The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who's the elitist?

4 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Who's the elitist? Empty Who's the elitist?

Post  Guest Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:35 am

Who's the elitist? Elitis10
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Who's the elitist? Empty Re: Who's the elitist?

Post  Guest Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:42 am

lol... I think your picture included the wrong McCain there for who owns what...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:57 am

cardinal5150 wrote:lol... I think your picture included the wrong McCain there for who owns what...

Too funny ... the American people know better than to say "well, it is his wife who owns those things, John McCain is just an ordinary joe who wears $600 loafers."

Maybe John McCain eats arugula too, I would assume so.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:09 am

No one has ever claimed McCain to be "an ordinary Joe"... I think the American people are all aware none of the men running are what we'd consider ordinary, the only one who might be considered that is Palin. And that's only ordinary for Alaska.

However, it's pretty asinine to put forth the idea that when Cindy is banking millions and comes from a wealthy family that everything McCain uses is his personal purchase. Considering you pretend to be an accountant you of all people should know real estate is one of the best ways to hide money and defer taxes (Income and estate) around.

If you don't think BO's kids are going to be owning LLC's with houses and other things in them down the road you're fooling yourself. He'd be stupid not to do that to transfer wealth to them. Same goes for Cindy's parents, they'd have incompetent tax advisors if they weren't shifting assets like real estate to her and anyone other offspring they might have.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:14 am

i swear, the next person I put in the foe filter is gonna be Card.

Everyone's a dumbass, idiot, etc. before he establishes whether they are (or are not) doing things the way Card would do them...

"No one has ever claimed McCain to be "an ordinary Joe"..."

so therefore, this sentence enables him to be an extraordinary elitist? I am sick of his overuse of Glenn Beck logic... (an oxymoron).
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:27 am

The 13 cars are actually registered to John himself, while his wife has hers under her name. Hrm...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:40 am

Jugomugo wrote:The 13 cars are actually registered to John himself, while his wife has hers under her name. Hrm...

I can show you numerous clients who do this as well.. the person who makes all the money has very little in their name, everything is in their spouses.. again.. it's more of a tax planning/protection issue than anything, pretty common.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:40 am

According to American Heritage,

Elitism - The belief that certain persons or members of certain classes or groups deserve favored treatment by virtue of their perceived superiority, as in intellect, social status, or financial resources.

At what point did the definition change to "having the most material possessions"?
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:47 am

Markwes wrote:According to American Heritage,

Elitism - The belief that certain persons or members of certain classes or groups deserve favored treatment by virtue of their perceived superiority, as in intellect, social status, or financial resources.

At what point did the definition change to "having the most material possessions"?

What part of perceived superiority and the words "as in" exclude material possessions as wealth? Do you need American Heritage to use that exact phrase instead of "as in" and listing a few examples?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:54 am

meta4 wrote:What part of perceived superiority and the words "as in" exclude material possessions as wealth? Do you need American Heritage to use that exact phrase instead of "as in" and listing a few examples?
I just need someone to give an example of what McCain has done to give you the perception that he considers himself superior to others because of his wealth, not just because of the mere fact that he is wealthy.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:56 am

meta4 wrote:i swear, the next person I put in the foe filter is gonna be Card.

Everyone's a dumbass, idiot, etc. before he establishes whether they are (or are not) doing things the way Card would do them...

"No one has ever claimed McCain to be "an ordinary Joe"..."

so therefore, this sentence enables him to be an extraordinary elitist? I am sick of his overuse of Glenn Beck logic... (an oxymoron).

In this thread (politics).. I'll take being on a filtered list by you as a compliment. The only people I've called idiots I've stated why I believe they are and typically have done so by using pretty clear reasons and support.

I'm still waiting for you to make a valid argument over in the dow thread since you seem to believe I don't know what I'm talking about other there as well... as opposed to the typical bman response of "oh, you must be a genius" when you realize that you can't argue with logic and facts over there.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:02 am

Jugomugo wrote:The 13 cars are actually registered to John himself, while his wife has hers under her name. Hrm...

Only the Cadillac is registered in the candidate's name. Cindy McCain's name is on 11 vehicles, though not the one she actually drives. That car, a Lexus, is registered to her family's beer-distributor business and is outfitted with personalized plates that read MS BUD.
All the Candidates’ Cars
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:10 am

Markwes wrote:
meta4 wrote:What part of perceived superiority and the words "as in" exclude material possessions as wealth? Do you need American Heritage to use that exact phrase instead of "as in" and listing a few examples?
I just need someone to give an example of what McCain has done to give you the perception that he considers himself superior to others because of his wealth, not just because of the mere fact that he is wealthy.

Uh, how about the "rich" comment during Rick Warren's interview? Basically setting the standard that a household who makes $1M a year is not in his "bracket" for tax breaks.

You need me to sharpen your crayons and colored pencils for you as well? How about I do the coloring around the lines and you can fill in the middle. Maybe you can get a star by your name this week...

scratch
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:11 am

I stand corrected.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:27 am

Jugomugo wrote:I stand corrected.

I actually trust you more than I trust Newsweek.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:34 am

cardinal5150 wrote:In this thread (politics).. I'll take being on a filtered list by you as a compliment. The only people I've called idiots I've stated why I believe they are and typically have done so by using pretty clear reasons and support.

I'm still waiting for you to make a valid argument over in the dow thread since you seem to believe I don't know what I'm talking about other there as well... as opposed to the typical bman response of "oh, you must be a genius" when you realize that you can't argue with logic and facts over there.

You're a complete moron. I paraphrased HERE (on Page 1) everything you expounded on in your chastisement post on Page 3 HERE. I didn't feel the need to run off at the mouth with specifics that are known, but don't lend anything useful to the discussion.

It's like me running off at the mouth about CAS latency times for PC3200 SDRAM. WGFF (Who Gives a Flying Flapjack?)

And I added that McCain's 'reform' is standing at his front door, knocking. He talks all about reform because he knows he needs to clean up his own shit. Hehe, don't ask me which house... his servants answer the door anyways.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:40 am

meta4 wrote:Uh, how about the "rich" comment during Rick Warren's interview? Basically setting the standard that a household who makes $1M a year is not in his "bracket" for tax breaks.

You need me to sharpen your crayons and colored pencils for you as well? How about I do the coloring around the lines and you can fill in the middle. Maybe you can get a star by your name this week...

scratch
So that's your example? My crayons are no good if you don't even have anything for me to color. Here is a transcript of that interview:

http://www.clipsandcomment.com/2008/08/17/full-transcript-saddleback-presidential-forum-sen-barack-obama-john-mccain-moderated-by-rick-warren/

Warren was trying to get McCain to give a number on when an income makes one "rich". His answer was basically it doesn't matter what his definition is.

So, enlighten me on when this $1M comment was made because I'm not seeing it. On second thought, never mind. Even if he said it, it doesn't prove elitism by any stretch.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:58 am

Markwes wrote:
meta4 wrote:Uh, how about the "rich" comment during Rick Warren's interview? Basically setting the standard that a household who makes $1M a year is not in his "bracket" for tax breaks.

scratch
So that's your example? My crayons are no good if you don't even have anything for me to color. Here is a transcript of that interview:

http://www.clipsandcomment.com/2008/08/17/full-transcript-saddleback-presidential-forum-sen-barack-obama-john-mccain-moderated-by-rick-warren/

Warren was trying to get McCain to give a number on when an income makes one "rich". His answer was basically it doesn't matter what his definition is.

So, enlighten me on when this $1M comment was made because I'm not seeing it. On second thought, never mind. Even if he said it, it doesn't prove elitism by any stretch.

The way I read the transcript, he asked both Obama and McCain for a number. Did you read it?

Obama - $150K-$250K you're middle class. Over 250K, modest tax increase.
McCain - uhm, well, ah. $5M

That answer doesn't address the vast majority (96%) of Americans. How is this NOT elitist? He's saying that he'll take action and institute tax reform that unfairly imbalances taxes, leaving a majority of Americans to pay a greater share of their gross income. The other 4% who are "rich" and will pay much less, proportionally, according to their gross incomes than the other 96% of America.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:03 pm

Personally, I don't care which one is the bigger elitist. Unless I'm hitting the lottery sometime soon, there's little chance of me equalling what either candidate is worth. Just give me the candidate that's going to do the most to make this country a better place to live.
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:35 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:Personally, I don't care which one is the bigger elitist. Unless I'm hitting the lottery sometime soon, there's little chance of me equalling what either candidate is worth. Just give me the candidate that's going to do the most to make this country a better place to live.

Cincy the idea behind this thread was to just show the mockery that has been made by the right wing that Obama is an elitist. They tried this on John Kerry and now they tried it again on Barack Obama and it backfired. Obama drives a 2008 Ford Escape, lives in a $1.4M home in Chicago (probably a $500K house in Fort Wayne). Sure he eats arugula, but he was raised by a single mother who used food stamps ... if anyone can relate to the plight of us it is Barack Obama.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:44 pm

meta4 wrote:
cardinal5150 wrote:In this thread (politics).. I'll take being on a filtered list by you as a compliment. The only people I've called idiots I've stated why I believe they are and typically have done so by using pretty clear reasons and support.

You're a complete moron. I paraphrased HERE (on Page 1) everything you expounded on in your chastisement post on Page 3 HERE. I didn't feel the need to run off at the mouth with specifics that are known, but don't lend anything useful to the discussion.

It's like me running off at the mouth about CAS latency times for PC3200 SDRAM. WGFF (Who Gives a Flying Flapjack?)

And I added that McCain's 'reform' is standing at his front door, knocking. He talks all about reform because he knows he needs to clean up his own shit. Hehe, don't ask me which house... his servants answer the door anyways.

Good to know that apparently I said the same thing you did and as a result.. i'm an idiot. Guess that would make you first idiot and me second?

And if the specifics were known to everyone, then apparently your buddy bman doesn't believe in actually reading anything because it's clear he doesn't understand what's actually happening in the world around him. So maybe that makes him first idiot, you second and me third? I'm not really sure, I'll leave that up to you since clearly you're more qualified than I.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:50 pm

meta4 wrote:McCain - uhm, well, ah. $5M
That's called humor, or at least McCain's attempt, as in "You want me to throw a number out there, so here is one". It was a dumb question, based on income alone, so he gave an appropriate response.

And Bman, are you seriously going to use Obama's Ford Escape as an example of how he can relate to us? You don't want to mention the fact that he replace his gas guzzling Chrysler with it last year after being criticized? Good to know he can bow to pressure.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:53 pm

I think it's a safe bet most of us would qualify as average right?

By show of hands.. who here knows someone who graduated from Harvard or Made millions off their books they wrote?

Going to meet and greets and shaking hands with someone who works in a factory line for 8 hours/day doesn't mean you know can relate to them, especially when you get into your chauffeured vehicle and drive off after the camera's are off.

Personally, I don't really think either candidate is more "elitist" than the other. I just don't believe an Ivy League educated person can really relate to "the average" American. But I also believe most of the Ivy League schools are simply excuses for rich guys to have circle jerks.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:56 pm

cardinal5150 wrote:I think it's a safe bet most of us would qualify as average right?

By show of hands.. who here knows someone who graduated from Harvard or Made millions off their books they wrote?

Going to meet and greets and shaking hands with someone who works in a factory line for 8 hours/day doesn't mean you know can relate to them, especially when you get into your chauffeured vehicle and drive off after the camera's are off.

Personally, I don't really think either candidate is more "elitist" than the other. I just don't believe an Ivy League educated person can really relate to "the average" American. But I also believe most of the Ivy League schools are simply excuses for rich guys to have circle jerks.

I figured you would tell us again how BSU is equivalent to Harvard and Yale.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:57 pm

Markwes wrote:
meta4 wrote:McCain - uhm, well, ah. $5M
That's called humor, or at least McCain's attempt, as in "You want me to throw a number out there, so here is one". It was a dumb question, based on income alone, so he gave an appropriate response.

And Bman, are you seriously going to use Obama's Ford Escape as an example of how he can relate to us? You don't want to mention the fact that he replace his gas guzzling Chrysler with it last year after being criticized? Good to know he can bow to pressure.

FAIL ...

That was NOT an attempt at humor ... that is the first time I have heard that spin. lol
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next