The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No Salt For You!???

5 posters

Go down

No Salt For You!??? Empty No Salt For You!???

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:17 am

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/03/11/2010-03-11_assault_on_salt_an_insult_chefs.html

If State Assemblyman Felix Ortiz has his way, the only salt added to your meal will come from the chef's tears.

The Brooklyn Democrat has introduced a bill that would ban the use of salt in New York restaurants - and violators would be smacked with a $1,000 fine for every salty dish.

"No owner or operator of a restaurant in this state shall use salt in any form in the preparation of any food," the bill reads.

Some of Manhattan's top cooks blasted the idea, saying the legislation lacks a certain je ne sais quoi.

"New York City is considered the restaurant capital of the world. If they banned salt, nobody would come here anymore," said Tom Colicchio, star of "Top Chef" and owner of Craft.

"Anybody who wants to taste food with no salt, go to a hospital and taste that," he said.

Ortiz says his bill is designed to save lives, just like laws that ban the use of trans fats and require chain restaurants to post nutrition information.

"It's time for us to take a giant step," Ortiz said yesterday. "We need to talk about two ingredients of salt: health care costs and deaths."

He claims billions of dollars and thousands of lives would be saved if salt was taken off the menu altogether.

There's little argument that too much salt causes high blood pressure, which can lead to heart attacks - but even hardcore salt haters say banning it outright is a pinch too much.

"You can live with salt in your diet. The problem in our society is excess salt," said Sonia Angell, director of the cardiovascular disease and prevention program for the Health Department.

Angell is behind the city's new push to get food producers and restaurants to cut sodium content by 25% over the next five years. That includes prepared foods like canned soups and frozen dinners, as well as fast-food meals that can have twice the recommended amount of salt for an entire day.

"Fast food is loaded with sodium, but in a kitchen that's doing fine dining, the use of salt is moderate," said John DeLucie, chef at The Waverly Inn and the soon-to-be opened Lion.

"There's a ridiculous amount of salt in processed foods, but what I use is not a salt bomb like that. It's to taste."

"I have zero problems with blood pressure, zero problems with my health, and I have eaten salt all my life," said Eric Ripert, chef at world-famous Manhattan restaurant Le Bernardin.

"Cooked food tastes good with salt and it's bland without it," said Ripert. "I believe very much that processed food is not good for you. But salt - salt is different. There are zero dishes I prepare that have no salt at all.

"[Ortiz] does not have my vote," Ripert said.

what an idiot!!!! another case of the deceptocrats trying to control our lives!
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

No Salt For You!??? Empty Re: No Salt For You!???

Post  Markwes Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:44 am

Incredible. It sounds like the bill does not require restaurants to prohibit it completely, meaning they can still offer a salt shaker at the table. And diners will probably "self-salt" to a higher level than the chefs. Good plan there Einstein!

And who would enforce it? "Uh ma'am, we have reports of salt being used in your food. We are going to have to have a look around.".
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooby01_98 Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:58 pm

And they wonder why we hate politicians. The sad fact is NY started the trans fat ban which went across the country. Looks like salt is next. Isn't NY the one that started the nutritional guides in the menus also?
Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1642

http://www.nola.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:24 pm

and how are you going to make bread, or pizza dough???
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Aggie Transplant Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:28 pm

What an asinine waste of time and effort by an Assemblyman. That said, I am puzzled by why canned foods (soup, tomatoes) and frozen foods have such high concentrations of salt -- have you ever read the label? I never did until my uncle had to ban salt from his diet. We could only find canned tomatoes with low or no salt in certain stores.

Still -- to ban from a restaurant? Doesn't make sense. Of course, I don't understand why Chicago banned foie gras from its restaurants, either. Before I get blasted by the mob here, I do understand there is a difference between banning foie gras (animal cruelty) and salt (don't think obtaining salt hurts anyone.) Does Chicago ban veal as well?

yep, I'm introducing a tangent.

Aggie Transplant
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Female
Number of posts : 1124

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:34 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:and how are you going to make bread, or pizza dough???
We can't let such technicalities stand in the way of better health for the citizens of New York!
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Pez Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:39 pm

Aggie Transplant wrote:What an asinine waste of time and effort by an Assemblyman. That said, I am puzzled by why canned foods (soup, tomatoes) and frozen foods have such high concentrations of salt -- have you ever read the label? I never did until my uncle had to ban salt from his diet. We could only find canned tomatoes with low or no salt in certain stores.

Still -- to ban from a restaurant? Doesn't make sense. Of course, I don't understand why Chicago banned foie gras from its restaurants, either. Before I get blasted by the mob here, I do understand there is a difference between banning foie gras (animal cruelty) and salt (don't think obtaining salt hurts anyone.) Does Chicago ban veal as well?

yep, I'm introducing a tangent.

Whats cruel about foie gras again? Ducks?

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1979

Back to top Go down

Post  Aggie Transplant Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:38 am

the way the ducks/geese are fed.

Foie gras (pronounced /fwɑːˈɡrɑː/ in English; French for "fat liver") is a food product made of the liver of a duck or goose that has been specially fattened. This fattening is typically achieved through gavage (force-feeding) corn, according to French law,[1] though outside of France it is occasionally produced using natural feeding. Pâté de foie gras was formerly known as "Strasbourg pie" in English due to that city being a major producer of this food product.[2]

I love the stuff -- screw Chicago

Aggie Transplant
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Female
Number of posts : 1124

Back to top Go down

Post  Pez Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:01 am

Yea, I love the stuff too... cram those suckers full.

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1979

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down