The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Remember Live Aid?

3 posters

Go down

Remember Live Aid? Empty Remember Live Aid?

Post  Pez Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:53 am

The first one in 1985... the one that Bob Geldolf organized... There was a huge drought in Ethiopia, the Soviets were providing weapons (to the tune of $4B US) to the ethiopian government...

Anyway, turns out that some are claiming now (25 years later) that almost $100 million of that went to weapons for rebels. Over a million ethiopians died from the famine. Mariah Carey quipped some years later, "I see those pictures of the Ethiopians and I would love to be that skinny, but without all the flies and death and stuff"

Anyway, here's the link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8535189.stm

Remember Ethiopia is in one of the poorest areas of Africa, hemmed in on the east by Somalia. Is it possible that the millions dying of famine, no matter how horrific, put ethiopia on a stronger footing? The government overthrow succeeded. Many of the rebels are now admitting to selling grain to relief workers by loading the top layer of trucks with bags of grain and filling the bottom of the truck with sand.

There are those the believe that these aid efforts actually exacerbate problems because when there is a surplus (in this case an artificial One) of food, people tend to reproduce. Thoughts?

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1979

Back to top Go down

Remember Live Aid? Empty Re: Remember Live Aid?

Post  floridafun Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:27 am

i remember that dumb mariah carey comment. i have not paid any attention to her since then. and yea its rotten how much money is funneled to where it does. thats why i was so glad they set up haiti relief so no more than 1% can go to their gov.
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:25 pm

I think I saw that Mariah Carey quote on a list of dumbest things ever said. No argument here.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down