Lets pretend to try and repeal healthcare reform...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Lets pretend to try and repeal healthcare reform...

Post  Pez on Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:30 pm

Oy... the GOP gets the house, the dems still control the senate and the white house. Why exactly are they pretending to repeal healthcare? For once I would Like some of these schmucks to at least ostensibly do their jobs. There are problems, and spending time and energy doing something that will never pass the senate, nor survive a veto by the president is not what I think anyone should be doing.

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1979
Location : Ft Wayne

Back to top Go down

Re: Lets pretend to try and repeal healthcare reform...

Post  Scooby01_98 on Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:40 pm

Well that is one thing the Republicans did campaign on so nice to see they are doing what they said they would. Next if the senate doesn't bring it up for a vote how many of those democrat do you think are going to get reelected in 2012? Two are already announcing there retirements. Are they seeing the writing on the wall that Harry Reid is to blind to see? He stills believe the tea party is a fad and will go away before the next election, he has no clue. And this is more appropriate than having Steve Cobert come in and do a comedy routine at a committee hearing.
avatar
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1642
Location : The Fort

http://www.nola.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Lets pretend to try and repeal healthcare reform...

Post  Pez on Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:27 am

Scooby01_98 wrote:Well that is one thing the Republicans did campaign on so nice to see they are doing what they said they would. Next if the senate doesn't bring it up for a vote how many of those democrat do you think are going to get reelected in 2012? Two are already announcing there retirements. Are they seeing the writing on the wall that Harry Reid is to blind to see? He stills believe the tea party is a fad and will go away before the next election, he has no clue. And this is more appropriate than having Steve Cobert come in and do a comedy routine at a committee hearing.

Understand your point that they have to do what they said they would do. I think it's silly that they campaigned on it, because they were essentially counting on the electorate not being very bright and not realizing that it would be impossible for them to repeal the measure. Right or wrong aside, that worked for them I guess, so the fact that they are counting on the electorate to have short memories and appreciate rhetoric over reality is, well, true.

I will be very surprised if the democrats lose control of the senate, especially as the economy continues it's recovery.

I'm disappointed to see the tea party go after Dick Lugar. I think he's a fine statesman and has done a great deal for Indiana over his long tenure. The tea party is a very interesting conundrum... no tea party candidate will run as a democrat, so they need to unseat republicans through the primary, negative the GOP's incumbent advantage. My opinions aside, it's one of the More interesting aspects of the Political landscape I have seen in my lifetime. Probably a close second place to Bill Clinton getting a blowjob and Newt Gingrich losing his job over it... Heady times were those :-)

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1979
Location : Ft Wayne

Back to top Go down

Re: Lets pretend to try and repeal healthcare reform...

Post  Scooby01_98 on Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:29 pm

Lugar needs to go, he is out of touch with the people of Indiana. Personally there should be an age limit on the other end of them serving and 70 should be that limit. Really; was the likes of Strom Thurman really representing the people that elected him. Is Charlie Rangel really of vibrant mind at 80, hell he can't even remember to file his taxes properly.
avatar
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1642
Location : The Fort

http://www.nola.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Lets pretend to try and repeal healthcare reform...

Post  awbinfortwayne on Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:41 pm

Pez wrote:
Scooby01_98 wrote:Well that is one thing the Republicans did campaign on so nice to see they are doing what they said they would. Next if the senate doesn't bring it up for a vote how many of those democrat do you think are going to get reelected in 2012? Two are already announcing there retirements. Are they seeing the writing on the wall that Harry Reid is to blind to see? He stills believe the tea party is a fad and will go away before the next election, he has no clue. And this is more appropriate than having Steve Cobert come in and do a comedy routine at a committee hearing.

Understand your point that they have to do what they said they would do. I think it's silly that they campaigned on it, because they were essentially counting on the electorate not being very bright and not realizing that it would be impossible for them to repeal the measure. Right or wrong aside, that worked for them I guess, so the fact that they are counting on the electorate to have short memories and appreciate rhetoric over reality is, well, true.


The electorate is not bright for supporting the GOP's efforts to repeal the healthcare law? That's why the libs got trounced in November! The Healthcare law is a joke, was rammed through without people reading the bill and it required a "senate" procedure to get around the normal course taken to make a bill a law because the libs knew they didn't have enough votes. And despite the libs efforts to pass the law, the overwhelming majority of Americans did not want the law! That kind of stuff pisses off the electorate and they made their voice known loud and clear this past November.

The libs aren't very bright and healthcare will be repealed when Obama is voted out in 2012.

For the record, there are some good things in this bill like guaranteeing coverage for pre-existing conditions. But the underlying issue, to me, is the government can't force you to buy something! These fricken libs who moaned about Bush taking away everybody's civil liberties are silent on the government intrusion into our lives instigated by Obama. A bunch of hypocrites. Fortunately there are less of them in the house and senate now. In 2012 there will be even less libs.

awbinfortwayne
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Male
Number of posts : 60
Location : FORT WAYNE!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Re: Lets pretend to try and repeal healthcare reform...

Post  Pez on Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:07 am

Your misinformation and half-truths aside, the point of this thread isnt healthcare or not healtchare. The point is that the GOP controls one branch of congress and acts Like it's a great ideological shift and that they are going to repeal healtcare, by God! Even though they knew that such a repeal had zero chance of working. Why are they wasting time with such a rhetorical exercise.

The economic situation in this country is such that sooner or later politicians will have to do what is (at least ostensibly) their jobs. Spending weeks huffing and puffing about repealing healthcare is a juvenile political game that accomplished nothing.

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1979
Location : Ft Wayne

Back to top Go down

Re: Lets pretend to try and repeal healthcare reform...

Post  Scooby01_98 on Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:13 am

Pez wrote:
Spending weeks huffing and puffing about repealing healthcare is a juvenile political game that accomplished nothing.

They kept a campaign pledge. I know you Dems no nothing about that. Weeks??? Try 1 week.
avatar
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1642
Location : The Fort

http://www.nola.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Lets pretend to try and repeal healthcare reform...

Post  Pez on Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:17 am

Scooby01_98 wrote:
Pez wrote:
Spending weeks huffing and puffing about repealing healthcare is a juvenile political game that accomplished nothing.

They kept a campaign pledge. I know you Dems no nothing about that. Weeks??? Try 1 week.

Eh? They talked about it for months if you count all the posturing before the election. I was being kind with "weeks." I'm not of the opinion that they should keep a campaign pledge for the sake of keeping it. There's better things to do than nothing.

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1979
Location : Ft Wayne

Back to top Go down

Re: Lets pretend to try and repeal healthcare reform...

Post  Scooby01_98 on Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:24 am

Pez wrote:
Scooby01_98 wrote:
Pez wrote:
Spending weeks huffing and puffing about repealing healthcare is a juvenile political game that accomplished nothing.

They kept a campaign pledge. I know you Dems no nothing about that. Weeks??? Try 1 week.

Eh? They talked about it for months if you count all the posturing before the election. I was being kind with "weeks." I'm not of the opinion that they should keep a campaign pledge for the sake of keeping it. There's better things to do than nothing.

So talking about it on the campaign trail when they haven't even been elected yet (for the new members) is wasting congresses time how? For the one's seeking reelection campaigning on it to there constituents wastes time how. They spent one week after being sworn in on this bill (2 if you count no legislation action done the 1st week due to the shooting).

Nice stretch there Pez, and only in a liberals mind was this a waste of time. I want the senate to filibuster every bill in the senate until it is brought up for a vote in the senate. Take that Harry Reid.
avatar
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1642
Location : The Fort

http://www.nola.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Lets pretend to try and repeal healthcare reform...

Post  Pez on Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:48 am

Scooby01_98 wrote:
Pez wrote:
Scooby01_98 wrote:
Pez wrote:
Spending weeks huffing and puffing about repealing healthcare is a juvenile political game that accomplished nothing.

They kept a campaign pledge. I know you Dems no nothing about that. Weeks??? Try 1 week.

Eh? They talked about it for months if you count all the posturing before the election. I was being kind with "weeks." I'm not of the opinion that they should keep a campaign pledge for the sake of keeping it. There's better things to do than nothing.

So talking about it on the campaign trail when they haven't even been elected yet (for the new members) is wasting congresses time how? For the one's seeking reelection campaigning on it to there constituents wastes time how. They spent one week after being sworn in on this bill (2 if you count no legislation action done the 1st week due to the shooting).

Nice stretch there Pez, and only in a liberals mind was this a waste of time. I want the senate to filibuster every bill in the senate until it is brought up for a vote in the senate. Take that Harry Reid.

ok... please educate my liberal mind. What was productive about this that made it not a waste of time? I mean maybe we should split hairs, did they promise to have a vote on repealing healthcare reform, or did they promise to repeal healthcare reform?

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1979
Location : Ft Wayne

Back to top Go down

Re: Lets pretend to try and repeal healthcare reform...

Post  Pez on Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:51 am

awbinfortwayne wrote:... But the underlying issue, to me, is the government can't force you to buy something! ...

Crap, they cant? I never signed a permission slip for the F-22 Raptor, you?

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1979
Location : Ft Wayne

Back to top Go down

Re: Lets pretend to try and repeal healthcare reform...

Post  LTRT on Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:28 pm

Pez wrote:Spending weeks huffing and puffing about repealing healthcare is a juvenile political game that accomplished nothing.

Judge rules healthcare reform unconstitutional

(Reuters) - A judge in Florida on Monday became the second judge to declare President Barack Obama's healthcare reform law unconstitutional, in the biggest legal challenge yet to federal authority to enact the law.

U.S. District Judge Roger Vinson, appointed to the bench by President Ronald Reagan in 1983, ruled that the reform law's so-called "individual mandate" went too far in requiring that Americans start buying health insurance in 2014 or pay a penalty.

"Because the individual mandate is unconstitutional and not severable, the entire act must be declared void. This has been a difficult decision to reach, and I am aware that it will have indeterminable implications," Vinson wrote.

He was referring to a key provision in the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act and sided with governors and attorneys general from 26 U.S. states, almost all of whom are Republicans, in declaring it unconstitutional. The issue will likely end up at the Supreme Court.


Still think it's a political game?
avatar
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Re: Lets pretend to try and repeal healthcare reform...

Post  Pez on Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:47 pm

You mean the House saying they would repeal healtchcare? Yes, it was and is a political theater for the benefit of those more likely to eat a newspaper than to read it.

The supreme court will hear it before it's over, I'm not sure how constitutional it is, myself. I know that the notion of being forced to buy something is less of an issue than what people who like to be offended make it out to be. Sure, some people who didnt have health insurance have to now buy it. It's unfortunate that the uninsured get sick and hurt.

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1979
Location : Ft Wayne

Back to top Go down

Re: Lets pretend to try and repeal healthcare reform...

Post  Markwes on Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:14 pm

I'd say it's a "Damned if you do" situation. Still, I like the idea that the House voted to repeal it. Saying it's a waste of time is like voting for a candidate you don't want because the one you do want supposedly has no chance.
avatar
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096
Age : 52
Location : asylum

Back to top Go down

Re: Lets pretend to try and repeal healthcare reform...

Post  Pez on Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:14 pm

awbinfortwayne wrote:... And despite the libs efforts to pass the law, the overwhelming majority of Americans did not want the law! That kind of stuff pisses off the electorate and they made their voice known loud and clear this past November.

k... My BS detector is going off here... To my knowedge, about 55% were against and 45% for the law in it's entirety, however looking at individual aspects of the law, more people are in favor than opposed, and public opinion has since changed to about 55% for and 45% against. Where's this overwhelming majority?

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1979
Location : Ft Wayne

Back to top Go down

Re: Lets pretend to try and repeal healthcare reform...

Post  Markwes on Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:29 pm

I don't really worry too much about how many are for or against it. There are unfortunately too many who are for anything that benefits them, regardless of what it will do to the country as a whole. If Congress voted to give a new car to everyone making less than $50,000 a year, I bet the majority would be in favor of it, but that doesn't make it right.
avatar
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096
Age : 52
Location : asylum

Back to top Go down

Re: Lets pretend to try and repeal healthcare reform...

Post  Pez on Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:12 am

Markwes wrote:I don't really worry too much about how many are for or against it. There are unfortunately too many who are for anything that benefits them, regardless of what it will do to the country as a whole. If Congress voted to give a new car to everyone making less than $50,000 a year, I bet the majority would be in favor of it, but that doesn't make it right.

Good post...

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1979
Location : Ft Wayne

Back to top Go down

Re: Lets pretend to try and repeal healthcare reform...

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum