The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

VT Victim's Family's get money?

5 posters

Go down

VT Victim's Family's get money? Empty VT Victim's Family's get money?

Post  Guest Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:21 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080410/ap_on_re_us/virginia_tech_settlement

Am I the only person who has a problem with the families of the VT shooting victims getting paid money? My problem is that it appears it'll be paid by the state, meaning the taxpayers are going to be footing the bill for families of people who were in a freak accident more or less.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

VT Victim's Family's get money? Empty Re: VT Victim's Family's get money?

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:01 pm

I guess it's what we come to expect in today's society. Somebody feels they have to get paid for a loved ones death (I know that sounds harsh...sorry).

But really, in a perfect world, isn't this what having Life Insurance is all about?
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:19 pm

I don't think, as a taxpayer that I should have to pay if someone else doesn't have life insurance. But maybe I just don't "Get it"...

I'm really happy with my Universal Life policy... works kinda like a savings account (although they aren't supposed to sell it like that) and it earns 8% interest. I can take loans out against what's in the account and if I die the amount is simply deducted from the total payout. I'd have to pay taxes on that loan as "income" but I can later pay that money back to myself and get the full benefit.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  rksgrl Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:47 am

If I were one of the families, I would want the money to go towards a scholarship for someone who really needed it. That way my relative's memory would go on. But that's just me. No ammount of money would bring that person back.
rksgrl
rksgrl
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Number of posts : 29

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:56 am

I think the state is just trying to make this sad incident go away. VA Tech is a state school, did the state do all they could to prevent this from happening? Did the school and authorities act properly (I recall they did not lock the campus down immediately), so I am guessing there were going to be some HUGE lawsuits and the state just decided to settle as a class action type thing ... probably saved tax dollars in the long run. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying I think this was a great thing to do, but I can see some justification, we are a litiguous (sp?) society.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:43 am

Well, the government paid all the 9/11 folks as well... taxpayers footed the bill for that.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:58 pm

bman.. so your justification is that we've allowed people to sue for any and every reason?

That's my point.. there are so many idiots out there who think the government should give them money because they've been wronged in some way. It doesn't matter how it happened, someone owes them money. Here we had a random act that no amount of preparation could have prevented, period. Sorry, but if someone wants to take out some classmates, they can do it if they have any intelligence and even a remote sense of motivation.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  iberlingirl Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:16 pm

"Some" in society have a warped sense that money ease's the pain of losing a loved one, is my thinking as to why VT paid. I, however, do not agree. I think that if I lost a child (like at VT) and someone wanted to give me money, I would be sickened just by the thought... I think that the only true pain easer is TIME.
iberlingirl
iberlingirl
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Female
Number of posts : 1185

Back to top Go down

Post  Gusto Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:16 pm

iberlingirl wrote:"Some" in society have a warped sense that money ease's the pain of losing a loved one, is my thinking as to why VT paid. I, however, do not agree. I think that if I lost a child (like at VT) and someone wanted to give me money, I would be sickened just by the thought... I think that the only true pain easer is TIME.

Lost 2 sons in a neighbors swimming pool 44 years ago this month.. Money wouldn't have helped.. Time does, but the memory remains..

Gusto
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Male
Number of posts : 51

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:16 pm

Gusto wrote:
iberlingirl wrote:"Some" in society have a warped sense that money ease's the pain of losing a loved one, is my thinking as to why VT paid. I, however, do not agree. I think that if I lost a child (like at VT) and someone wanted to give me money, I would be sickened just by the thought... I think that the only true pain easer is TIME.

Lost 2 sons in a neighbors swimming pool 44 years ago this month.. Money wouldn't have helped.. Time does, but the memory remains..
Man, I can't even imagine. Kudos for you to surviving it. This illustrates the absurdity of getting money from the state because some psycho killed your family member but not if it is the result of a tragedy not covered by the media nationally.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:41 pm

Gusto wrote:

Gusto ... you must be a incredibly strong person, we should all take note and try to live up to that standard.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  iberlingirl Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:54 am

I could not fathom losing my children. My heart goes out to you. Life is not replaceable and to me, the money would be disgracing to their memory.
I recently lost an online friend, her son was playing the hanging game about three yrs ago and died, so really tried to go out in life but in the end, just could not go on without him. I hope that I never know the pain of losing a child, but I do know what kind of person I am, and I know, that for me, her solution would not be mine. I believe that suicide is a sin and in her case, it did no justice for her son, her husband or herself for that matter.
iberlingirl
iberlingirl
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:40 am

This makes me want to go post over on the other board to instigate someone who lost a child and is trying to profit from it.... I'll be back....
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:42 am

cardinal5150 wrote:This makes me want to go post over on the other board to instigate someone who lost a child and is trying to profit from it.... I'll be back....

LOL ... I thought maybe some people might actually like her but I have come to the realization that Doe ruined the JG board over there ... we had a pretty good thing going over there and she just came in and ruined it ... amazing.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:36 pm

cardinal5150 wrote:This makes me want to go post over on the other board to instigate someone who lost a child and is trying to profit from it.... I'll be back....

See, at the risk of feeding her juvenile ego by even talking on this board, I will say that she's freakishly interesting... like the kind of failed experiment or train wreck that is so disturbing you just have to rubber neck at for a few moments as you pass by.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  iberlingirl Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:24 pm

meta4 wrote:

See, at the risk of feeding her juvenile ego by even talking on this board, I will say that she's freakishly interesting... like the kind of failed experiment or train wreck that is so disturbing you just have to rubber neck at for a few moments as you pass by.

Ok, you opened the can.. I embarrassing admit, I have to agree, she does have some freakish pull to her. I find myself saying, just how far or how deep will she really go.
iberlingirl
iberlingirl
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:33 pm

iberlingirl wrote:
meta4 wrote:

Ok, you opened the can.. I embarrassing admit, I have to agree, she does have some freakish pull to her. I find myself saying, just how far or how deep will she really go.

One never knows... I assume her game is more like mental masturbation for her... (get ready, hold your breath or look away those weak of heart)

I choose not to stroke her off!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  iberlingirl Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:41 pm

LMBO
iberlingirl
iberlingirl
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:17 am

meta4 wrote:

From this day forward she shall be known at Britney.. so it shall be written, so it shall be done. lol
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:40 am

meta4 wrote:

Well said... I was going to say it was a nice metaphor, but It's actually a simile :-)
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:01 pm

pez wrote:
meta4 wrote:

Well said... I was going to say it was a nice metaphor, but It's actually a simile :-)

Dude, she can be "like... Britney"
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down