The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Baseball Hall of Fame results today...

2 posters

Go down

Baseball Hall of Fame results today... Empty Baseball Hall of Fame results today...

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:35 pm

So the Baseball Hall of Fame will be announcing the new inductees today for enshrinement later this Summer. Rickey Henderson is a lock to get in (if not, each writer that didn't vote for him should be shot on site). Anybody have any thoughts on who else should be named today?

Here would be my list (in addition to Rickey) if I had a vote...

1) Andre Dawson
2) Bert Blyleven
3) Jack Morris
4) Tommy John (the guy had a freakin' surgery named after him!!!)
5) Lee Smith
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Baseball Hall of Fame results today... Empty Re: Baseball Hall of Fame results today...

Post  Guest Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:23 pm

Dude... I havent heard of any of those people... They should let hungry lions loose when any batter hits 3 foul balls...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Baseball Hall of Fame results today... Empty Re: Baseball Hall of Fame results today...

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:36 pm

pez wrote:They should let hungry lions loose when any batter hits 3 foul balls...
I'd rather see that happen if a batter steps out of the batter's box more than twice per at bat or if the pitcher steps off the mound more than once to "roll thru the signs" again. Twisted Evil
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:42 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:So the Baseball Hall of Fame will be announcing the new inductees today for enshrinement later this Summer. Rickey Henderson is a lock to get in (if not, each writer that didn't vote for him should be shot on site). Anybody have any thoughts on who else should be named today?

Here would be my list (in addition to Rickey) if I had a vote...

1) Andre Dawson
2) Bert Blyleven
3) Jack Morris
4) Tommy John (the guy had a freakin' surgery named after him!!!)
5) Lee Smith
I definitely agree with "The Hawk" and Blyleven. And maybe Tommy John. Morris's career ERA (3.90 or thereabouts) is just too high for me to warrant HOF consideration. And as much as I like Lee Smith, being the Cubs fan that I am, I'm not that big on relief pitchers. Now for who you left off that I would pick. No Alan Trammell on your list? This guy had huge numbers at a position (shortstop) not known for huge numbers, and he was very good defensively too. All I can say is if Ozzie Smith made it in, no way can they snub Trammell. Tim Raines has got to be there too in my opinion. And I'll probably get some slack for this, but Mark McGwire. Hey, HOF consideration should be based on numbers. If they institute a rule that says known users of steroids can't be allowed in, then fine, leave him out. But until then, he should be voted in.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:09 pm

Jack Morris was the winningest pitcher in the 80s, and was a major factor in World Series by the Tigers in 84 and the Blue Jays in '91. His 254 wins may not be as many as the "magical 300" that seemingly gets you an automatic plaque in the HOF, but for me he passes the "Smell Test." He smells like a Hall of Famer. Trammell? Not so much. I'm on the fence with that one. I agree with you his offensive numbers far surpass the Wizard of Oz, but he's just not a "sexy" pick for me. Was he ever an MVP? Did he lead the league in homers or RBIs or batting average or hits? No. Trams was one of the better Shortstops during his time, but if you put him in, then Tony Fernandez also needs to go in. But neither one of them should go in before Dave Concepcion! If there was a "Hall of Very Good", then yeah, Trammell goes in to that.

"Rock" Raines passes the smell test. Put him in. I'll give you McGwire if you give me Pete Rose... Very Happy

As for not being big on Relief Pitchers, that's fine. However, as important of a position as it has become for every team, he rises above most as being one of the best, so I think you need to put him in, especially after Sutter and the Goose got in recently.
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:41 pm

Hold the horses! I forgot one...Jim Rice. Smell Test-approved. 382 dingers, 1400+ RBIs, almost 2500 hits, .298 career BA. And he was probably one of the most feared sluggers of his era. If Andre Dawson goes in, so should Rice. If Rice would have played in today's day and age, you can bet he'd have over 500 homers and 1600 RBIs.
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:54 pm

Here are some career stats from baseball-reference.com:

Concepcion - .267 BA, 101 HR's, .322 OBP, 5 Golden Gloves
Trammell - .285 BA, 185 HR's, .352 OBP, 4 Golden Gloves
Fernandez - .288 BA, 94 HR's, .347 OBP, 4 Golden Gloves

Trammell missed out on MVP in 1987 but went 2nd, to Tim Raines.

I'll give you Rice. Great player.

Yes, Morris led the 80's in wins. He also led the decade in runs allowed, base runners allowed and wild pitches.

I report, you decide. Very Happy
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:05 pm

Markwes wrote:Here are some career stats from baseball-reference.com:

Yes, Morris led the 80's in wins. He also led the decade in runs allowed, base runners allowed and wild pitches.

Check your story there sparky. Trammell finished 2nd to George Bell in the MVP vote (both were in the AL, Raines was in the NL). Raines BTW finished 7th that year in the NL. Dawson finished 1st.

Maybe we should just put Concepcion, Trammell, and Fernandez in the Hall of Very Good! Very Happy
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:22 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:
Markwes wrote:Here are some career stats from baseball-reference.com:

Check your story there sparky. Trammell finished 2nd to George Bell in the MVP vote (both were in the AL, Raines was in the NL). Raines BTW finished 7th that year in the NL. Dawson finished 1st.

Maybe we should just put Concepcion, Trammell, and Fernandez in the Hall of Very Good! Very Happy
Whoopsie, read that 1987 MVP voting wrong! Embarassed

One voter says he goofed by not voting for Henderson. Really, ya think so?

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Old-man-admits-to-mistake-in-not-voting-for-fell?urn=mlb,133355

"If I had properly researched the situation, I would have voted for Rickey Henderson if for no other reason than he played for nine ball teams," he said. "Imagine that. He'll be the first Hall of Famer to have a bronze bust with nine caps stacked on his head.

"He was a wonderful player and I simply goofed. I voted for eight deserving men. I could have picked two more — and I wish to heck I had."
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:10 pm

Well, after all that speculation, the only one other than Henderson to get voted in was Jim Rice. Baseball Hall of Fame results today... 638766
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down