The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NCAA tourney

4 posters

Go down

NCAA tourney Empty NCAA tourney

Post  Markwes Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:23 pm

I have read about articles and quotes, more than I can remember, about how the Big Ten did not deserve 7 teams in the tournament this year. While I agree there are no dominant teams like some other conferences, some sports figures, including Bob Knight, need to understand a basic concept. The NCAA selection committee does not start with asking how strong each conference is and then how many teams should go. Each team is judged individually with conference strength being one factor. Obviously a major conference as equal as the Big Ten will have many teams. Is that a difficult concept?
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

NCAA tourney Empty Re: NCAA tourney

Post  Aggie Transplant Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:16 am

You know, who cares who is picked -- it matters who wins.....

Aggie Transplant
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Female
Number of posts : 1124

Back to top Go down

Post  IrishGuy Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:02 am

Aggie Transplant wrote:You know, who cares who is picked -- it matters who wins.....

You can't win in the tournamet if you're not picked to play in the tournament.
IrishGuy
IrishGuy
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1511

Back to top Go down

Post  Aggie Transplant Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:21 am

Then, let them win the NITs and boast that they should have made the NCAA tourney.

Aggie Transplant
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooby01_98 Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:37 am

I think the big 10 has been very overrated this year, going on past years performance/reputations. Several big 10 schools shouldn't have been invited. Wisconsin didn't beat anyone this year rated in the top 25 outside the conference. Minnesota didn't deserve to go, got lucky with Louisville in December nothing since. Illinois....maybe but watching W Kentucky ekkk out the win I'm not too sure. Michigan same as Illinois, actually had some good victories outside the conference. Ohio State started out the year in good shape kind of the same as Michigan.

Really only Purdue and Michigan State deserve to be in the conference with Ohio state along with either Illinois or Michigan rounding out the 4 that the conference should have gotten.
Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1642

http://www.nola.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:28 am

If we look at RPI, Illinois was 24th. There is no way they would have been excluded. The bottom 3 of the ones that made it in were:
Minnesota 38
Michigan 42
Wisconsin 48
Going by those rankings, it's hard to argue that they shouldn't have been selected. If any conference has underperformed in the tourney, it's the SEC with a record of 1 - 3.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Aggie Transplant Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:42 pm

I think the Big 12 has done very well this year.

Aggie Transplant
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooby01_98 Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:05 pm

Other than ranked big 10 teams who did Wisconsin, Minnesota and Illinois beat???? No one... At least Michigan beat Duke and Clemson 2 rated teams not in the big 10

RPI stats are proving to mean nothing as you see as only Michigan didn't get beat in the first game in the tourney other than the 2 that really belong.
Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1642

http://www.nola.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:52 pm

Scooby01_98 wrote:Other than ranked big 10 teams who did Wisconsin, Minnesota and Illinois beat???? No one... At least Michigan beat Duke and Clemson 2 rated teams not in the big 10

RPI stats are proving to mean nothing as you see as only Michigan didn't get beat in the first game in the tourney other than the 2 that really belong.
I understand your point but if you're going to use non-conference wins against ranked opponents as a basis of who deserves to be in the tournament, then Michigan State and Purdue are undeserving too, because I don't think either of them accomplished that (although of course Purdue had an automatic bid which makes that a moot point). In reality, schools do not normally include a lot of quality teams in their non-conference schedule and may only meet 1 ranked team, or none at all.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down