The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Things that you go huh?

+4
Scooby01_98
Pez
LTRT
Markwes
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Things that you go huh? Empty Things that you go huh?

Post  Markwes Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:04 pm

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/census-advertise-super-bowl-tax-dollars-work/story?id=9745751

This year, spending on advertising and marketing for the 2010 Census will total $340 million, which, in addition to paid advertising, will include public relations, Web site development and a road tour.

Ethnic groups will see some of the heaviest marketing from the Census Bureau because of concerns that the 2000 Census undercounted minorities and low-income Americans, which would have prevented federal funding from reaching these communities.
And ethnic groups are the ones more likely to live in areas that vote Democrat. And the Census determines how many seats in Congress for these areas. It's all making sense now.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Things that you go huh? Empty Re: Things that you go huh?

Post  LTRT Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:24 am

Just another in the long and winding road of crap this WH shoves down the throats of the people of this country.
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Post  Pez Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:32 am

Oh please... you guys really think this is some sort of persecution?

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1979

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooby01_98 Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:26 am

Pez wrote:Oh please... you guys really think this is some sort of persecution?

I guess it comes down to targeted advertising approach. They are targeting minorities & low income. So I guess no census advertisements for Beverly Hills, Long Island, etc.
Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1642

http://www.nola.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:38 am

Pez wrote:Oh please... you guys really think this is some sort of persecution?
I just don't see how it makes any sense to spend that kind of money on this. I heard a radio ad where (and I'm going from memory here) the guy was talking about more stoplights for a growing city and of course it was the Census that told us it was growing. No, it couldn't possibly be the number of accidents or backed up traffic that would uncover that need.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Pez Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:18 pm

Interestingly, the GOP is leveraging the census advertisements to send out their own "Census of Republican leadership". Much to the chagrin of Census folks that think the GOP mailing is misleading, and also to the chagrin of democrats, who are probabaly secretly angtry they didnt think of it first.

http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20100212/NEWS03/302129972

So glad to see the money isnt going to waste, or isnt only being spent on democrats.

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:50 pm

so having generally accurate counts of people in communities is a bad thing...when o is prez. damn him for thinking its his personal bidness.
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Post  Pez Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:57 pm

FF. . . I came across a similar point the other day with regard to the flilbuster. If you are in the majority, it's an underhanded political shenanigan... if you are in the minority, it's the nuclear option you use to keep the country from going to hell in a handbasket.

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:58 pm

Audit finds US census preparations wasted millions
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Audit-finds-US-census-apf-1237252725.html?x=0&.v=2

While the project finished ahead of schedule, Census director Robert Groves in October acknowledged the costs had ballooned $88 million higher than the original estimate of $356 million, an overrun of 25 percent. He cited faulty assumptions in the bureau's cost estimates.

Among the waste found by investigators:

--More than 10,000 census employees were paid over $300 apiece to attend training for the massive address-canvassing effort, but they quit or were otherwise let go before they could perform any work. Cost: $3 million.

--Another 5,000 employees collected $300 for the same training, and then worked a single day or less. Cost $1.5 million.

--Twenty-three temporary census employees were paid for car mileage costs at 55 cents a mile, even though the number of miles they reported driving per hour exceeded the total number of hours they actually worked.

--Another 581 employees who spent the majority of their time driving instead of conducting field work also received full mileage reimbursements, which investigators called questionable.

Census regional offices that had mileage costs exceeding their planned budgets included Atlanta; Charlotte, N.C.; Chicago; Dallas; Denver; Detroit; Kansas City and Seattle.

Ahh, the gov't doing what they do best...
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  jcopetti Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:00 am

LTRT wrote:Just another in the long and winding road of crap this WH shoves down the throats of the people of this country.

I am new to this board but you seem to be the Whiner in Chief and Markwes is your VP.

jcopetti
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Male
Number of posts : 36

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:05 am

jcopetti wrote:
LTRT wrote:Just another in the long and winding road of crap this WH shoves down the throats of the people of this country.

I am new to this board but you seem to be the Whiner in Chief and Markwes is your VP.
And welcome to you too. So tell me how $340 million to count how many people live where is justified so as I don't whine too much.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:06 am

Can't they figure out a way to do the census via, oh I don't know, the taxes we file every year rather than spending all this money on a census? Seems to me you could get a pretty accurate count...
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:04 pm

jcopetti wrote:

Wow, name calling after your 4th post...something you must do well. Sleep
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:59 pm

welcome jc..i see the whiners are whining about your observation Things that you go huh? Lol

on another topic pez brought up his geneology..one of the best research tools is cencus records. fyi.

and tax records in lieu of cencus? fine if we only want to know about employed people.
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:22 pm

floridafun wrote:welcome jc..i see the whiners are whining about your observation.

It's nice to see the left has a new name for those who disagree. Rolling Eyes
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooby01_98 Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:42 pm

floridafun wrote:welcome jc..i see the whiners are whining about your observation Things that you go huh? Lol

on another topic pez brought up his geneology..one of the best research tools is cencus records. fyi.

and tax records in lieu of cencus? fine if we only want to know about employed people.

I don't know most people are claimed on some tax form. Children on parents. Government money i.e. if you receive SS you file taxes. You're unemployed you file taxes. Get alimony, on the tax form. Welfare, you get a 1099 so you might have to file to get a earned income credit.

Can't be any less accurate than we have now.
Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:22 pm

floridafun wrote:welcome jc..i see the whiners are whining about your observation Things that you go huh? Lol
So I guess the bottom line is you can't come up with a justification for $340 million spent either.

Oh, so that's the justification. In that case, it's well worth it. Rolling Eyes

Yes, it's so much better to expect people to mail back something they don't get anything for (or don't realize what they are missing out on).
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  jcopetti Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:44 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:Can't they figure out a way to do the census via, oh I don't know, the taxes we file every year rather than spending all this money on a census? Seems to me you could get a pretty accurate count...

yea but you tea baggers also want to eliminate the IRS. Heck it was you folk who wanted ketchup to count as our kids daily veggie at school to save money for a tax cut for the rich.

jcopetti
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:50 am

awful lot of name-calling by the newest youngling. My spidey-sense is tingling that this little clementine may have posted here before... Things that you go huh? 864173
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:40 am

jcopetti wrote:
Cincy Fan 44 wrote:Can't they figure out a way to do the census via, oh I don't know, the taxes we file every year rather than spending all this money on a census? Seems to me you could get a pretty accurate count...

yea but you tea baggers also want to eliminate the IRS. Heck it was you folk who wanted ketchup to count as our kids daily veggie at school to save money for a tax cut for the rich.

Sigh..... another liberal.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooby01_98 Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:31 am

nah, I think FF got lonely and created another profile.
Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  jcopetti Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:10 am

Kroman wrote:
jcopetti wrote:

Sigh..... another liberal.

well ... another tea-bagger!

jcopetti
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:47 pm

nah scoob..not me. but another liberal is a good thing!
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  jcopetti Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:58 pm

floridafun wrote:nah scoob..not me. but another liberal is a good thing!

We are slim pickin's around these parts.

jcopetti
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:01 pm

yeah..definate imbalance Things that you go huh? 638766
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next