The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Granny gets arrested for keeping football

+4
iberlingirl
Canuck
floridafun
Cincy Fan 44
8 posters

Go down

Granny gets arrested for keeping football Empty Granny gets arrested for keeping football

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:05 pm

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20081022/NEWS01/810220412

All Edna Jester wanted was to keep the neighbor kid's football out of her yard.

Now, it's almost taken over her life.

The 89-year-old grandmother has fielded dozens of calls from TV stations, newspapers and lawyers eager to learn more about why she refused to return a football that landed in her yard last week while kids tossed it around in the street.

Dr. Phil invited her on his show, her lawyer is considering a lawsuit, and "Inside Edition" visited Monday to shoot video of her with the offending pigskin in hand.

Jester, who has diabetes and high blood pressure, said all the attention is taking a toll.

"I'm not worried about the football," she said Tuesday. "I'm worried about my health."

Jester seems as amazed as everyone else that a simple neighborhood spat over kids tromping through a yard could get so out of hand, culminating last Thursday with her arrest by Blue Ash police after she refused to return the football or accept a written citation.

The dispute is, after all, so common in neighborhoods across the country that it's become an all-American cliché: The cantankerous neighbor versus the rowdy kids.

"This case cries out for Andy Griffith," said Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters, whose office is not involved in the case. "Andy would say, 'Now you give them their ball back, and you stay out of her yard. And don't make me come back here.'"

But this isn't Mayberry. The animosity between Jester and the neighborhood kids continued to grow until finally boiling over last week.

"This isn't someone who is mean-spirited. She's just trying to enjoy her property, which is certainly her right," said Jennifer Kinsley, Jester's attorney. "She felt this was the only thing she could do to keep these people from going on her property."

Kinsley said Jester is in poor health and was bothered by frequent intrusions onto her property by neighborhood children.

Paul Tanis, whose son owns the football, said the incident was blown out of proportion and his son just wants the $15 football back.

If they can't work things out, both sides may have a legal case.

Under Ohio law, a football or any other item cannot be seized by a property owner just because it lands on his or her property.

"If your dog runs on to her yard, it doesn't become her dog," Deters said.

At the same time, the law also protects property owners by defining trespassers as those who "knowingly enter or remain on the premises of another."

Jester is due in court Nov. 12 to face petty theft charges.

She faces up to six months in jail, but police have said jail time or a fine is unlikely considering her age and lack of a criminal record.

Jester said she's tired and hopes the whole thing is over soon.

She did say, however, that she'd be willing to talk to Dr. Phil if she feels up to it.

At least there's somebody in the Cincinnati area that knows how to hold onto a football! Laughing
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Granny gets arrested for keeping football Empty Re: Granny gets arrested for keeping football

Post  Guest Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:15 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20081022/NEWS01/810220412

At least there's somebody in the Cincinnati area that knows how to hold onto a football! Laughing

*insert comment about being arrested here*
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Granny gets arrested for keeping football Empty Re: Granny gets arrested for keeping football

Post  floridafun Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:19 pm

Granny gets arrested for keeping football 496511 wonder how often the football has landed in her yard? how many warnings/pleas? from what is posted i am with granny on this.
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:48 pm

Why didn't the kids just kick the shit out of her dog or trash cans or something in retaliation.

Someone needs to shoot Dr Phil in the tongue.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Canuck Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:50 pm

The kids probably did this on purpose to get granny riled up.
Canuck
Canuck
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1717

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:50 pm

I bet the kids will start offing her cats... will probabaly have to get rid of 4-5 before she notices.

Cmon, seriously... this is bullshit, give the damn football back and fight nice...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:07 pm

I'd just stab it, and give it back.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:10 pm

Isn't this a SNL skit with Cheri Oteri?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:34 pm

Jugomugo wrote:I'd just stab it, and give it back.

The football or Dr Phil's tongue?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:02 pm

Both sounds like an appropriate response.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  iberlingirl Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:09 pm

I think I would probably keep the football too, I saw her on the news last night, Gramma ain't playing, she was a tough old bird!
iberlingirl
iberlingirl
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Female
Number of posts : 1185

Back to top Go down

Post  anderson Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:21 pm

the bitch went nuts, she stabbed my basketball. Cool
anderson
anderson
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Male
Number of posts : 113
Location : If there is a bright center of the universe, we're on the planet it's furthest from.

http://www.dirtyfootfamily.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:40 pm

man... if I Knew where this chick lived I would clean out my kids diaper pail and dump it in her yard... this is something for adults to talk over and find a solution for... why the hell this becomes national news is frigging crazy...

edit: after I fed my 1 year old some chili and prune juice
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:10 pm

All parties involved here definitely have earned the "Just shut up!" award. You've got to be kidding.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:48 pm

Markwes wrote:All parties involved here definitely have earned the "Just shut up!" award. You've got to be kidding.

Bingo.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Granny gets arrested for keeping football Empty **UPDATE**

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:47 am

http://www.daytondailynews.com/n/content/gen/ap/OH_ODD_Football_Charge.html

BLUE ASH, Ohio — A prosecutor has dropped a charge of petty theft against an 89-year-old suburban Cincinnati woman accused of refusing to return a neighbor kid's football that landed in her yard.

Blue Ash Prosecutor Mark Arnzen said Wednesday that there was insufficient culpability to prosecute Edna Jester of Blue Ash, who was arrested last week.

Police say a child's father complained that Jester kept the football. Police Capt. James Schaffer says there has been an ongoing dispute in the neighborhood over kids' balls landing in the woman's yard.

Since her arrest, Jester has handled a barrage of media calls and an invitation to appear on "Dr. Phil."

Jester says she might consider that, if she's feeling up to it.

The maximum penalty for a petty theft conviction in Ohio is six months in jail and a fine of up to $1,000.
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Mort Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:10 pm

How About A Nice Big Cup Of STFU! Granny! Granny gets arrested for keeping football 795451
Mort
Mort
Admin
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 1400

https://therealboard.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Aggie Transplant Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:15 pm

it's not the Granny and the parents that need to shut up, it's the prosecutor actually filing on this sh!t.

Aggie Transplant
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Female
Number of posts : 1124

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:51 pm

Aggie Transplant wrote:it's not the Granny and the parents that need to shut up, it's the prosecutor actually filing on this sh!t.

cheers Good Call!

IMHO, the cops and the prosecutor have the least responsibility to ensure justice is done. The cops do what they're told, and so does the prosecutor. The prosecutors job is to argue the case against, often times pressing the issue until the accused puts up enough of a fight to demonstrate the case cannot be won by prosecution.

I would never want to be a prosecutor. A lot of the time they're "right", but a lot of the time they suck donkey dick.

Which is why she shoulda just flattened the ball and gave it back to them rather than be a curmudgeonly old fart.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:52 pm

This case just keeps getting crazier...Granny is now suing! (Big shocker)

BLUE ASH, Ohio — An 89-year-old Cincinnati area woman famously arrested for holding on to a neighbor kid's football is now suing the boy's parents.

The lawsuit filed by Edna Jester's attorney in Hamilton County Common Pleas Court claims she has suffered emotional distress because the next-door family's footballs and other playthings keep landing in her yard.

Jester refused to give back a football in October, was taken to the police station in suburban Blue Ash and charged with petty theft. The prosecutor later dropped the case.

The lawsuit against parents Paul and Kelly Tanis seeks unspecified monetary damages.

Kelly Tanis calls the suit "very silly" but says she and her husband also worry because they have five children and can't afford a lawyer.
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:46 am

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:This case just keeps getting crazier...Granny is now suing! (Big shocker)

BLUE ASH, Ohio — An 89-year-old Cincinnati area woman famously arrested for holding on to a neighbor kid's football is now suing the boy's parents.

The lawsuit filed by Edna Jester's attorney in Hamilton County Common Pleas Court claims she has suffered emotional distress because the next-door family's footballs and other playthings keep landing in her yard.

Jester refused to give back a football in October, was taken to the police station in suburban Blue Ash and charged with petty theft. The prosecutor later dropped the case.

The lawsuit against parents Paul and Kelly Tanis seeks unspecified monetary damages.

Kelly Tanis calls the suit "very silly" but says she and her husband also worry because they have five children and can't afford a lawyer.

This is justice. Don't screw with little old ladies... they still have TEETH!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:24 pm

i can say i wouldnt be handing back their toys too many times..occasionally is one thing but this was obviously done to bug her..go granny!
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down