The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3/22/08 @ Mid-City - Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW presents...

+2
sunny d
loaner1
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

3/22/08 @ Mid-City - Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW presents... - Page 2 Empty Re: 3/22/08 @ Mid-City - Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW presents...

Post  Guest Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:04 pm

Bman wrote:
cardinal5150 wrote:I try and stay away from events where fat bearded guys outnumber skinny hot chicks. Smile

Hey the way I look at it I blend in at a place like this. Card, accounting nerds would stand out no matter where you went. Razz

I'm a pimp.. even got my funny hat and chalice.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

3/22/08 @ Mid-City - Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW presents... - Page 2 Empty Re: 3/22/08 @ Mid-City - Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW presents...

Post  Guest Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:05 pm

Caddy Compson wrote:Why doesn't anyone in Fort Wayne book more renown indie bands? Why doesn't anyone have the ambition to bring some of the bands to Fort Wayne that come through Chicago and Bloomington? Why can't Fort Wayne at least make an attempt to be hip instead of wallowing in passe angst rock, geezer rock, and really bad country pop/rock?

Fort Wayne is trying to re-invent itself with all of the downtown development. Why doesn't it make an effort to re-invent itself culturally too? Fort Wayne can erect all of the aesthetically pleasing edifices its coffers will allow, but if what manifests itself on the insides remains grotesque and embarrassing, Fort Wayne will continue to be a cultural laughingstock.

Fort Wayne -- a revenue consuming turd frivolously polishing itself while at its core, it's still a turd and it stinks. Urban development should not be solely superficial.

If only Fort Wayne could siphon off the sensibility of Bloomington, we'd have something here.

Speaking for the non-indie folk.. i hope we never turn into Bloomington.

But I have to agree with Fleek.. get off your ass and do something about it. (was making a point, not attacking)
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Caddy Compson Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:16 pm

Fleek wrote:
Caddy Compson wrote:Why doesn't anyone in Fort Wayne book more renown indie bands? Why doesn't anyone have the ambition to bring some of the bands to Fort Wayne that come through Chicago and Bloomington? Why can't Fort Wayne at least make an attempt to be hip instead of wallowing in passe angst rock, geezer rock, and really bad country pop/rock?

Fort Wayne is trying to re-invent itself with all of the downtown development. Why doesn't it make an effort to re-invent itself culturally too? Fort Wayne can erect all of the aesthetically pleasing edifices its coffers will allow, but if what manifests itself on the insides remains grotesque and embarrassing, Fort Wayne will continue to be a cultural laughingstock.

Fort Wayne -- a revenue consuming turd frivolously polishing itself while at its core, it's still a turd and it stinks. Urban development should not be solely superficial.

If only Fort Wayne could siphon off the sensibility of Bloomington, we'd have something here.

You know what...instead of bitching about it, do something about it.

That's what we've done. We (Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW) bring in bands we like. Not your basic run-of-the-mill, cheesedick pop bands. Good bands...according to us. We've packed the house with all of our events. If you're wanting something more, it's up to you to change it.

Otherwise, you can sit back and point fingers and blame everyone else for not doing what you want them to do. It's not rocket science.

Speaking of ambition...where on Earth is YOURS?

Your indictment of me is a bit of a red herring. This isn't about me. It's about Fort Wayne and its lack of culture. I'm not in the entertainment industry and I have no desire to be a part of it. I would support this purported cultural renaissance by buying tickets and so forth. I'm a consumer not an entrepreneur or trend setter or whatever.

You know, maybe Fort Wayne is satisfied with being Fort Wayne and I need to just accept that as reality.

Caddy Compson
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Number of posts : 27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:01 pm

I like Fort Wayne (with the exception of the planned bankruptcy downtown) as it is. Very low crime, affordable housing and a decent nightlife for a city of 250,000 people.

True, the "indie" rock scene might not be the greatest, but we don't have the large liberal/student base like a Bloomington. That's typically where you find the indie scene's is it not? Plus a lot of my friends who are into indie music like that it's not readily accessible, and they live in larger cities like Indy, Cincy and Columbus. Once it becomes more mainstream it loses it's appeal.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Shopaholic Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:32 pm

Caddy Compson wrote:
Fleek wrote:

That's what we've done. We (Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW) bring in bands we like. Not your basic run-of-the-mill, cheesedick pop bands. Good bands...according to us. We've packed the house with all of our events. If you're wanting something more, it's up to you to change it.

Otherwise, you can sit back and point fingers and blame everyone else for not doing what you want them to do. It's not rocket science.

Your indictment of me is a bit of a red herring. This isn't about me. It's about Fort Wayne and its lack of culture. I'm not in the entertainment industry and I have no desire to be a part of it. I would support this purported cultural renaissance by buying tickets and so forth. I'm a consumer not an entrepreneur or trend setter or whatever.

You know, maybe Fort Wayne is satisfied with being Fort Wayne and I need to just accept that as reality.

Sure it's about you. You want something to change. Don't bitch if you're not willing to help make something happen. No one said you have to do it by yourself. Even a simple phone call to a club to encourage that genre of music might make a difference. A club isn't going to book an indie band if they don't know that there is interest.
Shopaholic
Shopaholic
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Female
Number of posts : 464

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:34 pm

Ding. You beat me to it, Shopaholic. Well said.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Caddy Compson Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:29 pm

Shopaholic wrote:
Caddy Compson wrote:
Fleek wrote:

Sure it's about you. You want something to change. Don't bitch if you're not willing to help make something happen. No one said you have to do it by yourself. Even a simple phone call to a club to encourage that genre of music might make a difference. A club isn't going to book an indie band if they don't know that there is interest.

I've made little comments here and there to various people around town about this subject. However, that's irrelevant to the argument at hand. Again, this is not about me. It's about Fort Wayne. For instance, when Roger Ebert decries the present state of Hollywood blockbusters does it then become his burden to engage himself in the production of a film? No. His criticism of the state of things is an argument existing independently of himself. It's a line of thought that's out there in the minds of other people and whether he exists or not, the line persists.

Caddy Compson
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:06 pm

Isn't it dependent on supply and demand or am I oversimplifying it? If there are enough people interested in a certain kind of music, don't you think you would have bands coming in to play that type of music? I can tell you I don't care for country music, but if I owned a bar and knew I could get twice as many people in the door if I brought in country bands, I would surely do it. I think Cardinal has the right idea in that we just have a different demographic of people here. Comparing Fort Wayne to Bloomington and Chicago is like apples to oranges in my opinion.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Caddy Compson Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:53 pm

Markwes wrote:Isn't it dependent on supply and demand or am I oversimplifying it? If there are enough people interested in a certain kind of music, don't you think you would have bands coming in to play that type of music? I can tell you I don't care for country music, but if I owned a bar and knew I could get twice as many people in the door if I brought in country bands, I would surely do it. I think Cardinal has the right idea in that we just have a different demographic of people here. Comparing Fort Wayne to Bloomington and Chicago is like apples to oranges in my opinion.

Your take on things may most likely reflect reality.

However, it begs the following question: Fort Wayne desires to reinvent itself in a superficially aesthetic sense congruent with the iconography of more urbane environs. Why doesn't the "Fort" desire to likewise reinvent itself culturally so as to align itself on the insides of culture in a way that more accurately correlates with other urban centers both inside and out?

You can have aesthetically hip edifices from the vantage point of a distant perspective. But as you move forward and find yourself inside and see things that are provincial and grotesque, does not the outside make a mockery of everything inside?

The surface of a polished turd can be deceitful, and as the surface of said turd is penetrated its true essence is revealed. It is still a turd.

Caddy Compson
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:35 pm

Caddy Compson wrote:

However, it begs the following question: Fort Wayne desires to reinvent itself in a superficially aesthetic sense congruent with the iconography of more urbane environs. Why doesn't the "Fort" desire to likewise reinvent itself culturally so as to align itself on the insides of culture in a way that more accurately correlates with other urban centers both inside and out?

You can have aesthetically hip edifices from the vantage point of a distant perspective. But as you move forward and find yourself inside and see things that are provincial and grotesque, does not the outside make a mockery of everything inside?

The surface of a polished turd can be deceitful, and as the surface of said turd is penetrated its true essence is revealed. It is still a turd.

Hey now, we weren't called the dumbest city for nothing, quit using those big words and speak English for those of us here in Fart Wayne lol!
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:40 pm

Caddy Compson wrote:
Markwes wrote:Isn't it dependent on supply and demand or am I oversimplifying it? If there are enough people interested in a certain kind of music, don't you think you would have bands coming in to play that type of music? I can tell you I don't care for country music, but if I owned a bar and knew I could get twice as many people in the door if I brought in country bands, I would surely do it. I think Cardinal has the right idea in that we just have a different demographic of people here. Comparing Fort Wayne to Bloomington and Chicago is like apples to oranges in my opinion.

Fort Wayne a turd ... REALLY? lol
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2