Thanksgiving Fixins

Go down

Thanksgiving Fixins

Post  Shopaholic on Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:55 pm

The last few years we've done ham for Thanksgiving. This year we are going traditional and just ordered our turkey. Want to change up the sides a bit perhaps. What types of meat and sides are you doing this year?
avatar
Shopaholic
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Female
Number of posts : 464
Age : 42
Location : Shopping at a mall near you.

Back to top Go down

Re: Thanksgiving Fixins

Post  Pez on Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:09 pm

Shopaholic wrote:The last few years we've done ham for Thanksgiving. This year we are going traditional and just ordered our turkey. Want to change up the sides a bit perhaps. What types of meat and sides are you doing this year?

We had a standing rib roast last year for xmas and it was incredible... I like the idea of turkey, I like the smell of turkey, I just dont like turkey... 2-3 pieces of it with gravy and I've had my fix...

so our TG is turkey, cranberry sauce, maches potatoes, veggies (asparagus, cali & broccoli), gravy... corn and oyster casserole (I swear it's not a joke), corn casserole, and about a dozen pies.

I'd love a prime rib on a rotis outside...

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1979
Location : Ft Wayne

Back to top Go down

Re: Thanksgiving Fixins

Post  Shopaholic on Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:18 pm

veggies (asparagus, cali & broccoli)

All of it sounds delish. We usually just do a fried corn or green bean. Since I've recently tried and liked asparagus, I might add that as well. Thanks for the idea!
avatar
Shopaholic
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Female
Number of posts : 464
Age : 42
Location : Shopping at a mall near you.

Back to top Go down

Re: Thanksgiving Fixins

Post  Aggie Transplant on Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:17 am

Shop -- grilled asparagus is really wonderful. Just pour some olive oil and a little salt over the asparagus, put in a grill pan, and grill to desired state. (We wait until it's a little blackened.) Yummy.

We are having our usual chateaubriand, plus horseradish mashed potatoes, green beans, cranberry sauce (from a can), rolls, chocolate amaretto pie, apple pie, chocolate chess pie, and pumpkin pie. Yes, we have as many desserts as we do entrees..........

Most of our evening will be spent watching the A&M-Texas game. The Ags have a shot, although I do think that Texas may end up playing for the national title. (I hope not!)

Happy Thanksgiving, all! And to all a good night! (or something like that)

Aggie Transplant
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Female
Number of posts : 1124
Location : Houston, TX

Back to top Go down

Re: Thanksgiving Fixins

Post  Pez on Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:05 am

We had thanksgiving #1 last night... just the immediate fam and my wife's parents. We kept in simple... instead of a turkey we just did a turkey breast, had mashed potatoes, gravy, corn casserole. Oh, and my wife made a butternet squash soup as a starter, and served in our china coffee cups. a homemade blueberry pie afterward... Was awesome. The turkey breast was so much better than the whole bird... freezer to the table in just over two hours, simple slicing, no big turkey carcass to deal with later... it fed six easily (two of the six are under 5)

Thanksgiving #2 is Thursday, followed by #3 on Sunday. TG is easily my favorite holiday... it's like Christmas without the presents and trees and lights and whatnot.

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1979
Location : Ft Wayne

Back to top Go down

Re: Thanksgiving Fixins

Post  Guest on Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:14 pm

I'm going to do Cornish game hens Thursday. Mashed potatoes w/garlic and Asiago (and gravy). Green beans, leafy green salad. Probably get one of those store bought pumpkin pies (so the wifey can make something Very Happy) Oh, and this morning she asked me to do cranberry salad with apples, marshmallows, cool whip.
avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Thanksgiving Fixins

Post  iberlingirl on Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:55 pm

72 hours and counting til my once a year, Food-Induced Coma!!!!!
avatar
iberlingirl
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Female
Number of posts : 1185
Age : 50

Back to top Go down

Re: Thanksgiving Fixins

Post  LTRT on Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:23 pm

I'll try to leave some of the buffet items to those who have reservations after me. Very Happy pig Sleep
avatar
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Re: Thanksgiving Fixins

Post  Guest on Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:27 pm

LTRT wrote:I'll try to leave some of the buffet items to those who have reservations after me. Very Happy pig Sleep

Old Country Buffet? That used to be one of my dad's favorites... good memories! THX LTRT
avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Thanksgiving Fixins

Post  LTRT on Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:35 pm

meta4 wrote:
LTRT wrote:I'll try to leave some of the buffet items to those who have reservations after me. Very Happy pig Sleep

Old Country Buffet? That used to be one of my dad's favorites... good memories! THX LTRT

My mom and dad frequented there as well, but when it comes to turkey grubbin' it's Hall's Guesthouse.
avatar
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Re: Thanksgiving Fixins

Post  floridafun on Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:59 pm

i will be doing turkey, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes/gravy, baked real not canned sweet potatoes, veggies cali blend veggies, mixed greens salad, green bean casserole, corn casserole, and i will pick up pies and probably bake a red velvet cake....mmmm! i have a few relatives and friends that bring food so i dont have to fix salad, or casserole.
avatar
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Re: Thanksgiving Fixins

Post  Canuck on Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:02 pm

Alright my curiosity is getting the best of me, what's this corn casserole.
Pez and now you FF.
How do you make it?

Pez, please ask your wife for the recipe...LOL.
avatar
Canuck
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1717
Location : Kanaduh

Back to top Go down

Re: Thanksgiving Fixins

Post  iberlingirl on Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:37 am

Can~ I am with you, I have never heard of corn casserole...
avatar
iberlingirl
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Female
Number of posts : 1185
Age : 50

Back to top Go down

Re: Thanksgiving Fixins

Post  Pez on Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:13 am

It's one of the easiest, best tasting and bad for you things you could possibly make on thanksgiving... it's corn, cornbread mix, sour cream and butter...

Here's Paula Deen's recipe for it... we don't top ours with cheddar at the end, but just bake and it's done... it tastes like a very moist, sweet, cheesy cornbread... bakes in a 9x13 pan, the ingredients maybe cost $4.00...

Ingredients

* 1 (15 1/4-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
* 1 (14 3/4-ounce) can cream-style corn
* 1 (8-ounce) package corn muffin mix (recommended: Jiffy)
* 1 cup sour cream
* 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
* 1 to 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large bowl, stir together the 2 cans of corn, corn muffin mix, sour cream, and melted butter. Pour into a greased 9 by 13-inch casserole dish. Bake for 45 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and top with Cheddar. Return to oven for 5 to 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Let stand for at least 5 minutes and then serve warm.

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1979
Location : Ft Wayne

Back to top Go down

Re: Thanksgiving Fixins

Post  iberlingirl on Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:31 pm

Pez wrote:It's one of the easiest, best tasting and bad for you things you could possibly make on thanksgiving... it's corn, cornbread mix, sour cream and butter...

Here's Paula Deen's recipe for it... we don't top ours with cheddar at the end, but just bake and it's done... it tastes like a very moist, sweet, cheesy cornbread... bakes in a 9x13 pan, the ingredients maybe cost $4.00...

Ingredients

* 1 (15 1/4-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
* 1 (14 3/4-ounce) can cream-style corn
* 1 (8-ounce) package corn muffin mix (recommended: Jiffy)
* 1 cup sour cream
* 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
* 1 to 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large bowl, stir together the 2 cans of corn, corn muffin mix, sour cream, and melted butter. Pour into a greased 9 by 13-inch casserole dish. Bake for 45 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and top with Cheddar. Return to oven for 5 to 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Let stand for at least 5 minutes and then serve warm.
Yums, I am gonna try this! TY
avatar
iberlingirl
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Female
Number of posts : 1185
Age : 50

Back to top Go down

Re: Thanksgiving Fixins

Post  Canuck on Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:25 pm

Thanks Pez and I am sure thanks to Mrs Pez too...now is this the recipe you usually make?
Sounds very good...
Now I am thinking about giving it a bit of a kick, I will have to make two batches, one like this and add a bit of crushed chili to the second batch.
avatar
Canuck
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1717
Location : Kanaduh

Back to top Go down

Re: Thanksgiving Fixins

Post  iberlingirl on Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:15 pm

I am sad, I did not get any pecan pie yesterday!! Sad Sad
avatar
iberlingirl
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Female
Number of posts : 1185
Age : 50

Back to top Go down

Re: Thanksgiving Fixins

Post  floridafun on Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:58 pm

mine is a little diferent but close..

* 2 (14 3/4-ounce) can cream-style corn
* 2 (8-ounce) package corn muffin mix (recommended: Jiffy)
* 2 eggs
* 2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
after it bakes a while and thickens i sprinkle shredded cheese on top..a nice thick layer.
avatar
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Re: Thanksgiving Fixins

Post  Pez on Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:36 pm

iberlingirl wrote:I am sad, I did not get any pecan pie yesterday!! Sad Sad

Pecan pie is gross... I'm certain that it was started as a joke. It may as well be crushed up spider leg pie or something...

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1979
Location : Ft Wayne

Back to top Go down

Re: Thanksgiving Fixins

Post  Canuck on Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:48 pm

Pez wrote:
iberlingirl wrote:I am sad, I did not get any pecan pie yesterday!! Sad Sad

Pecan pie is gross... I'm certain that it was started as a joke. It may as well be crushed up spider leg pie or something...

mmmmmmmmmmm spider leg pie...Yummy!!! Razz
avatar
Canuck
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1717
Location : Kanaduh

Back to top Go down

Re: Thanksgiving Fixins

Post  LTRT on Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:09 pm

I'll take Pecan Pie anyday over Mincemeat or one of those dreaded fruitcakes that somehow showup every season.
avatar
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Re: Thanksgiving Fixins

Post  Guest on Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:13 pm

LTRT wrote:I'll take Pecan Pie anyday over Mincemeat or one of those dreaded fruitcakes that somehow showup every season.

I have tried mincemeat pie exactly once in my life, for the life of me I can't recall what it tasted like. I have never seen a fruitcake outside a TV.
avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Thanksgiving Fixins

Post  Canuck on Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:16 pm

meta4 wrote:
LTRT wrote:I'll take Pecan Pie anyday over Mincemeat or one of those dreaded fruitcakes that somehow showup every season.
I have tried mincemeat pie exactly once in my life, for the life of me I can't recall what it tasted like. I have never seen a fruitcake outside a TV.
I guess it all comes down to the recipe, I've had some good mincemeat pies in England, who knows, possibly because it was freshly baked, that made a world of difference.
Then again, there was a store here in Canada called Marks and Spencer, they had a pretty good store bought one. Unfortunately, they are no longer around in our part of the world.
avatar
Canuck
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1717
Location : Kanaduh

Back to top Go down

Re: Thanksgiving Fixins

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum