps baseball game with my 2-year-old daughter, I was outraged and utterly appalled by a young man’s T-shirt. He had what looked like the TinCaps logo, but the logo had red eyes, a joint in its mouth and a marijuana leaf on top of its head. It also said Potheads in bold letters above.

I find this very inappropriate, especially at an event where many young children are present. It sets a bad example and shows poor judgment. To know that the staff would let someone walk around the ballpark like that shows the character and class of the whole TinCaps organization, not to mention a lack of leadership.

Nickolas Giant

I guess this dad didn't find it too family friendly, just sayin...

I think it makes that (T-Shirt guy) look like an idiot rather than reflect on the team, stadium, it's organizers, or anyone seated around him not reaching for stones to throw at him.

I guess my question to ol' Saint Nick... Is his daughter so impressionable at the age of 2 that she'll be encouraged to smoke pot later in life because he saw someone wearing a "potheads" T-Shirt before she could read? I wonder if this guy gets irate at bumper stickers or those balls-a-swingin' on the hitch receiver, etc.

Would those who don't have kids of their own think it's embarrassing for his daughter to be seen with chocolate syrup and ice cream smeared all over her shirt after a treat?

One wonders whether Nick thought to question the foresight of those who selected the new team name...
avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: TinCaps first home game

Post  SavoyTruffle on Sun May 31, 2009 11:35 am

The author of that letter apparently was a bit stranger than we expected:

he issue started with a letter to the editor that appeared in The Journal Gazette on May 21, in which Nicholas Giant said he was outraged and utterly appalled to see such a shirt at one of the games. He said it showed a lack of class, character and leadership on the part of the TinCaps’ organization.

Then, on Thursday, Giant contacted the newspaper again. He was the guy who’d worn the shirt to a game earlier in the season, he said. Yes, he said, he had then written a letter to the editor condemning the TinCaps for allowing anyone with such a shirt into the stadium, without saying he was the guy in the shirt.

http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20090531/LOCAL0201/305319920/1002/LOCAL

avatar
SavoyTruffle
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Male
Number of posts : 174
Location : here

Back to top Go down

Re: TinCaps first home game

Post  Cincy Fan 44 on Sun May 31, 2009 12:27 pm

SavoyTruffle wrote:The author of that letter apparently was a bit stranger than we expected:

he issue started with a letter to the editor that appeared in The Journal Gazette on May 21, in which Nicholas Giant said he was outraged and utterly appalled to see such a shirt at one of the games. He said it showed a lack of class, character and leadership on the part of the TinCaps’ organization.

Then, on Thursday, Giant contacted the newspaper again. He was the guy who’d worn the shirt to a game earlier in the season, he said. Yes, he said, he had then written a letter to the editor condemning the TinCaps for allowing anyone with such a shirt into the stadium, without saying he was the guy in the shirt.

http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20090531/LOCAL0201/305319920/1002/LOCAL

Thanks for sharing this Savoy! What an idiot that Giant guy is. Somebody go get him some playing cards, 'cause I don't think he's playing with a full deck. Laughing

_________________
Life...what a great choice.
avatar
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852
Location : Wherever you can gird your loins

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Re: TinCaps first home game

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum