How soon before the ban

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How soon before the ban

Post  Scooby01_98 on Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:52 pm

Personally it can not come fast enough. Latest study as of 2008, 28% of all accidents caused by a driver using a cell phone whether hands free or not.

http://www.nsc.org/Pages/NSCestimates16millioncrashescausedbydriversusingcellphonesandtexting.aspx

http://www.timesdaily.com/article/20100125/ARTICLES/1255005/1011/NEWS?Title=Cell-phones-can-be-hazards
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1642

http://www.nola.com

Back to top Go down

Re: How soon before the ban

Post  Cincy Fan 44 on Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:39 pm

I agree to an extent. If it were against the law to talk on a cell phone while driving, then I'm guilty. Never texted though (either while driving or not). I think you just have to be smart about the times you choose to talk on a cell and drive.

Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooby01_98 on Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:34 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:I agree to an extent. If it were against the law to talk on a cell phone while driving, then I'm guilty. Never texted though (either while driving or not). I think you just have to be smart about the times you choose to talk on a cell and drive.

Thats the problem people aren't smart about it, so ban it. Just yesterday turning from ST RD 3 onto Dupont RD dual turn lanes the dumb bitch decided she wanted the other lane (the one I was occupying), guess what was glued to her left ear. Didn't even faze her/notice she had cut me off.
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT on Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:57 pm

Scooby01_98 wrote:Thats the problem people aren't smart about it, so ban it. Just yesterday turning from ST RD 3 onto Dupont RD dual turn lanes the dumb bitch decided she wanted the other lane (the one I was occupying), guess what was glued to her left ear. Didn't even faze her/notice she had cut me off.

I'm giving serious thought to buying $1000 truck for situations just like that! I think it be worth the money just to say "wow, you've got more money in damage than my truck is worth" Very Happy
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Post  Pez on Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:50 am

On topic, I think it's unenforceable... I guess they could look at your cel phone and decide based on timestamps etc that you were texting while driving... I'm still not sure how much that would hold up, and at that point the damage is done so to speak. Was I texting? Was I just looking at my phone? Was I just dialing a number to make a legal voice call etc...

Off topic, I have a POS truck and was rear ended a few weeks ago... I saw the guy in my rear view mirror and had time to move forward as I knew he wasnt going to be able to stop. My trailer hitch punched a hole in the bumper of a pretty new looking Cadillac, and did no damage whatsoever to my truck. He was cool about it, I offered to call the cops but also didnt want the hassle of waiting around so I said we could just be on our way... an offer that he accepted.

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1979

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooby01_98 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:37 am

Pez wrote:On topic, I think it's unenforceable... I guess they could look at your cel phone and decide based on timestamps etc that you were texting while driving... I'm still not sure how much that would hold up, and at that point the damage is done so to speak. Was I texting? Was I just looking at my phone? Was I just dialing a number to make a legal voice call etc...

Off topic, I have a POS truck and was rear ended a few weeks ago... I saw the guy in my rear view mirror and had time to move forward as I knew he wasnt going to be able to stop. My trailer hitch punched a hole in the bumper of a pretty new looking Cadillac, and did no damage whatsoever to my truck. He was cool about it, I offered to call the cops but also didnt want the hassle of waiting around so I said we could just be on our way... an offer that he accepted.

I want the whole cell banned not just texting.
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes on Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:53 pm

Pez wrote:On topic, I think it's unenforceable... I guess they could look at your cel phone and decide based on timestamps etc that you were texting while driving... I'm still not sure how much that would hold up, and at that point the damage is done so to speak. Was I texting? Was I just looking at my phone? Was I just dialing a number to make a legal voice call etc...
I agree that it's not enforceable. And the problem is that it's too specific. People read, eat, use their laptops, etc. while driving. Those can be just as distracting if not more so. And is pulling off the road to use a phone all that much safer? Even if they are banned, it isn't that difficult for the driver to just throw the phone under the seat or something, unless we actually want to allow cops to search your car.
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  iberlingirl on Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:01 pm

I think the only way it would be inforceable is by banning phones in cars all together.
iberlingirl
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Female
Number of posts : 1185

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooby01_98 on Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:39 am

Markwes wrote:
I agree that it's not enforceable. And the problem is that it's too specific. People read, eat, use their laptops, etc. while driving. Those can be just as distracting if not more so. And is pulling off the road to use a phone all that much safer? Even if they are banned, it isn't that difficult for the driver to just throw the phone under the seat or something, unless we actually want to allow cops to search your car.

I don't know a phone next to your ear is pretty easy to see. Blue tooth piece in your ear little more difficult, but pretty easy to observe if in a conversation and no one else in the car. Reading, laptop pretty easy to observe. It is the thought process that make these things dangerous. As the research shows hands free is no safer than regular phone. It is the thought process.

As far as eating I don't really consider that much thought to be a distraction. Unless your trying to eat a full course meal with a knife and fork. Then charge that person also.

Of course requiring car manufacturers to put jammers in the car would be nice. Car running turns on the jammer.
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes on Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:35 pm

Scooby01_98 wrote:
I don't know a phone next to your ear is pretty easy to see. Blue tooth piece in your ear little more difficult, but pretty easy to observe if in a conversation and no one else in the car. Reading, laptop pretty easy to observe. It is the thought process that make these things dangerous. As the research shows hands free is no safer than regular phone. It is the thought process.
Yes, that's true. I was speaking more to Pez's post about texting. It gets a little scary to think a cop can pull you over because he saw you look down and assumes you're texting. A phone next to the ear is pretty obvious though.

Along the same lines, why are billboards legal?
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Pez on Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:19 am

I personally think the world would be a better [place without billboards, but I Know you are simply citing them as driving distractions. The Nestle plant sign on I-69 between here and Indy is an abomination. Do they really need a 40 foot television to advertise the Nestle plant?

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  IrishGuy on Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:41 am

Pez wrote:I personally think the world would be a better [place without billboards, but I Know you are simply citing them as driving distractions. The Nestle plant sign on I-69 between here and Indy is an abomination. Do they really need a 40 foot television to advertise the Nestle plant?

Off Topic: That Nesle' plant is the only thing keeping Anderson's (my home town) nose above water. Thanks unions...
IrishGuy
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1511

Back to top Go down

Post  Pez on Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:07 pm

I used to skydive in Anderson until the development surrounding that airport made the proprietors not be able to afford the proprety taxes anymore. Of course crashing their Queen-Air had a lot to do with their demise as well. Nothing against your hometown, but once Ace Airport was closed I had no more use for exit 26 :-)

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 on Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:13 pm

I love Exit 22 in Anderson...Skyline Chili! pig

Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male