The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phillies Mgr screwed out of Manager of Year Award by Sweet Lou

2 posters

Go down

Phillies Mgr screwed out of Manager of Year Award by Sweet Lou Empty Phillies Mgr screwed out of Manager of Year Award by Sweet Lou

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:08 pm

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/11100973

Piniella led the NL Central champion Cubs to the league's best record and beat out Charlie Manuel of the World Series champion Philadelphia Phillies to earn his third Manager of the Year award and first in the NL.

The fiery Piniella also won in 1995 and 2001 with Seattle.

This time, he got 15 of 32 first-place votes and totaled 103 points to 67 for Manuel, listed first on eight ballots. Florida's Fredi Gonzalez finished third with five first-place votes and 48 points.

Two other managers garnered first-place votes: Joe Torre of the Los Angeles Dodgers (three) and Tony La Russa of the St. Louis Cardinals (one).

Dale Sveum got a third-place vote after managing only 12 games. He took over the Brewers on an interim basis when Ned Yost was fired in September and went 7-5 down the stretch to help Milwaukee secure its first playoff berth since 1982.
I like Sweet Lou, but Charlie Manuel deserved that award. IMHO, of course.
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Phillies Mgr screwed out of Manager of Year Award by Sweet Lou Empty Re: Phillies Mgr screwed out of Manager of Year Award by Sweet Lou

Post  Guest Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:36 am

I agree and I was totally shocked to hear the news.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Phillies Mgr screwed out of Manager of Year Award by Sweet Lou Empty Re: Phillies Mgr screwed out of Manager of Year Award by Sweet Lou

Post  Markwes Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:23 am

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:IMHO, of course.
Oooh, a humble opinion. I like that even better. Very Happy
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:10 pm

Markwes wrote:
Yeah, I figured I'd better do that so that my statement wasn't misconstrued as fact. Laughing
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:36 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:
Markwes wrote:
Yeah, I figured I'd better do that so that my statement wasn't misconstrued as fact. Laughing

Phillies Mgr screwed out of Manager of Year Award by Sweet Lou 309907
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:44 pm

meta4 wrote:
Cincy Fan 44 wrote:
Markwes wrote:

To quote a great american..."TSIW!"
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:23 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:
meta4 wrote:
Cincy Fan 44 wrote:
Markwes wrote:

For the record, it's not so much that it would be misconstrued, but the internet message board medium doesn't communicate "tone" of voice, or meter, etc. Using the correct quotes and maybe giving a clue as to when you're pulling something out of the nether regions isn't (IMO) too much to ask.

How it "sounds" is all in the way it "reads".
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:33 pm

meta4 wrote:
Cincy Fan 44 wrote:
meta4 wrote:
Cincy Fan 44 wrote:
Markwes wrote:

For the record, it's not so much that it would be misconstrued, but the internet message board medium doesn't communicate "tone" of voice, or meter, etc. Using the correct quotes and maybe giving a clue as to when you're pulling something out of the nether regions isn't (IMO) too much to ask.

How it "sounds" is all in the way it "reads".
I agree completely. Just giving you a little shit today, which is not meant to be in a mean-spirited way, so please don't take it that way. Cool
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:49 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/11100973

Piniella led the NL Central champion Cubs to the league's best record and beat out Charlie Manuel of the World Series champion Philadelphia Phillies to earn his third Manager of the Year award and first in the NL.

The fiery Piniella also won in 1995 and 2001 with Seattle.

This time, he got 15 of 32 first-place votes and totaled 103 points to 67 for Manuel, listed first on eight ballots. Florida's Fredi Gonzalez finished third with five first-place votes and 48 points.

Two other managers garnered first-place votes: Joe Torre of the Los Angeles Dodgers (three) and Tony La Russa of the St. Louis Cardinals (one).

Dale Sveum got a third-place vote after managing only 12 games. He took over the Brewers on an interim basis when Ned Yost was fired in September and went 7-5 down the stretch to help Milwaukee secure its first playoff berth since 1982.
I like Sweet Lou, but Charlie Manuel deserved that award. IMHO, of course.
As I understand it, voting is done the day after the regular season ends, so the fact that the Cubs were one and out and the Phillies won it all doesn't enter into the voting. Are you basing your opinion of who should have won on just the regular season?
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:02 pm

Markwes wrote:As I understand it, voting is done the day after the regular season ends, so the fact that the Cubs were one and out and the Phillies won it all doesn't enter into the voting.
You're absolutely correct on that (at least it's 'supposedly' done before the postseason).

Markwes wrote:Are you basing your opinion of who should have won on just the regular season?
To an extent, yeah. I don't think many picked the Phillies to win their division this past year (many had the NY Metropolitans). The Cubs were EXPECTED to contend, if not win, their division. So the fact that Manuel took his team (which was arguably pretty good to begin with) and did more than some expected by winning their division, I say give it to him instead of Sweet Lou.

And let's face it, isn't it a FACT the Cubs ALWAYS choke if/when they get to the postseason? Razz
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:22 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:And let's face it, isn't it a FACT the Cubs ALWAYS choke if/when they get to the postseason? Razz
Yes, sadly. Sad
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:00 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:
I agree completely. Just giving you a little shit today, which is not meant to be in a mean-spirited way, so please don't take it that way. Cool

That's alright. I keep score. geek
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:40 pm

meta4 wrote:
Cincy Fan 44 wrote:

That's alright. I keep score. geek
Well I hope your feet don't get cold when you have to take off your socks and shoes to continue counting... study
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down