The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Republican Senator, Arlen Specter switches to Democratic party.

+3
Markwes
LTRT
Canuck
7 posters

Go down

Republican Senator, Arlen Specter switches to Democratic party. Empty Republican Senator, Arlen Specter switches to Democratic party.

Post  Canuck Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:51 pm

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/afp/090428/usa/us_politics_senate_specter

WASHINGTON (AFP) - Senior Republican Senator Arlen Specter announced Tuesday that he was becoming a Democrat, boosting President Barack Obama's ability to drive his audacious agenda through the US Congress.

"I now find my political philosophy more in line with Democrats than Republicans," the senator from Pennsylvania said on his campaign website. "I have decided to run for re-election in 2010 in the Democratic primary."
Canuck
Canuck
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1717

Back to top Go down

Republican Senator, Arlen Specter switches to Democratic party. Empty Re: Republican Senator, Arlen Specter switches to Democratic party.

Post  LTRT Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:09 pm

Senate Democratic Majority Leader Harry Reid praised Specter -- the fifth most senior Republican before the shift -- as "a man of honor and integrity and a fine public servant" and welcomed him with open arms.

This coming from the man who said, "the war is lost". Rolling Eyes

"I am unwilling to have my twenty-nine year Senate record judged by the Pennsylvania Republican primary electorate. I have not represented the Republican Party. I have represented the people of Pennsylvania," he said.

See ya...............
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Republican Senator, Arlen Specter switches to Democratic party. Empty Re: Republican Senator, Arlen Specter switches to Democratic party.

Post  Markwes Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:03 am

I might have had more respect for him had he done this when the Republicans were in charge.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Pez Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:13 am

Markwes wrote:I might have had more respect for him had he done this when the Republicans were in charge.

I was going to make the same point... I personally think with the polarization of the parties ideological viewpoints, a move from republican to independent would be a bit more believable. There's politics at work here, and while that is a politician's job, I dont think he's being that respectful to the intelligence of the electorate...

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1979

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooby01_98 Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:59 am

My biggest problem with this is when they change in mid term. If you want to be a D you should run and win the election as a D and hold that till your next reelection, same for a R. I think from his own remarks he could care less about either party(or the country) and more worried about his continued effort to feed at the public trough.
Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1642

http://www.nola.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:21 pm

I guess it's still a free country for now, but I think it's pretty shitty to change teams mid-stream.
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Mon May 25, 2009 7:42 am

yeah he would have been showing so much more smarts if he stuck with the party of no, the splintered party suffering from so many self inflicted wounds that it cant even figure out what it stands for anymore. the party that when it does offer an alternate solution to anything its so vague and without any actual numbers or actions to implement that it comes down to saying just say no just because.

of course he did it because the dems will do what they can to keep him in office. hell the repubs are vocal about their decision to not support any fellow repub who disagrees with ANYTHING any of their multiple conflicting voices are calling for..and of course for agreeing with anything a dem says.

when he became and stuck with being a repub for all those years, did the repubs support him? SOUR GRAPES of losers!
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down