The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Iran Election

5 posters

Go down

Iran Election Empty Iran Election

Post  Scooby01_98 Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:38 pm

So do you think the election was rigged? Let's see paper ballots with 20% of the vote counted an hour or 2 after the election (heck 8 months later Minnesota is still a senator shy). I just can't go with the results that are announced by the Iranian government. I am hoping this is the match for the fire storm that will get Khomeini's out of power and possible real reform back in Iran with real democracy.
Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1642

http://www.nola.com

Back to top Go down

Iran Election Empty Re: Iran Election

Post  SavoyTruffle Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:12 pm

It will be interesting. I wasn't sure at first, but I have a hard time believing someone who only received < 40% of the vote could prompt such massive demonstrations we're seeing now. Call me a skeptic, I guess. Khomeini has called for an investigation into the fraud - by hardliners who obviously back Ahmadinejad. If it's a show (like I think it is), I think it will do little to quell the violence. I like the thought of having someone who is more of a reformer, but you never can tell. Sometimes the devil you know is better than the devil you don't.
SavoyTruffle
SavoyTruffle
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Male
Number of posts : 174

Back to top Go down

Post  Pez Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:29 am

SavoyTruffle wrote:It will be interesting. I wasn't sure at first, but I have a hard time believing someone who only received < 40% of the vote could prompt such massive demonstrations we're seeing now. Call me a skeptic, I guess. Khomeini has called for an investigation into the fraud - by hardliners who obviously back Ahmadinejad. If it's a show (like I think it is), I think it will do little to quell the violence. I like the thought of having someone who is more of a reformer, but you never can tell. Sometimes the devil you know is better than the devil you don't.

I heard MA got 80% of the vote, and the turnout was 85%. In the run-up to the election, it seemed that the numbers were a bit closer than that. I heard tha demographically, there woupld be large p[ockets of people that were staunch supporters of MA, and poicklets of people that were staunch supporters of the other guy.

I think there might have been some funny business going on, but it's Iran, I'm not exactly sure that there is very much anyone can do about It.

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1979

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:25 am

I think something fishy is definitely going on with Iran's election. Time to send Dick Cheney over there with his "water kit" to get some answers!
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:35 pm

Scooby01_98 wrote:So do you think the election was rigged? Let's see paper ballots with 20% of the vote counted an hour or 2 after the election (heck 8 months later Minnesota is still a senator shy). I just can't go with the results that are announced by the Iranian government. I am hoping this is the match for the fire storm that will get Khomeini's out of power and possible real reform back in Iran with real democracy.

??this vote had nothing to do with khomeni. that said, i am sure it was rigged.
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooby01_98 Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:38 pm

floridafun wrote:
Scooby01_98 wrote:So do you think the election was rigged? Let's see paper ballots with 20% of the vote counted an hour or 2 after the election (heck 8 months later Minnesota is still a senator shy). I just can't go with the results that are announced by the Iranian government. I am hoping this is the match for the fire storm that will get Khomeini's out of power and possible real reform back in Iran with real democracy.

??this vote had nothing to do with khomeni. that said, i am sure it was rigged.

yeah, my mistake I meant the "ayatollah", Khomeini was just the first one forgot that was the person not the title when I wrote the post.
Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1642

http://www.nola.com

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:42 pm

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/indepth_coverage/middle_east/iran/structure.html

The president is the second highest-ranking government official in Iran. Elected by popular vote to a four-year term, they are limited to two consecutive terms. The president appoints and supervises the Cabinet, coordinates government decisions, and selects government policies to be considered by the parliament. Above the president is Iran's supreme leader, who has control over the military, judiciary and any critical policy matter, both domestic and foreign. The president sets the country's economic policies and has a nominal rule in other governmental matters including security and intelligence.
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:52 am

finally..there was no fraud. those tens of thousands who wondered can go home and behave now. will they?

http://www.voanews.com/english/2009-06-19-voa6.cfm

Iran's supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, says there was a "definitive victory" and no vote-rigging in a disputed presidential election that has triggered the worst unrest in Iran in three decades.

In his first address to the nation since the June 12 vote, Ayatollah Khamenei accused Iran's enemies of targeting the legitimacy of the Islamic establishment by disputing the election outcome.

The ayatollah told thousands in Tehran that the people had chosen the one they found the most appropriate to serve, with incumbent President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad winning a "decisive victory" with 63-percent of the vote.

The televised address follows nearly a week of massive protests by supporters of defeated presidential candidate Mir Hossein Mousavi, who contested election results, alleging the vote was rigged.

Ayatollah Khamenei appealed for calm Friday and an end to street protests, saying any doubts about the outcome of the election must be investigated through legal channels. He also said the 11 million vote margin of victory for the incumbent president indicates there was no fraud.

Iran's supreme leader said the opposition will be held responsible for any violence.
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:25 pm

Yeah, I believe the Iran election was legitimate as much as I believe Cedar Point doesn't have any good roller-coasters.
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down