The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GM closing 4 plants

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

GM closing 4 plants - Page 2 Empty Re: GM closing 4 plants

Post  Guest Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:16 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if the Big 3 purposely built less than stellar cars with the intent of keeping their parts and maintenance divisions running.. but I also think it was because they only wanted to spend the bare minimum to get a car off the line and into the show room, so it was a by product.

Anymore though, I think all auto makers are wanting to build the best product they can to try and overcome the perceived (or real) thought that Toyota and Honda are the only reliable vehicles.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:17 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:I don't know if this is true or not, but I really used to think (and to an extent still do) that GM would make their cars to purposefully break down after so long just so that their parts division would stay in business. True, or should I continue smokin' the grass from the Grassy Knoll?

Well, that's HALF true. ... as a former Automotive Aftermarket IT guru ... (which should get you a great discount on a cup of coffee Smile)

It's not that companies design the parts to fail after a calculated number of miles, but the materials in the metallurgy and other engineering mediums such as brake pads, and filters, etc. There is a wide body of knowledge and a wide gamut of materials that can be used to build these parts... there's the rub. If you make it out of the best stuff known to mankind it'll last longer, and cost 5x as much to make. So in essence it's the entire industry that makes "profitable" decisions like this to not build the perfect car at a cost of $108.950.00.

Razz The damage from the grassy knoll grass is already done... you're tainted forever! muahahahaha
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Mort Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:24 am

In my fathers dealership in Ohio in 1976 a visiting engineer from Gm was in one day about some problem we were having with a customer's truck.

I asked him a few questions one that I remember was "Why did Gm stop making the 283 and the 327 v8's also the 190 and the 265 v6?"

They were awesome engine's still running today in 2008 he said..."well its no secret that they never stop running but we have warehouses full of parts for them and with new technology we are trying other things" Ahem warehouses full of parts? study

I also found old brand new parts for model t's in the attic the attic was full of memorabilia old brochures from the 30's thur 60's. I asked the ol man if he would mind me selling off that crap he said yes get rid of it. He had no idea how much was up there . I sold off most of it got over 30 grand I gave him 10 grand he was very happy so was I lol. It was moving money for me Next stop Colorado.......that's another story...

I still have brochures from the 70's for the Corvette's and some badges for them also. affraid study
Mort
Mort
Admin
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 1400

https://therealboard.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:37 pm

Mort.. that's cool.. that corvette stuff could be worth a pretty penny as well depending on what it is. My dad was always big into Vette's, we always had one around.. but they didn't always run. I remember him getting a 65 to restore when I was 14, I was pumped, then he sold it before we ever got any work done, total bummer.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Mort Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:31 am

the 65 was nice I still like the split window 454 it was way ahead of its time

I saw one in Hawaii with 15,000 org miles on it some older air force guy had it we talked for 45 mins it was so damn cherry

I want it bad probably more then sex well......... What a Face its close affraid

the badges and stuff I have are from the year 1976 77 it was the Indy car then too

I remember when I was like 6 or 7 and we used to go to my uncles Chevy Store for the grand opening of the 1966 Chevy's

They were delivered covered so no one could see them and my uncle would put them in a barn he had two vettes at the grand openings every year ,,,so they were kept covered until the night before and then driven under the cover of darkness to the dealership where the windows were covered with paper announcing the opening day. Opening day was cool hot dogs, pop, and apple pie and Chevy. It was a big deal every year till I'd say around the early 70's

Fun times long ago.....just an old man ranting sorry sunny
Mort
Mort
Admin
Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:52 am

Mort.. you sound like my boss talking about the days when it was Hefner Chevrolet downtown and all the ads and gimmick's they use to run and it all came back to hot dogs, apple pie, Chevrolet.... or whatever the slogan was.

I really liked the split window myself as well, it was different. The guy who bought it off my dad found him a couple years ago and sent him a pic of it totally restored, looked great. We restored the frame, but that was it.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Mort Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:46 pm

Nice show pic

I have lots of pics of cars over the years lol!

Yeah Heffner Chevy I remember and W&D's and Murphys hehe I used to work @ Patterson and Flecther the mens store after school and on weekends when downtown was fun and we had no ball park there either lol!
Mort
Mort
Admin
Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:59 am

Heard yesterday the our GM plant is going to be closing a couple of extra weeks to try to allow the supply of trucks on dealer lots to dwindle some .... plus the eliminated all overtime for the rest of the year.

Too bad our plant does not make the Cobalt, Aveo, or the malibu.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:08 am

Bman wrote:Heard yesterday the our GM plant is going to be closing a couple of extra weeks to try to allow the supply of trucks on dealer lots to dwindle some .... plus the eliminated all overtime for the rest of the year.

Too bad our plant does not make the Cobalt, Aveo, or the malibu.
At least our plant is remaining open. GM is cutting back production too at the doomed Moraine plant near Dayton.

And I agree, too bad FW's plant doesn't make the fuel-efficient vehicles that are selling like hot-cakes.
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:33 am

GM to cut production, raise prices
Updated: June 23, 2008 05:00 PM EDT

DETROIT (AP) -- General Motors Corp. says it will further cut production of trucks and sport utility vehicles from the summer through the end of the year.

Spokesman Chris Lee says GM will cut shifts, reduce assembly line speeds and temporarily idle seven factories because of declining consumer demand for the truck-based vehicles.

The biggest cut will take place at the company's Janesville, Wis., factory that makes large SUVs. It will be idled the weeks of July 14 and 21, plus it will be shut down another 10 weeks through the end of the year.

Lee said Monday the other affected plants are in Oshawa, Ontario; Silao, Mexico; Arlington, Texas; Moraine, Ohio; Fort Wayne, Ind.; and Shreveport, La.

The Fort Wayne plant will close for two weeks around the 4th of July instead of just one week as had been planned.

General Motors also told dealers it plans to raise prices on 2009 models by an average of 3.5 percent despite a tough market that's forcing production cuts and discounts.

Company officials say the increases cover only part of the rising cost of materials, as well as new safety and other features.

The increases are about $1,000 per vehicle.

GM twice increased the prices of its 2008 models because of rising commodity costs.

The company also says it will run a sale Tuesday through June 30 to help clear out high inventories.

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Raise prices Laughing Laughing Guess I'll run out and buy one now then. Rolling Eyes
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:41 am

Read that too LTRT .. kind of baffling huh?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:43 am

Are they living in the Bizzaro World??? I suppose they say start the morning off by telling each other "Good Night."
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:48 am

Bman wrote:Read that too LTRT .. kind of baffling huh?

Saw a local news story about the Kelly Tent sale this past weekend. Jim's boy got some face time and admitted that sales were slow but was quick to come back with touting 0% 60mths, geez, they had the 0-60 thing for years now.
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:14 pm

GM is offering 0% for 72 months or $7K off a Tahoe/Suburban or $6K off the Avalanche to try and move them.. I'd expect those offers to be combined somewhat soon.. maybe less discount, but still 0%.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:45 pm

Once again, One of US Auto's Big 3 showing themselves to be behind the market, trying to catch up... Mad
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Canuck Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:45 pm

cardinal5150 wrote:GM is offering 0% for 72 months or $7K off a Tahoe/Suburban or $6K off the Avalanche to try and move them.. I'd expect those offers to be combined somewhat soon.. maybe less discount, but still 0%.

They should offer a gas card.

Honda here is giving a $1000.00 gas card when you purchase or lease certain vehicles. And for the Civic you get back $1000.00 because of its emission levels.

GM can learn a few things from these organizations. First quality improvement.

They are still closing the plant here in Ontario, however they will manufacture another vehicle. I forgot the name.
Canuck
Canuck
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1717

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:40 pm

I sometimes get the feeling that GM is trying to bankrupt itself in order to get rid of the unions, which were good way back when, but it seems they've come to be abusive of their powers.

Shutting down plants, behind the times on fuel-efficient vehicles, raising prices on SUVs that aren't moving anytime soon...yeah, that's a great little company they've got there.
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Mort Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:08 am

That might be kinda hard since the Aveo is made in Korea

The Buick's suv's all made in Mexico

The HHR = Mexico

The Avalanche= Mexico

and there is others
Mort
Mort
Admin
Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Canuck Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:38 pm

Canuck
Canuck
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:53 pm

Canuck wrote:Any of you guys heard of this shift for GM?

http://en.autos.sympatico.msn.ca/news/article.aspx?cp-documentid=8515631

...Puff the magic 3-cylinder lived by the sea and frolicked in ...

We'll see if this happens. I have doubts they'll last until 2010 with enough capital to produce this "dream".
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Canuck Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:56 pm

Yeah, I think it is them trying to save face.
Canuck
Canuck
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooby01_98 Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:08 pm

Looks like the competition is moving factory production around also.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25621408/

Doesn't give a time line for the Princeton plant, but bet it will be faster than the old big 3 could do.
Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1642

http://www.nola.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mort Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:09 pm

little too late Gm's story Cool
Mort
Mort
Admin
Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Canuck Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:55 pm

Scooby01_98 wrote:Looks like the competition is moving factory production around also.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25621408/

Doesn't give a time line for the Princeton plant, but bet it will be faster than the old big 3 could do.

And the employees are not being laid off according to the article.
Canuck
Canuck
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2