The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prime Rib.....

+2
IrishGuy
Cincy Fan 44
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Prime Rib..... Empty Prime Rib.....

Post  Guest Tue May 27, 2008 9:57 am

So we hit up the Cork Sunday night for our anniversary... salad bar was good as always, Brushetta was mighty tasty and I ventured out to try the Prime Rib. Never had it before, figured I'd try something new.. what a mistake.

From what I've heard, they have good PR, but for me, it's not worth the time. About half of it was fat, ok.. maybe more than half. I asked the waitress before I ordered what it was like, she left this part out, perhaps because it's common knowledge? I really had no clue. So my main entree really sucked, and my wife's filet was undercooked for her liking, but of course, she wouldn't say anything.

We got a free dessert because we were celebrating, so that was nice. For the $75 that our dinner was (included 2 beers and 1 fu-fu drink) I'd just assume spend the extra $25 and go to Eddie Merlots. Of course... we had a gift certficate, so it only cost us the tip, which was ample, so I really can't complain.. but i will.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Prime Rib..... Empty Re: Prime Rib.....

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Tue May 27, 2008 10:04 am

That sucks! Did you do any of the suggestions you asked for in the other thread for your anniversary?
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 27, 2008 10:57 am

I've never been impressed with Cork 'N Cleaver.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 27, 2008 11:07 am

I agree, never been a big fan of the Cork. I like their salad bar for lunch but the atmosphere sucks and the food is average. I know I am going to get a lot of resistance here but my favorite place in town dollar for dollar and for atmosphere is Chops. I also think the best prime rib in town might be at Henry's.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 27, 2008 11:11 am

You seriously have never had prime rib before? I have never been to cork and cleaver, so I guess that evens it out.

There is a lot of fat, but half/more than half is too much. Fat is good for flavor and tenderness etc. I second bman when he says Henry's has the best prime rib in town. Friday nights, get there early.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  IrishGuy Tue May 27, 2008 11:25 am

pez wrote:You seriously have never had prime rib before? I have never been to cork and cleaver, so I guess that evens it out.

There is a lot of fat, but half/more than half is too much. Fat is good for flavor and tenderness etc. I second bman when he says Henry's has the best prime rib in town. Friday nights, get there early.

Agree, prime rib is a fairly fatty hunk of meat. That being said, it is also, in my opinion, the most tasty hunk of meat...even better than the ribeye. I can't think of very much better than prime rib with a small dab of horseradish sauce.
IrishGuy
IrishGuy
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1511

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 27, 2008 11:47 am

I have lost my taste for Prime Rib.Not sure why really, I think its texture. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE steak and we grill out about 2-3 times a week.

But Prime Rib it just too uhhh....*meaty*. Hard to describe, really. Maybe 'fleshy' is better.

But I like my meat to be seared with a good rub or marinade. A nice char outside and a pink inside.

Damn good eating.

To me some P.R. is like a rare slab cut right off the beast.

Pass.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 27, 2008 2:20 pm

No other suggestions.. I mentioned them and she didn't really want to do them. We were both sort of beat Sunday night though, so after dinner we cruised around for a bit and did some shopping for things we didn't need but wanted then went and got the kid and played with her.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 27, 2008 2:36 pm

I've been to the Cork exactly once, and had a similar experience Card. I believe I ordered the salmon or tuna? and the wife probably had something veggie... can't recall exactly. 2 Beers, and 1 Martini. $80 bill, tipped less than 15% but more than 10% because our waitress sucked. We also got a free desert because we had to wait too long for "bread". Free "death by chocolate" or whatever it was wouldn't bring me back.

I love prime rib, the best I have had has been at the Oyster Bar out north on Dupont. After that, Bman and Pez are spot on... get there early! Horseradish is a requirement, the more horsey the better Smile
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 27, 2008 2:53 pm

Never had prime rib at the OB ... usually get a fish dish or better yet the Pecan Chicken, omg that is one of my favorite dishes in town!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 27, 2008 3:15 pm

I'm not a fat fan.. give me a nice filet and I'm a happy man. We had last been to the Cork about 3 years ago, it was nice, I liked my steak. Our waitress was pretty decent, nothing spectacular, but outside of EM's they are really all the same in my opinion.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Tue May 27, 2008 4:05 pm

Prime Rib is probably the most variable entree there is for me. By that I mean it has a wide range of likeability depending on how it's made. I have had it at a couple places where it was so good you could kick me in the side and I still wouldn't have moved from my chair. Yet I recall other times where it was swimming in a plate of blood and that just wasn't appealing to me.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Aggie Transplant Tue May 27, 2008 4:19 pm

I love prime rib. The last time I had it, though, I ate three bites and was done. I ordered it at Chops, and not only was it too fatty, it was the blandest piece of meat I have ever had.

Aggie Transplant
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Female
Number of posts : 1124

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 27, 2008 4:30 pm

Hey Card, I like the meat, not the fat. Smile
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 27, 2008 4:31 pm

Aggie Transplant wrote:I love prime rib. The last time I had it, though, I ate three bites and was done. I ordered it at Chops, and not only was it too fatty, it was the blandest piece of meat I have ever had.

Hey now that is fighting words ... Chops is my haunt.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 27, 2008 4:50 pm

I can't believe you like Chops... the scenery is about as crappy as you can get (the Taco Bell parking lot) the food is overpriced and the seating is compacted..
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 27, 2008 4:55 pm

cardinal5150 wrote:I can't believe you like Chops... the scenery is about as crappy as you can get (the Taco Bell parking lot) the food is overpriced and the seating is compacted..

Oh the view from Cork and Cleaver is so tantalizing ... the empty Taco Cabana parking lot? The view from Eddie Merlots is what? Parkwest Shopping Center or Biaggi's? Shopoffs? a gas station? Club Soda the homeless people walking to the rescue mission?

I think the food is relatively cheap at Chops. The hanger steak is EXCELLENT and is $19.95, martini's are $6-8 ...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Aggie Transplant Tue May 27, 2008 4:59 pm

Bman wrote:
Aggie Transplant wrote:I love prime rib. The last time I had it, though, I ate three bites and was done. I ordered it at Chops, and not only was it too fatty, it was the blandest piece of meat I have ever had.

We can fight after YOU'VE ordered the prime rib, assuming you still disagree with me.

That being said, I do not understand why everyone loves the place. It's okay -- I managed to finally find a few things I like on the menu to placate my hub, who enjoys going there.

Chops annoyed me early on, when I ordered crab as a splurge and it was served with fake butter. Ugh. The server said it was real, but it didn't taste real. Plus, wouldn't you need the nifty little candle to keep it liquidified? What they served me stayed liquid for the entire time it was in front of me.

Okay, Bman, you added a message while I was typing this, so I'll address your point -- my hub also loves the hanger steak; that's why we go. We both enjoy the beef roll appetizers.

Aggie Transplant
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 27, 2008 5:06 pm

Aggie Transplant wrote:
Bman wrote:

We can fight after YOU'VE ordered the prime rib, assuming you still disagree with me.

That being said, I do not understand why everyone loves the place. It's okay -- I managed to finally find a few things I like on the menu to placate my hub, who enjoys going there.

Chops annoyed me early on, when I ordered crab as a splurge and it was served with fake butter. Ugh. The server said it was real, but it didn't taste real. Plus, wouldn't you need the nifty little candle to keep it liquidified? What they served me stayed liquid for the entire time it was in front of me.

Okay, Bman, you added a message while I was typing this, so I'll address your point -- my hub also loves the hanger steak; that's why we go. We both enjoy the beef roll appetizers.

shit yea, the spicy beef egg rolls are the best item in town bar none ... I get them for a meal occassionally.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 27, 2008 7:32 pm

Aggie Transplant wrote:
Bman wrote:

I've never been to Chops but I'd try it if Bman were buying Razz

Aggie, are you sure it wasn't simply clarified butter? This is often served with Lobster.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Aggie Transplant Tue May 27, 2008 7:44 pm

It could have been -- does clarified butter stay liquid longer? In any case, it didn't taste the same.

I looked up clarified butter on Wikipedia and a few other sites; here is what one cooking site said:

The advantages of this type of butter is its long keeping quality (several months refrigerated) and its high smoke point (can be used in frying without burning). The disadvantage is that it doesn't have that same wonderful rich flavor of regular unsalted butter (since the milk solids have been removed) but it does have a more buttery taste than other oils

Aggie Transplant
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 27, 2008 7:50 pm

Aggie Transplant wrote:It could have been -- does clarified butter stay liquid longer? In any case, it didn't taste the same.

I looked up clarified butter on Wikipedia and a few other sites; here is what one cooking site said:

The advantages of this type of butter is its long keeping quality (several months refrigerated) and its high smoke point (can be used in frying without burning). The disadvantage is that it doesn't have that same wonderful rich flavor of regular unsalted butter (since the milk solids have been removed) but it does have a more buttery taste than other oils

Smile

Yeah, it does. What's that Indian variety of clarified butter? Ghee? If you walk into an Indian grocery, it's a clear yellowish liquid. I asked about it once from an Indian guy who was at a grocery in Ann Arbor... he just said it was "like... oil" and I said... "cheet, oil is cheaper than that!"... If I had known it was clarified butter I probably would have read the label for what animal the butter came from Smile
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 28, 2008 5:16 pm

Bman wrote:
cardinal5150 wrote:I can't believe you like Chops... the scenery is about as crappy as you can get (the Taco Bell parking lot) the food is overpriced and the seating is compacted..

Oh the view from Cork and Cleaver is so tantalizing ... the empty Taco Cabana parking lot? The view from Eddie Merlots is what? Parkwest Shopping Center or Biaggi's? Shopoffs? a gas station? Club Soda the homeless people walking to the rescue mission?

I think the food is relatively cheap at Chops. The hanger steak is EXCELLENT and is $19.95, martini's are $6-8 ...

The Cork at least put up a barrier between the Cabana and themselves.. you can't see it unless you are actually outside. Eddies at least has inside scenery to take your eyes off.. something Chop's sorely lacks. And I wouldn't consider Biaggi's in the same class as Cork or Eddie's (but probably equal with Chop's). And again.. they have inside character, something Chop's simply doesn't.

Shopoff's is a dive.. I've never argued that.. but I still enjoy their food. And I'd rather go there than Chops because you can get any cut meat you want.

Bman.. you drink Martini's? 'Nuff said.. nevermind.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Aggie Transplant Wed May 28, 2008 5:35 pm

I, too, like martinis. My favorite is a dirty vodka martini. Yum.

What's wrong w/Bman liking martinis? I thought they used to be considered a manly drink, you know, Frankie, Dean-o, Sammy, etc....... Or are they now associated with the Sex & the City crowd?

Aggie Transplant
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 28, 2008 5:48 pm

cardinal5150 wrote:
Bman.. you drink Martini's? 'Nuff said.. nevermind.

What The Duck is wrong with you man? Are you scared of a little vodka?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum