The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chicago Trip

2 posters

Go down

Chicago Trip Empty Chicago Trip

Post  Aggie Transplant Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:57 pm

I am meeting 6 friends for a weekend in Chicago soon. They're all from Houston, and most have never been there before.

Any specific recommendations of things to do or restaurants to go to? We plan to get a "Chicago Go" card and do some of those attractions, as well as having tickets for Wicked Friday night.

One thing they're really interested in is Chicago-style pizza. I've been to one, but am drawing a blank as to which one. Suggestions?

Thanks. (yes, I have guidebooks, but it's always nice to hear from real, live people.)

Aggie Transplant
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Female
Number of posts : 1124

Back to top Go down

Chicago Trip Empty Re: Chicago Trip

Post  Guest Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:09 pm

We always stop at a Giordano's for pizza. There are several around town.

They have a stuffed pizza with spinach, garlic and enough cheeses to wipe out Wisconsin. It's freaking heart-clogger.

What cool is you can get a half-baked. You take it home and finish off the baking. It's like a fresh from the restaurant pie. They may even dry-ice it for travel.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:10 pm

Speaking of Chicago-style pizza, I've often wondered if, oh I don't know, a place like Denver or Las Vegas has any of the "East of Chicago" pizza joints...

wait for it...

Wouldn't they be called "WEST of Chicago"???

(sorry, it's been a long week...)
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:11 pm

http://www.chicagopizzaandovengrinder.com/

^ That place is slammin. Sooooooo good.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:42 am

"Baby dont you wanna go
Back to that same old place
Oh sweet home Chicago"

Of the very few "big" cities I've been to.. Chicago is by far my favorite.

Gino's is a great deep dish place, I try to get there whenever we go, but it comes in second to Maggiano's on my list of favorite restaurants (http://www.maggianos.com/locations/detail.asp?unit_id=001.025.0047). There is a Bubba Gumps Shrimp Company (yes.. a restaurant fashioned after Forrest Gump) on Navy Pier, and if their food is anything like the one in Maui, get the ribs, they are spectacular, best I've ever had hands down.

The Magnificent Mile is great for shopping shopping and more shopping. Depending on where you stay (most hotels downtown are on the mile or just off it) you can walk it all day. The Aquarium and Field Museum are pretty cool too, plus there is always the Sears Tower. Just kinda neat to go up there and see the city, especially on a clear day.

If there is a cubs game, try and find tickets and go (though I doubt you'll be able to at this point). Bleacher seats, Wrigley, Old Style... great combo... and I don't even like the Cubs, or baseball for that matter.

Talk to the doormen at your hotel, they'll give you great suggestions on where to go.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:47 am

When are you going?

We are heading up May 10th to see Crowded House in concert at the VIC Theatre.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:28 am

I doubt you'll be able to find tickets to a weekend Cubs game. They're pretty hard to come by unless you get them from Ebay well in advance or if you want to buy them from a scalper, which I don't recommend because scalpers suck nuts.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Aggie Transplant Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:48 am

We leave next weekend. Both the Cubs and the Sox are out of town -- I checked a while back.

Aggie Transplant
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:24 pm

Giardano's or Gino's East are the two major pizza players.

http://www.centerstage.net & http://chicago.metromix.com/ are both good websites for looking up stuff. I've seen most of the touristy crap, so I like to hit up the neighborhoods. Greektown, Wicker Park, Belmont, etc...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Aggie Transplant Tue May 06, 2008 9:58 am

What a fun weekend. We stayed at the Hampton on Illinois, which was relatively inexpensive AND a great location (plus free breakfast).

I highly recommend the Chicago GO card to anyone if you're going to do a bunch of stuff. It lets you skip the long lines to buy tickets and pick up your entry at the "Will Call" lines. This saved us a ton of time at several attractions.

Food: we ate one night at Harry Carey's, which a friend of a friend recommended. Pretty good food, and they got us in and out pretty quickly (which we needed, as my friends' plane came in late and we had Wicked tickets that night.) Gino's East was dinner the next night -- wonderful pizza. Wish we had someplace like that here.

The best thing we did was the Architectural Boat Tour, which was also included in the GO card. I have done one before that left near the Wrigley Building and went out on the lake through the locks, but this wasn't that. It left from the Navy Pier, and stayed on the river. The guy narrating was excellent. It was also a beautiful day; that helped.

Thanks to all for suggestions. We also went up on the Sears Tower -- beautiful view. We had tried going to the Hancock the night before, but the line was too long. We couldn't use our GO card there, as it is only good until 5:30. (that is its one major downfall.) But the GO card also got us on the Hop-on, Hop-Off Trolley Tour; that was fun and the tour guide was interesting. The downside of that is that there was very little room on the inside, and we had to sit upstairs in the wind and rain. It wasn't so bad for me, but my friends from Houston were chilled. Three of them gave up on the outdoors on a second leg of the tour, and huddled out of the rain in a small space near the door.

I love Chicago. Now I want to go again with my hub so we can do some of the non-touristy stuff like Jugo mentioned.

Aggie Transplant
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 06, 2008 10:58 am

Glad you had a good time. I'm going to check out the GO card myself for this summer. http://www.gochicagocard.com/

Also, if you don't mind busses and the EL (especially if you're doing a lot of neighborhood hopping, the CTA has $5 daily passes you can get. Unlimited rides on the busses and EL trains for 24 hours. http://www.transitchicago.com/maps/fares.html#e
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Aggie Transplant Tue May 06, 2008 3:00 pm

We took the El once just for the "experience" (I have ridden it before.) And we took the bus to Navy Pier -- best way to get there and it was cheap.

Aggie Transplant
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Aggie Transplant Wed May 14, 2008 12:26 pm

Oliver's Army wrote:When are you going?

Hey, OA, how was your trip?

Aggie Transplant
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 14, 2008 2:14 pm

Aggie Transplant wrote:
Oliver's Army wrote:When are you going?

Hey, OA, how was your trip?

Great.
We went with another fun couple so the trip went fast.
The Amalfi Hotel is a cool place and we got a killer deal on our rooms online
We ate some lunch with beers at Harry Carey's which was right across the street from our hotel.
The VIC is an awesome theatre to see a band.
Crowded House sounded amazing and not at all like a struggling has-been band.
Stopped into a blues club after to listen to come *real* Chicago blues and proceeded to eat and drink way too much.
Slept in late and had a huge free breakfast
It was cold and rainy the whole drive home.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down