The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Obama's political capital

+3
LTRT
Markwes
Pez
7 posters

Go down

Obama's political capital Empty Obama's political capital

Post  Pez Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:59 am

Does anyone seriously think that If Obama is able to pull off sweeping healtcare reform and sweeping financial reform within his first two years in office that the republicans will not get an even larger chunk of their collective asses handed to them in November?

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1979

Back to top Go down

Obama's political capital Empty Re: Obama's political capital

Post  Markwes Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:11 am

Pez wrote:Does anyone seriously think that If Obama is able to pull off sweeping healtcare reform and sweeping financial reform within his first two years in office that the republicans will not get an even larger chunk of their collective asses handed to them in November?
By "pulling off" I assume you mean "jamming it down our throats". Surprised

I think by November it will be too early to tell if the reforms are a success or failure. Fact is this Congress is not very popular, and I would like to see all of them go, regardless of party.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Pez Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:48 am

Yielding to your argument for a hypothetical second... I am of the view that the GOP is as responsible for such jamming as the Dems are. When the GOP decided to take their ball and go home, they made a huge tactical error in thinking that they could overcome the Dem's majority... instead of helping produce a better bill, then effectively got the Dems bill passed.

If they hadn't been such buffoons, the bill would have been more of a compromise.

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:00 am

Pez wrote:Yielding to your argument for a hypothetical second... I am of the view that the GOP is as responsible for such jamming as the Dems are. When the GOP decided to take their ball and go home, they made a huge tactical error in thinking that they could overcome the Dem's majority... instead of helping produce a better bill, then effectively got the Dems bill passed.

If they hadn't been such buffoons, the bill would have been more of a compromise.

Yielding to the fact that this appears to be the same/lame argument from the left and almost looks like a duplicate post when discussing the HC bill....I suppose you dismiss the fact that our legislators represent us, the American people, and an overwhemingly majority of the non-elected people, (ie: US citizens) didn't/don't want the garbage that's coming out of DC and that comes from both sides of the aisle.
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Post  jcopetti Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:14 am

LTRT wrote:
Pez wrote:Yielding to your argument for a hypothetical second... I am of the view that the GOP is as responsible for such jamming as the Dems are. When the GOP decided to take their ball and go home, they made a huge tactical error in thinking that they could overcome the Dem's majority... instead of helping produce a better bill, then effectively got the Dems bill passed.

Yielding to the fact that this appears to be the same/lame argument from the left and almost looks like a duplicate post when discussing the HC bill....I suppose you dismiss the fact that our legislators represent us, the American people, and an overwhemingly majority of the non-elected people, (ie: US citizens) didn't/don't want the garbage that's coming out of DC and that comes from both sides of the aisle.

Who says so?

I think people like LTRT are just afraid of what a 2nd Obama term will be like!!!! 4 more years! We needed HC reform desperately, and financial reform/regulation will be a benefit down the road. He is making long term decisions and fighting the long battle instead of worrying about today.

Heard where GM paid back the govt, most of the financial bailout has been paid back so what do all the chicken littles have to say now about the govt take over of our society?

jcopetti
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Male
Number of posts : 36

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooby01_98 Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:53 pm

jcopetti wrote:

Heard where GM paid back the govt, most of the financial bailout has been paid back so what do all the chicken littles have to say now about the govt take over of our society?

If you consider $6.5 mil of a $48.5 million dollar loan paid back. Then you, like GM needs go back to school and relearn math because that is a long way from paid back. I can't believe the ads they are running saying they have paid back the loan in full, with interest and ahead of schedule.
Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1642

http://www.nola.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Pez Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:13 pm

LTRT wrote:

We have a republic for a reason... majority rule is tyranny. It's a duplicate post because it's worth repeating... the GOP gave Obama a second term. Gift wrapped it.

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:30 am

According to Ramussen, 54% disapprove of the president's performance. A 2nd term is hardly "gift-wrapped". You seem to imply that party leaders solely determine whether or not the opposnig party's incumbent leader gets re-elected.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Pez Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:13 am

Markwes wrote:According to Ramussen, 54% disapprove of the president's performance. A 2nd term is hardly "gift-wrapped". You seem to imply that party leaders solely determine whether or not the opposnig party's incumbent leader gets re-elected.

+/- 3%... so 51 or 57%... in an economy that has just begun to recover. Perhaps the GOP senators can block debate on Financial Reform as well.

In more serious and less-frothing language... I doubt very seriously that the GOP can come up with a candidate that can beat Obama. Is that a perfect universe? No... but Newt wont beat Obama, Palin would be a dream for the Dems... Romney is too aligned with the tea party, McCain is done...

If you add financial reform to Obama's list of accomplishments (the president gets the credit and the blame), I highly doubt anyone can beat him in 2012... never mind the fact that he will likely have our troops out of Iraq or Afghanistan by the time 2012 rolls around... The economy seems to be on a guarded recovery path... It's not bad for two years' work.

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:50 am

whats the approval rating for repubs?
whats the approval rating for the 20% of population teabaggers?
whats the approval rating for libertarians?

do the repubs or any alternate party have a candidate in mind at all yet for 2012..any for the 2010 local elections..except rubio?
how 'bout them there straw polls they do at all the repub gatherings..how are those looking?
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:22 pm

floridafun wrote:whats the approval rating for repubs?

do the repubs or any alternate party have a candidate in mind at all yet for 2012..any for the 2010 local elections..except rubio?
how 'bout them there straw polls they do at all the repub gatherings..how are those looking?
I don't know. I just know he is not a popular president right now. And that it's way too soon to be saying he has a 2nd term in the bag after one year at the helm.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:33 pm

Markwes wrote:

I don't know. I just know he is not a popular president right now. And that it's way too soon to be saying he has a 2nd term in the bag after one year at the helm.
If I remember correctly, Bush Sr.'s approval ratings were really, really high after his 1st year in office, and we all know how that turned out. So I take approval ratings with a grain of salt at this point. I do know one thing...I don't like all of the spending this administration has done.
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:44 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:
Markwes wrote:

If I remember correctly, Bush Sr.'s approval ratings were really, really high after his 1st year in office, and we all know how that turned out. So I take approval ratings with a grain of salt at this point. I do know one thing...I don't like all of the spending this administration has done.
Do you mean Jr.? At any rate, that was my point that after one year, it's too early to speculate if he will win a 2nd term. But I do say it's easier to ruin a good approval rating than it is to reverse a poor one.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:07 pm

Markwes wrote:
Cincy Fan 44 wrote:
Markwes wrote:

Do you mean Jr.? At any rate, that was my point that after one year, it's too early to speculate if he will win a 2nd term. But I do say it's easier to ruin a good approval rating than it is to reverse a poor one.
No I meant Sr. I'm thinking back to the 1st Gulf War, his takedown of Noriega, etc...and how his approval ratings seemed sky high...and then the economy receded and some guy who could play the saxophone on the Tonight Show came out of nowhere and won in '92.
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down