The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thinking about a new bike

3 posters

Go down

Thinking about a new bike Empty Thinking about a new bike

Post  SavoyTruffle Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:10 pm

Okay, so I'm going to try to start bicycling to work again - for exercise as well as "tree-hugger" guilt. Laughing Anyway, the bike I used last year was sort of a loaner, and I'm in the market for a bike. I'm thinking about going for a road bike - currently using a mountain bike - to make better time going to work (hopefully) as well as for a new biking experience. Unfortunately, I may be one of the biggest cheapskates you will ever meet, and that is causing issues with finding a suitable bike. I check Craigslist often, but most of the time, they are well over what I want to spend. As I said, I'm a cheapskate. affraid

That being said, if anyone has any good tips on what to look for in a bike, I might be willing to spend a little more knowing that there is definitely something I would be missing from a cheapo bike. Thoughts?
SavoyTruffle
SavoyTruffle
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Male
Number of posts : 174

Back to top Go down

Thinking about a new bike Empty Re: Thinking about a new bike

Post  Pez Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:20 am

SavoyTruffle wrote:Okay, so I'm going to try to start bicycling to work again - for exercise as well as "tree-hugger" guilt. Laughing Anyway, the bike I used last year was sort of a loaner, and I'm in the market for a bike. I'm thinking about going for a road bike - currently using a mountain bike - to make better time going to work (hopefully) as well as for a new biking experience. Unfortunately, I may be one of the biggest cheapskates you will ever meet, and that is causing issues with finding a suitable bike. I check Craigslist often, but most of the time, they are well over what I want to spend. As I said, I'm a cheapskate. affraid

That being said, if anyone has any good tips on what to look for in a bike, I might be willing to spend a little more knowing that there is definitely something I would be missing from a cheapo bike. Thoughts?

I spent $250 on a fuji mountain bike... have had it for 10 years without any problems whatsoever... I know you can get crazy with bikes in terms of cost... I dont like the $50 bike (usually too heavy and will have mechanical difficulty).

I have wanted a road bike for some time, but worried about sidewalks, cracks and such...

Get all Shimano hardware. Get toe clips. Get a helmet.

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1979

Back to top Go down

Post  IrishGuy Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:45 am

There is a guy up at the lake who seems to have every toy imaginable. Ski boat, jet boat, pontoon boat, about 4 jet skis, and all the accessories to go with all. He said he shops craigslist, ebay, sees things for sale on the side of the road and makes a low ball offer. If the person says no, then he has lost nothing. Give craigslist a try, right now many people are looking to unload alot of their stuff.
IrishGuy
IrishGuy
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1511

Back to top Go down

Post  SavoyTruffle Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:04 am

Pez, that's what I was thinking about the cheap bikes - am I just getting something which I'll be desperate to get rid of after a month? By then, I wouldn't really be saving things in terms of cost. And Irish, I check Craigslist frequently - in fact, I did find a bike that I was really interested in, but by the time I called someone had offered him even more than his original selling price. I think bikes must be a hot commodity on Craigslist. Still, for the ones that are higher-priced, the low ball technique might not be a bad idea.
SavoyTruffle
SavoyTruffle
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Male
Number of posts : 174

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down