Federal Judge: Cheerleading not a sport

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Federal Judge: Cheerleading not a sport

Post  Cincy Fan 44 on Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:36 pm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38347400/?GT1=43001

HARTFORD, Conn. Competitive cheerleading is not an official sport that colleges can use to meet gender-equity requirements, a federal judge ruled Wednesday in ordering a Connecticut school to keep its women's volleyball team.

Several volleyball players and their coach had sued Quinnipiac University after it announced in March 2009 that it would eliminate the team for budgetary reasons and replace it with a competitive cheer squad.

The school contended the cheer squad and other moves kept it in compliance with Title IX, the 1972 federal law that mandates equal opportunities for men and women in education and athletics. But U.S. District Judge Stefan Underhill disagreed in a ruling that those involved say was the first time the cheerleading issue has been decided by a judge.

"Competitive cheer may, some time in the future, qualify as a sport under Title IX," Underhill wrote. "Today, however, the activity is still too underdeveloped and disorganized to be treated as offering genuine varsity athletic participation opportunities for students."

So what do you think? As much as I hate to admit it, I think competitive cheerleading should be considered a sport. It's basically glorified gymnastics, which is a sport. To be able to do some of the twists and turns and tumbles to me requires a special kind of athleticism that most of us don't have. Now, just regular cheerleading at a basketball game? Not so much. But competitive cheerleading? Sure, it's a sport.

Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Federal Judge: Cheerleading not a sport

Post  LTRT on Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:39 pm

Just another liberal judge appointed by Billy with an opinion, not much more to say. Twisted Evil
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooby01_98 on Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:19 am

Yeah, I would have to consider cheerleading a sport now days.
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1642

http://www.nola.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SavoyTruffle on Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:12 pm

Just read something about this. Actually, by not considering it a sport, it becomes a VERY dangerous activity in school since it is not regulated by the NCAA. Instead, most of it is controlled by cheerleading corporations. Very bizarre.

Also, one of the reasons they claimed it wasn't a sport is that it was too disorganized. Huh, maybe it would be organized if it was considered a sport and regulated as such.

Generally, I'm all about objective sports (ball in hoop, puck in goal); but as an athletic activity that students take part in, this should be considered a sport.
SavoyTruffle
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Male
Number of posts : 174

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top