The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

California high court upholds gay marriage ban

+2
Pez
LTRT
6 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

California high court upholds gay marriage ban Empty California high court upholds gay marriage ban

Post  LTRT Tue May 26, 2009 2:16 pm

California high court upholds gay marriage ban but allows existing same-sex marriages to stand
May 26 12:03 PM US/Eastern

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - California high court upholds gay marriage ban but allows existing same-sex marriages to stand.
Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

floridafun wrote:...that the mormans temporarily bought the prop 8 vote last year...

humm, those mormons must've paid off the CA supreme court... Rolling Eyes
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

California high court upholds gay marriage ban Empty Re: California high court upholds gay marriage ban

Post  Guest Tue May 26, 2009 2:20 pm

LTRT wrote:California high court upholds gay marriage ban but allows existing same-sex marriages to stand
May 26 12:03 PM US/Eastern

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - California high court upholds gay marriage ban but allows existing same-sex marriages to stand.
Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

floridafun wrote:...that the mormans temporarily bought the prop 8 vote last year...

humm, those mormons must've paid off the CA supreme court... Rolling Eyes

By allowing the existing same sex marriages to stand that simply means this case gets taken to the US Supreme Court. The Ca SC took the middle of the road position and punted the ball up the food chain. I bet your AWB site is rejoicing today!!!! Rolling Eyes
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

California high court upholds gay marriage ban Empty Re: California high court upholds gay marriage ban

Post  LTRT Tue May 26, 2009 2:28 pm

Bman wrote:...I bet your AWB site is rejoicing today!!!! Rolling Eyes

I would have no idea, why don't you check it out and let us all know.
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 26, 2009 2:35 pm

Seriously, why not simply call gay marriage a "civil union"? ...take this issue away from the gay folks for a minute and let me pose a scenario.

I know people that have lived together (brother and sister, both unmarried and childless) in their childhood home for years together after their mother and father passed on. Why shouldn't they be able to use a "civil union" agreement to enable them tax benefits/estate/etc. as compared to a married couple who share in very similar domestic living arrangements, with only the addition of sexual relations or raising children? Is it really *that* confusing to think of this as a collection of legally binding agreements under the umbrella term "civil union"?

Or are we really only afraid of or concerned about the possibility of the going's on inside the "House of Yes"?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 26, 2009 2:46 pm

meta4 wrote:Seriously, why not simply call gay marriage a "civil union"? ...take this issue away from the gay folks for a minute and let me pose a scenario.

I know people that have lived together (brother and sister, both unmarried and childless) in their childhood home for years together after their mother and father passed on. Why shouldn't they be able to use a "civil union" agreement to enable them tax benefits/estate/etc. as compared to a married couple who share in very similar domestic living arrangements, with only the addition of sexual relations or raising children? Is it really *that* confusing to think of this as a collection of legally binding agreements under the umbrella term "civil union"?

Or are we really only afraid of or concerned about the possibility of the going's on inside the "House of Yes"?

If someone can show me how same sex marriage harms them (like Doe) then I would not support legalizing gay marriage or civil unions. I do not see how Meta and his wifes marriage or life style is harmed by allow same sex marriages. I kind of agree with you Meta in terms of calling both opposite sex marriage and same sex marriage as civil unions from a legal perspective and allow each and every church decide what their religion calls that union.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 26, 2009 2:48 pm

LTRT wrote:
Bman wrote:...I bet your AWB site is rejoicing today!!!! Rolling Eyes

I would have no idea, why don't you check it out and let us all know.

We all believe that line.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 26, 2009 3:11 pm

Bman wrote:
meta4 wrote:Seriously, why not simply call gay marriage a "civil union"? ...take this issue away from the gay folks for a minute and let me pose a scenario.

If someone can show me how same sex marriage harms them (like Doe) then I would not support legalizing gay marriage or civil unions. I do not see how Meta and his wifes marriage or life style is harmed by allow same sex marriages. I kind of agree with you Meta in terms of calling both opposite sex marriage and same sex marriage as civil unions from a legal perspective and allow each and every church decide what their religion calls that union.

I think you kinda overlooked an important element Bman. I think you ignored the "take this away from the gay folks for a minute" qualification. I attempted to substitute an example of platonic domestic partnership specifically to take same sex love out of the equation and leave only the domestic partnership quality thereby negating the moral aspects of same sex love.

IMO, I think the gay crowd only wants to gain access to nomenclature of marriage, previously held as a "same sex only" institution... and It's not rocket science to expect that there are those who disagree - that a dilution of the meaning, or redefining of the word marriage is not necessary. I'm not referring to the religious institutional definition, but a US/State/Local legal definition of marriage, and associated benefits.

Church designation of married in the scenario I posted wouldn't apply because neither party (brother or sister) want to go around calling themselves "married" simply because they may (in a future time) be viewed equal legally. Likewise, any gay couple can walk into a church which supports gay marriage commitment and participate in a marriage ceremony, but in most states it won't give them the legal benefits to do so.

I guess the question in my mind is why does the gay community care so much about redefining the word marriage, when in fact, they can go around calling themselves whatever they want. Don't they just primarily want the legal benefits? IMO, If gay couples want to go to a church and get a "marriage commitment", more power to them. That doesn't effect me.

If needed, someone please go ahead help me better explain what I'm saying...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Pez Tue May 26, 2009 3:25 pm

I decided that I dont give a sh** either way about gay marriage... it has no effect on me whatsoever, so... smok'em if you got'em.

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1979

Back to top Go down

Post  iberlingirl Tue May 26, 2009 3:30 pm

I would not someone telling me who I can and cannot marry.... is all I am gonna say!!
iberlingirl
iberlingirl
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Female
Number of posts : 1185

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Tue May 26, 2009 4:24 pm

the word "marriage" is not owned by religion. if i choose to marry tomorrow i must go to the courthouse and apply for a certificate of marriage, even tho there is no reference to any magical ghost or the sex of my intended. really now..was there no marriage in this world until christianity? bzzzzz wrong answer!

for all who think a civil union should be good enough for gays, and those hundreds of federal and state and social rights not covered by a civil union are unimportant, their own marriages should be downgraded immediately to being exactly such a civil union.

no surprise this was punted with the knowledge it would then go to the supremes. the good news is by the time it is finally heard by them, hillarys announcement of allowing equal benefits to partners and families of gay diplomats (gotta follow that diplomats chouldnt get special priveliges fed employees dont get), and the new numbers from the equality domino effect will make it old unshocking news..it will seem embarrassingly silly and will pass with much less fervor and fanfare.
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 26, 2009 5:34 pm

floridafun wrote:the word "marriage" is not owned by religion. if i choose to marry tomorrow i must go to the courthouse and apply for a certificate of marriage, even tho there is no reference to any magical ghost or the sex of my intended. really now..was there no marriage in this world until christianity? bzzzzz wrong answer!

for all who think a civil union should be good enough for gays, and those hundreds of federal and state and social rights not covered by a civil union are unimportant, their own marriages should be downgraded immediately to being exactly such a civil union.

no surprise this was punted with the knowledge it would then go to the supremes. the good news is by the time it is finally heard by them, hillarys announcement of allowing equal benefits to partners and families of gay diplomats (gotta follow that diplomats chouldnt get special priveliges fed employees dont get), and the new numbers from the equality domino effect will make it old unshocking news..it will seem embarrassingly silly and will pass with much less fervor and fanfare.

All the court did was uphold the will of the majority of California voters which is pretty shocking since the California courts are liberal. Get over it.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 26, 2009 5:43 pm

floridafun wrote:for all who think a civil union should be good enough for gays, and those hundreds of federal and state and social rights not covered by a civil union are unimportant, their own marriages should be downgraded immediately to being exactly such a civil union.

See, I had hoped by my post I'd at least appear ignorant enough that I wouldn't be able to quote chapter and verse of (their) position on this issue. What wide array of rights and benefits are they currently missing outside of ... survivorship of assets following death, tax benefits from adopted or implanted children, and insurance benefits?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 26, 2009 9:26 pm

Kroman wrote:
floridafun wrote:the word "marriage" is not owned by religion. if i choose to marry tomorrow i must go to the courthouse and apply for a certificate of marriage, even tho there is no reference to any magical ghost or the sex of my intended. really now..was there no marriage in this world until christianity? bzzzzz wrong answer!

All the court did was uphold the will of the majority of California voters which is pretty shocking since the California courts are liberal. Get over it.

Once again Kroman you are freaking WRONG ... the majority of the California SC Justices were appointed by republican governors. STFU now please.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 26, 2009 11:08 pm

Bman wrote:
Kroman wrote:

Once again Kroman you are freaking WRONG ... the majority of the California SC Justices were appointed by republican governors. STFU now please.

And Souter was appointed by President Bush 41 and he turned out liberal. Got any other IBU (Interesting But Useless) facts?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 27, 2009 7:48 am

Kroman wrote:
Bman wrote:
Kroman wrote:

And Souter was appointed by President Bush 41 and he turned out liberal. Got any other IBU (Interesting But Useless) facts?

Souter is just like me ... a former republican who can't stand the party being run by your likes.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 27, 2009 8:11 am

Bman wrote:
Kroman wrote:
Bman wrote:
Kroman wrote:

Souter is just like me ... a former republican who can't stand the party being run by your likes.
Bman so much hatred in you. How can you say you are a member of an "inclusive" party when you behave exactly the opposite?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Pez Wed May 27, 2009 9:15 am

Yoda... 'So much hate inside you.....'

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Wed May 27, 2009 10:07 am

meta4 wrote:
floridafun wrote:for all who think a civil union should be good enough for gays, and those hundreds of federal and state and social rights not covered by a civil union are unimportant, their own marriages should be downgraded immediately to being exactly such a civil union.

See, I had hoped by my post I'd at least appear ignorant enough that I wouldn't be able to quote chapter and verse of (their) position on this issue. What wide array of rights and benefits are they currently missing outside of ... survivorship of assets following death, tax benefits from adopted or implanted children, and insurance benefits?

sooo...for those who think even only your listing of benefits shouldnt matter to gays, they should be willing to strip their own relationships of those same rights..right?

basically each state has its own allowable "rights", and pretty much are recognized only in that state. so forget moving to another state for a job upgrade or a family situation. civil unions dont allow any fed benefits, just whatever each particular state allows. and again, any folks who think this should be enough, should gladly downgrade their own relationship to a state civil union.

the next go around should include the fact that because the primary reasons against equality in marriage are religious, the infringement of the wall of seperation will be addressed.
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Wed May 27, 2009 3:25 pm

Bman wrote:If someone can show me how same sex marriage harms them (like Doe) then I would not support legalizing gay marriage or civil unions.
And in the same manner, if you put up the same fight for people who like to have sex with a horse, then I'll be more likely to support legalized gay marriage, since likewise how does beastility harm other people?
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Pez Wed May 27, 2009 3:55 pm

floridafun wrote:
meta4 wrote:

sooo...for those who think even only your listing of benefits shouldnt matter to gays, they should be willing to strip their own relationships of those same rights..right?

basically each state has its own allowable "rights", and pretty much are recognized only in that state. so forget moving to another state for a job upgrade or a family situation. civil unions dont allow any fed benefits, just whatever each particular state allows. and again, any folks who think this should be enough, should gladly downgrade their own relationship to a state civil union.

the next go around should include the fact that because the primary reasons against equality in marriage are religious, the infringement of the wall of seperation will be addressed.

I didnt realize there actually was a civil union...

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 27, 2009 4:16 pm

Markwes wrote:
Bman wrote:If someone can show me how same sex marriage harms them (like Doe) then I would not support legalizing gay marriage or civil unions.
And in the same manner, if you put up the same fight for people who like to have sex with a horse, then I'll be more likely to support legalized gay marriage, since likewise how does beastility harm other people?

So what you are saying is that you have NOTHING ... you are harmed in no manner if two consenting same sex individuals are married ... it is all about the fact that you just disagree with it, there is no harm to anyone.

Thanks Mark ...

At what age do horses reach the age of consent and can verbally state that they want to enter into a monogamous long term relationship with Kroman?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 27, 2009 10:04 pm

Pez wrote:I didnt realize there actually was a civil union...

Cool

I just had to use the old scoring system for this.

+1
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 28, 2009 10:14 am

floridafun wrote:
meta4 wrote:

So, I think what you're basically saying is that they lack, and are gunning for the Federal benefits, right?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Thu May 28, 2009 11:39 am

i love it--they are gunning for their rights...without using any other words this alone will get the nra and the religilous riters on the bandwagon California high court upholds gay marriage ban 795451

and ok so i had "civil unions" terminology on my mind because it was mentioned in an earlier post...if thats the biggest wrong that can be pointed out about what i said i must have done ok California high court upholds gay marriage ban 894597
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 28, 2009 12:05 pm

floridafun wrote:i love it--they are gunning for their rights...without using any other words this alone will get the nra and the religilous riters on the bandwagon California high court upholds gay marriage ban 795451

and ok so i had "civil unions" terminology on my mind because it was mentioned in an earlier post...if thats the biggest wrong that can be pointed out about what i said i must have done ok California high court upholds gay marriage ban 894597

I think you misunderstood what I said a little bit re: gunning. I was summarizing the state-to-state breakdown. Under the umbrella of the Federal law, States would be compelled to recognize these unions and give equal rights.

I am starting to think there is no overall victory for equal marriage rights in sight for this issue. Even if the Supreme Court and a handful of states uphold the right for married gays have equal "married" rights, file joint state tax returns, etc. I could see more states may challenge the ruling of the Supreme Court by it's own state constitutional sovereignty, as South Carolina Governor has recently done with an unpopular stand against receiving Federal stimulus aid.

Last edited by meta4 on Thu May 28, 2009 3:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next