The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

White House at War w/ FOX News

+3
sliptap
LTRT
Cincy Fan 44
7 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

White House at War w/ FOX News Empty White House at War w/ FOX News

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:33 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/10/18/white-house-escalates-war-fox-news-1925819282/

The White House escalated its offensive against Fox News on Sunday by urging other news organizations to stop "following Fox" and instead join the administration's attempt to marginalize the channel.

White House chief of staff Rahm Emanuel told CNN that President Obama does not want "the CNNs and the others in the world [to] basically be led in following Fox."

Obama senior adviser David Axelrod went further by calling on media outlets to join the administration in declaring that Fox is "not a news organization."

"Other news organizations like yours ought not to treat them that way," Axelrod counseled ABC's George Stephanopoulos. "We're not going to treat them that way."

By urging other news outlets to side with the administration, Obama aides officials dramatically upped the ante in the war of words that began earlier this month, when White House communications director Anita Dunn branded Fox "opinion journalism masquerading as news."

On Sunday, Fox's Chris Wallace retorted: "We wanted to ask Dunn about her criticism, but, as they've done every week since August, the White House refused to make any administration officials available to 'FOX News Sunday' to talk about this or anything else."

The White House stopped providing guests to 'Fox News Sunday' after Wallace fact-checked controversial assertions made by Tammy Duckworth, assistant secretary of the Department of Veterans Affairs, in August. Dunn said fact-checking an administration official was "something I've never seen a Sunday show do."

"She criticized 'FOX News Sunday' last week for fact-checking -- fact-checking -- an administration official," Wallace said Sunday. "They didn't say that our fact-checking was wrong. They just said that we had dared to fact-check."

"Let's fact-check Anita Dunn, because last Sunday she said that Fox ignores Republican scandals, and she specifically mentioned the scandal involving Nevada senator John Ensign," Wallace added. "A number of Fox News shows have run stories about Senator Ensign. Anita Dunn's facts were just plain wrong."

Fox News senior vice president Michael Clemente said: "Surprisingly, the White House continues to declare war on a news organization instead of focusing on the critical issues that Americans are concerned about like jobs, health care and two wars. The door remains open and we welcome a discussion about the facts behind the issues."
Why oh why is the Obama Admin getting involved in something like this? Really makes them look bad. Send the DNC after FOX News if they're that concerned about them. Doesn't Obamaco have anything else pressing, like the economy, or Afghanistan, or Iraq, or finding out if Rio bribed Olympic officials?????

So is this Barack Nixon or Richard Obama???
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

White House at War w/ FOX News Empty Re: White House at War w/ FOX News

Post  LTRT Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:13 am

I guess Obamaco want them to be in 'lock-step' with them. Isn't that what the left said about the Bush admin?

By the way....how's that hope and change thingy workin' out for ya?
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Post  sliptap Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:35 am

Fox News senior vice president Michael Clemente said: "Surprisingly, the White House continues to declare war on a news organization instead of focusing on the critical issues that Americans are concerned about like jobs, health care and two wars. The door remains open and we welcome a discussion about the facts behind the issues."

Awesome quote...hopefully people (and the other news stations) will start to wake up and see what this Administration is really all about.
sliptap
sliptap
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Male
Number of posts : 77

Back to top Go down

Post  Pez Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:29 am

You are right sliptap... it's hilarious to hear a Fox VP describe Fox as a news organization... Hilarious! :-)

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1979

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooby01_98 Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:55 pm

Pez wrote:You are right sliptap... it's hilarious to hear a Fox VP describe Fox as a news organization... Hilarious! :-)

Just as good of a news organization as MSNBC with Chris "tingle leg" Matthews, Ed Schultz and Keith "should have stuck with sports" Oberlin chanting the administration can do no wrong montra.
Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1642

http://www.nola.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:33 pm

Scooby01_98 wrote:
Pez wrote:You are right sliptap... it's hilarious to hear a Fox VP describe Fox as a news organization... Hilarious! :-)

Just as good of a news organization as MSNBC with Chris "tingle leg" Matthews, Ed Schultz and Keith "should have stuck with sports" Oberlin chanting the administration can do no wrong montra.

All those shows do is bash republicans so why are those "news" outlets endorsement by the Obama regime when they do the same thing the Obama regime accuses Foxnews of doing?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  sliptap Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:07 pm

Lol, I just think it's hilarious that Obama's administration is making such a huge deal about it. It's like a two year old crying when they can't win or get their way. Personally, I'd even be peeved if they tried this with MSNBC.

By the way, Bush never tried to shut down all of the negative publicity he received from, well, every news station that wasn't Fox news.
sliptap
sliptap
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Pez Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:31 am

I would do the same thing... the problem is that fox blurs the lines between what is opinion and what is news... this story for instance:

The White House escalated its offensive against Fox News on Sunday by urging other news organizations to stop "following Fox" and instead join the administration's attempt to marginalize the channel.

White House chief of staff Rahm Emanuel told CNN that President Obama does not want "the CNNs and the others in the world [to] basically be led in following Fox."

Here... the story says the "White House" escalated it's offensive... First, it's not an offensive, The Obama administration chooses not to make itself available to a media outlet that clearly blurs the lines between editorial news. This very story is an obvious example. We see in the first paragraph that the Fox writer has chose to paraphase the quote from Emanuel as an escalation of an offensive, when it's clear that he is suggesting that he doesnt want other news organizations to become opinion shows that run under the guise of news. Where in Rahm's quote is an "offensive" being escalated? Fox here is exposing their boas and inflating their own self importance by placing their own emphasis on a quote where they see fit. Is this a news piece or an opinion piece? They even edited trimmed off the end of the quote:

"...And more importantly is not have the CNN's and the others in the world basically be led and following Fox as if that what they're trying to do is a legitimate news organization in the sense of both sides' sense of a valued opinion."

IS this a news piece or an opinion piece?

Obama senior adviser David Axelrod went further by calling on media outlets to join the administration in declaring that Fox is "not a news organization."

"Other news organizations like yours ought not to treat them that way," Axelrod counseled ABC's George Stephanopoulos. "We're not going to treat them that way."

Went further? He is stating exactly what the administration has stated before, that Fox is an opinion network masquerading as news. How is this going "further?" Going further with what? Here again the Fox writer is very clearly assigning a Fox a level of importance to the administration that clearly isnt there. Is this a news piece or an opinion piece?

By urging other news outlets to side with the administration, Obama aides officials dramatically upped the ante in the war of words that began earlier this month, when White House communications director Anita Dunn branded Fox "opinion journalism masquerading as news."

On Sunday, Fox's Chris Wallace retorted: "We wanted to ask Dunn about her criticism, but, as they've done every week since August, the White House refused to make any administration officials available to 'FOX News Sunday' to talk about this or anything else."
I side with Dunn here, Fox is conservatively biased in even the most basic of 'news' stories. Why would the administration even give these people the time of day? The administration called it for what it is, and just about everyone knows what it is. If I were the administration I would not give Fox the time of day. This isnt about supressing negative news, it's about the legitimacy of Fox's journalistic credentials and where they are found wanting.

I think it's interesting that they interviewed their own contributor here. Is this a news story or an opinion story?

The White House stopped providing guests to 'Fox News Sunday' after Wallace fact-checked controversial assertions made by Tammy Duckworth, assistant secretary of the Department of Veterans Affairs, in August. Dunn said fact-checking an administration official was "something I've never seen a Sunday show do."

"She criticized 'FOX News Sunday' last week for fact-checking -- fact-checking -- an administration official," Wallace said Sunday. "They didn't say that our fact-checking was wrong. They just said that we had dared to fact-check."

"Let's fact-check Anita Dunn, because last Sunday she said that Fox ignores Republican scandals, and she specifically mentioned the scandal involving Nevada senator John Ensign," Wallace added. "A number of Fox News shows have run stories about Senator Ensign. Anita Dunn's facts were just plain wrong."
Here we see Dunn's words "something I've never seen a Sunday show do"... turned into "Dared to fact check" Fox is interviewing it's own columnists (opinion columnists) for their own news stories, and note that it's the longest quote in the story... if this is a news story, why are they interviewing their own columnists? Again... is this a news story or an opinion story??

Surprisingly? Really? I'm sure Michael Clemente is not a stupid individual... he is likely smart enough to not be surprised by such things. And his quote is completely sophomoric, crafted to criticise the administration that dares --dares-- to not give the piece of shit that is fox news the time of day.

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Pez Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:34 am

sliptap wrote:
By the way, Bush never tried to shut down all of the negative publicity he received from, well, every news station that wasn't Fox news.

Are you saying that Bush never did anything to warrant negative publicity, or that Fox news was wrong in not covering those negative aspects of the Bush presidency?

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:02 am

Pez, no offense but IMO these are not strong examples of a news organization giving opinions. I mean complaining about usage of "went further" is getting a tad nitpicky. And it is an offensive if the White House is giving their opinion of Fox News's reporting, which by the way is more than just a little bit hypocritical.

I also find it interesting that Chris Wallace was a well respected journalist until he joined Fox. Did I miss where he changed his approach to covering the news at some point?
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:10 am

Markwes wrote:Pez, no offense but IMO these are not strong examples of a news organization giving opinions. I mean complaining about usage of "went further" is getting a tad nitpicky. And it is an offensive if the White House is giving their opinion of Fox News's reporting, which by the way is more than just a little bit hypocritical.

I also find it interesting that Chris Wallace was a well respected journalist until he joined Fox. Did I miss where he changed his approach to covering the news at some point?

...talk about Kool-aid Rolling Eyes

Opinion as fact? News? Journalism? WTF, do these words mean?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Pez Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:23 am

Markwes wrote:Pez, no offense but IMO these are not strong examples of a news organization giving opinions. I mean complaining about usage of "went further" is getting a tad nitpicky. And it is an offensive if the White House is giving their opinion of Fox News's reporting, which by the way is more than just a little bit hypocritical.

None taken... I literally just grabbed the first story that I found and was able to find several examples of bias against the administration... they edited the Emmanuel quote for their purpose, and in doing so changed the context of what he meant b y the phrase 'follow Fox'. They are choosing words like "escalated the offensive", and they are interviewing their own columnists and giving them a stump to stand on....

What are your thoughts, is this story an opinion piece or a news piece?

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:27 am

Okay, all slammin' aside.

But it sure seems to me that while Pez's response was well thought out and expressed specific points, couldn't one just 'plagerize' the same reply and insert CNN, MSNBC, CBS, ABC, NBC. I know the WH doesn't have any beef with the others, but while everyone seems to think/agree that FOX leans to the right, does this means it's super-duper dandy that the most other outlets lean to the left? Even though I will admit after 911, I jumped on the Beck bandwagon, I've been turned off for quite some time with his doom & gloom antics. But to think back and remember the days when Olberman used to be on Sportscenter. Yikes, quite a change, eh?

How many of us have stated in the past, that 'it's about ratings'? What ironic about the whole shift in news reporting to me is the fact that it's not reporting anymore, it's all opinion and double standards.

But then again, someone will probably just say I'm a tea-baggin', fear-mongering racist and I have know idea what I'm talkin' about. Arrow Arrow Arrow
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  sliptap Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:55 am

Pez wrote:
sliptap wrote:

Are you saying that Bush never did anything to warrant negative publicity, or that Fox news was wrong in not covering those negative aspects of the Bush presidency?

...i mean, we all can't be Nobel Peace Prize winners Rolling Eyes

But on a serious note, I don't disagree with you that Fox News can be a tad bit biased. However, I honestly don't believe it is any more biased than any other news organization (as LTRT pointed out above). I mean, it is impossible for a news organization to be 100% unbiased in every story.
sliptap
sliptap
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:00 am

Pez wrote:What are your thoughts, is this story an opinion piece or a news piece?
I think Sliptap said it pretty well. Maybe they are interjecting some opinion in there. When you are being slammed by the current administration for not being a real news outlet, it's certainly not unreasonable to expect that they will take offense.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  sliptap Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:56 pm

Interesting mix of stories. I still stand on my opinion though. I wonder how the other news organizations are going to react this.
sliptap
sliptap
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Pez Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:56 pm

Markwes wrote:
Pez wrote:What are your thoughts, is this story an opinion piece or a news piece?
I think Sliptap said it pretty well. Maybe they are interjecting some opinion in there. When you are being slammed by the current administration for not being a real news outlet, it's certainly not unreasonable to expect that they will take offense.

Agree to an extent, but have to point out that a real news organization should be above inserting bias into a story as a private vendetta against someone scornful of their views... We aren't talking about jilted lovers here. NPR wouldn't do it, BBC wouldnt do it... Also, the conservative bias (or as 'some say' it's "conservative balance") of Fox news was well established long before the administration took office... especially with the leak of the moody memo:

"Do not fall into the easy trap of mourning the loss of US lives and asking out loud why are we there? The US is in Iraq to help a country brutalized for 30 years protect the gains made by Operation Iraqi Freedom and set it on the path to democracy. Some people in Iraq don't want that to happen. That is why American GIs are dying. And what we should remind our viewers."

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Pez Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:04 pm

I guess I find it odd that two conservative leaning posters have no problem admitting at least a slight bias when it comes to Fox news, but then seem to think Obama should crawl into a barrel so that he can be shot at... (fish > barrel reference)... What am I missing? Here's a guy who knows that Fox deals from the bottom of the deck, and instead of going all in he calls a spade a spade and walks away from the Fox table.

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:08 pm

Pez wrote:...but have to point out that a real news organization should be above inserting bias into a story as a private vendetta against someone scornful of their views...

Well, that would include every other outlet.

I think I just 'got a thrill up my leg', hope I'm not the WORST person to respond to you. Twisted Evil
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Pez Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:11 pm

LTRT wrote:
Pez wrote:...but have to point out that a real news organization should be above inserting bias into a story as a private vendetta against someone scornful of their views...

I think I just 'got a thrill up my leg', hope I'm not the WORST person to respond to you. Twisted Evil

NPR wouldnt do it... BBC wouldnt do it... and keep the thrills up your leg to yourself, pal :-)

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:13 pm

Pez wrote:
LTRT wrote:

NPR wouldnt do it... BBC wouldnt do it... and keep the thrills up your leg to yourself, pal :-)

Now all NPR & BBC has to do is convince America to listen to them, then all of our problems will be solved. Smile
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:20 pm

I thought for the most part, USnews is a rather conservative media outlet. They don't seem to have problems labeling the 2 articles as "Opinion" pieces in the banner (above the photo of the author). Is there still some significance to the title or heading of a authors work? What I mean is, do people even pay attention anymore in this internet age? Cheers to msnbc, I noticed in the middle of their article, sandwiched in between the mention of Glenn Beck and Karl Rove they gave this disclaimer...

(Msnbc.com is a joint venture of Microsoft Corp. and NBC Universal, owner of NBC News and the MSNBC cable news network.)

I took that as a subtle jab against both.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:21 pm

Pez wrote:Here's a guy who knows that Fox deals from the bottom of the deck, and instead of going all in he calls a spade a spade and walks away from the Fox table.
+1 good poker reference!
White House at War w/ FOX News 795451
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Pez Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:30 pm

LTRT wrote:Now all NPR & BBC has to do is convince America to listen to them, then all of our problems will be solved. Smile

I listen to both, NPR daily, BBC nearly so... I have no control over the rest of America :-)

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next