The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

China seizes children?

3 posters

Go down

China seizes children? Empty China seizes children?

Post  Pez Tue May 10, 2011 10:31 am

China released an investigative report that indicated that the government has seized (illegally), some families' 'second children' and sold them as orphans for adoption abroad.

http://behindthewall.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/05/10/6596114-time-to-re-evaluate-chinas-one-child-policy

It's amazing to me that we ignore China's horrific stance on human rights in order to keep trading with them. Iraq 'might have' had WMD, china steals children and sells them on the black market...

I think our foreign policy could be more effective In this regard. I think we're slowly learning the lesson that turning a blind eye to dictators and or dictatorial governments may provide us short term stability, but will hurt us in the long run.

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1979

Back to top Go down

China seizes children? Empty Re: China seizes children?

Post  Markwes Tue May 10, 2011 7:37 pm

Pez wrote:China released an investigative report that indicated that the government has seized (illegally), some families' 'second children' and sold them as orphans for adoption abroad.

http://behindthewall.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/05/10/6596114-time-to-re-evaluate-chinas-one-child-policy

It's amazing to me that we ignore China's horrific stance on human rights in order to keep trading with them. Iraq 'might have' had WMD, china steals children and sells them on the black market...

I think our foreign policy could be more effective In this regard. I think we're slowly learning the lesson that turning a blind eye to dictators and or dictatorial governments may provide us short term stability, but will hurt us in the long run.
I'm not doubting you, but I'm assuming you posted the link just as something you are in agreement with, since I couldn't find anything in it to support the claim in your first sentence. Still, it wouldn't surprise me. The Chinese people themselves have (allegedly) done away with girl babies because males are so revered. And while we are making it more expensive to manufacture goods because of tighter environmental controls, China pours whatever chemicals it wants into the air to make a cheaper product.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Pez Wed May 11, 2011 9:26 am

Markwes wrote:
Pez wrote:China released an investigative report that indicated that the government has seized (illegally), some families' 'second children' and sold them as orphans for adoption abroad.

I'm not doubting you, but I'm assuming you posted the link just as something you are in agreement with, since I couldn't find anything in it to support the claim in your first sentence. Still, it wouldn't surprise me. The Chinese people themselves have (allegedly) done away with girl babies because males are so revered. And while we are making it more expensive to manufacture goods because of tighter environmental controls, China pours whatever chemicals it wants into the air to make a cheaper product.

Wrong link... http://behindthewall.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/05/10/6617979-chinese-babies-sold-for-adoption-in-the-us

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooby01_98 Thu May 12, 2011 1:35 pm

I guess the question is do we isolate China for it abuses? I say no because you only have to look at Cuba and N Korea to see how well that is working. Better to have some type of communication with a country. Do you think Tiniman Square (sp) would have happened if we had isolated China?

China is a very different country. Unlike us who only plan a couple of years out, they plan centuries out.
Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1642

http://www.nola.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Pez Thu May 12, 2011 2:14 pm

Scooby01_98 wrote:I guess the question is do we isolate China for it abuses? I say no because you only have to look at Cuba and N Korea to see how well that is working. Better to have some type of communication with a country. Do you think Tiniman Square (sp) would have happened if we had isolated China?

China is a very different country. Unlike us who only plan a couple of years out, they plan centuries out.

Understand your point. I wasnt necessarily talking about a cuban or DPRK-style isolation. Something more along the lines of not granting them "most favored" nation trading status, making it harder to sell their good to the US. They are agressive in this regard with the monetary policies (pegging their currency to the dollar, a practice that they have only barely begun to ease).

China is engineered (arguably at the point of a gun) to out trade us. I'm not sure it is in our interest to trade with such a nation to the extent that we do.

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down