McDonalds / Happy Meal Toys

View previous topic View next topic Go down

McDonalds / Happy Meal Toys

Post  Cincy Fan 44 on Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:57 am

Anybody hear about some group possibly sueing McDonalds b/c they think giving away toys in Happy Meals makes kids fat? Unbelievable! Stuff like this burns me up. Sure kids love the toys and a good many of them probably pester their parents to buy them that...but here's a novel concept: "Just say no." Is it really that hard? Makes me wonder if members of this same group are the same kind of people that buy the latest gaming system for their kids, don't play with their kids outside, etc...

_________________
Life...what a great choice.
avatar
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852
Location : Wherever you can gird your loins

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Re: McDonalds / Happy Meal Toys

Post  Canuck on Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:37 pm

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask them to remove the toys from the meal deals.
If you want to sell the toys, I think that's okay, just don't link it the purchase of a happy meal necessarily.
If I remember correctly, I don't think you can buy the toys separately.

Here is an article about the issue.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-20008571-10391704.html

Apparently somewhere in California it's already been stopped.

I do think it's a clever form of advertising to kids.
Sure, the parents can say no, however would you say no to your kids every single time a new promotion is offered?
avatar
Canuck
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1717
Location : Kanaduh

Back to top Go down

Re: McDonalds / Happy Meal Toys

Post  Scooby01_98 on Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:09 pm

This is more about someone wanting to control other peoples behavior. Another reason tort reform has to come here. Stop these stupid lawsuits.

And canuck yes you can buy the toy without the meal.
avatar
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1642
Location : The Fort

http://www.nola.com

Back to top Go down

Re: McDonalds / Happy Meal Toys

Post  iberlingirl on Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:36 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:Anybody hear about some group possibly sueing McDonalds b/c they think giving away toys in Happy Meals makes kids fat? Unbelievable! Stuff like this burns me up. Sure kids love the toys and a good many of them probably pester their parents to buy them that...but here's a novel concept: "Just say no." Is it really that hard? Makes me wonder if members of this same group are the same kind of people that buy the latest gaming system for their kids, don't play with their kids outside, etc...
I would say to them, You're the adult, be a parent and don't take your kids to McD's, problem solved.
avatar
iberlingirl
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Female
Number of posts : 1185
Age : 49

Back to top Go down

Re: McDonalds / Happy Meal Toys

Post  Canuck on Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:03 pm

Scooby01_98 wrote:This is more about someone wanting to control other peoples behavior. Another reason tort reform has to come here. Stop these stupid lawsuits.

And canuck yes you can buy the toy without the meal.

I agree about everything becoming a lawsuit, it does get tiring seeing that.
The unfortunate thing with many of these issues it's the threat of a lawsuit that becomes the bargaining chip.

Thanks for clatifying about being able to purchase them separately.
I remember way back when my nephews were kids in NYC and the meal had to be purchased before you can get the toy.
avatar
Canuck
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1717
Location : Kanaduh

Back to top Go down

Re: McDonalds / Happy Meal Toys

Post  floridafun on Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:44 pm

Scooby01_98 wrote:This is more about someone wanting to control other peoples behavior. Another reason tort reform has to come here. Stop these stupid lawsuits.

And canuck yes you can buy the toy without the meal.

have you checked the tort reform in indiana? in other states? wouldnt you agree it should not be a big gov issue but determined by each state?
avatar
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Re: McDonalds / Happy Meal Toys

Post  Scooby01_98 on Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:16 pm

floridafun wrote:
Scooby01_98 wrote:This is more about someone wanting to control other peoples behavior. Another reason tort reform has to come here. Stop these stupid lawsuits.

And canuck yes you can buy the toy without the meal.

have you checked the tort reform in indiana? in other states? wouldnt you agree it should not be a big gov issue but determined by each state?

I think it depends what it is on. Take the McDonald's case; headquarters is in Illinois, but restaurants are located throughout the U.S./world. Should a state that allows these stupid lawsuits rule in the verdict in a state where this case would be tossed due to its frivolous, but be legally binding for all it's restaurants because of Illinois law allowed it? This to me is part of the interstate commerce which I feels falls under the federal jurisdiction.

Now if the company being sued is only in one state then it should be at the state level of that state.

avatar
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1642
Location : The Fort

http://www.nola.com

Back to top Go down

Re: McDonalds / Happy Meal Toys

Post  Scooby01_98 on Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:17 pm

Canuck wrote:
Scooby01_98 wrote:This is more about someone wanting to control other peoples behavior. Another reason tort reform has to come here. Stop these stupid lawsuits.

And canuck yes you can buy the toy without the meal.

I agree about everything becoming a lawsuit, it does get tiring seeing that.
The unfortunate thing with many of these issues it's the threat of a lawsuit that becomes the bargaining chip.

Thanks for clatifying about being able to purchase them separately.
I remember way back when my nephews were kids in NYC and the meal had to be purchased before you can get the toy.

Maybe it depends on the franchise. I haven't been to one where you couldn't buy just the toy.
avatar
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1642
Location : The Fort

http://www.nola.com

Back to top Go down

Re: McDonalds / Happy Meal Toys

Post  Cincy Fan 44 on Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:44 am

Several years ago I could buy just the Star Wars toy from Burger King...but I can't remember if they were giving it away with purchase of their kids meal, or if you had to buy it seperately.

Something else I'll say about this...if this group is so concerned about the kids, who is driving these under 16 year olds to McDonalds? It couldn't be the parents could it?

I just hope it's not some "McDonalds Insider" bringing this lawsuit against the company in hopes of getting sympathy/free publicity for the golden arches. With that thought, I'm going back to put on my tin foil hat... alien

_________________
Life...what a great choice.
avatar
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852
Location : Wherever you can gird your loins

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Re: McDonalds / Happy Meal Toys

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum