The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

French Open Men's Final

2 posters

Go down

French Open Men's Final Empty French Open Men's Final

Post  Guest Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:24 am

Anyone see Nadal demolish Federer in the men's final Sunday? I was looking forward to a 4 hour slugfest, but Nadal dispatched him like a first rounder... 6-1, 6-3, 6-0. I was trying to find a stat to determine when the last time was that Federer lost a set 6-0. I was pulling for Roger, it's interesting that Nadal would be THE dominant force in Tennis if not for the freak of Nature that is RF... RF would be the dominant force on Clay if not for the Clay court suerhero that is Nadal.

Would like to see Nadal win at Wimbledon, or anywhere but Rolland Garros. Seriously, the guy has never lost there. 28 matches, won all of them. You would think that over the course of 4 years, he would drop a match, you know, show up all hung over or something... but nope... 28 matches, 28 wins.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

French Open Men's Final Empty Re: French Open Men's Final

Post  Markwes Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:58 am

While I admit I'm not all that knowledgable on the finer points of tennis, I'm surprised that the type of court is that much of a factor. I understand the ball reacts differently, but for a player like Nadal to be that dominating on clay and be really good, but still a much different player, on grass doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Same with doubles players though I can understand that a little more. But throughout history there have been doubles pairs that have dominated the sport but don't even crack the top 100 individually. I guess that's why I'm a novice.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:26 pm

I have the solution for making tennis more watchable and more appealing to the general public... make the women strip after each set/match/whatever lost..
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:47 pm

Markwes wrote:While I admit I'm not all that knowledgable on the finer points of tennis, I'm surprised that the type of court is that much of a factor. I understand the ball reacts differently, but for a player like Nadal to be that dominating on clay and be really good, but still a much different player, on grass doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Same with doubles players though I can understand that a little more. But throughout history there have been doubles pairs that have dominated the sport but don't even crack the top 100 individually. I guess that's why I'm a novice.

Clay is a much slower surface... it's literally packed dirt... they use a zamboni type devise between sets to re-smooth the surface. It provides more resistance to the ball because the dirt granules have more surface area in contact with the ball than a smooth concrete surface would. That said, the balls kick up higher than on concrete or grass. Secondly, the players slide... so the positional, finesse players like Federer have their advantages limited. The french open is the only major left on clay.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:06 pm

cardinal5150 wrote:I have the solution for making tennis more watchable and more appealing to the general public... make the women strip after each set/match/whatever lost..
Strip Tennis? I like it, as long as they can keep the ugly women out... Smile
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:33 pm

cardinal5150 wrote:I have the solution for making tennis more watchable and more appealing to the general public... make the women strip after each set/match/whatever lost..

Two words why this is a bad idea... Svetlana Kuznetsova.

I hate to sound elitist or anything, but Tennis doesnt care so much about the General Public.

The problem with Tennis and it's mass appeal is that most people dont get it. They play 4 superbowls a year, and the fan emphasis is typically on seeing a great match vs seeing their guy win. The best thing is a great, epic match and having their guy win, but most are content with seeing excellent tennis matched against excellent tennis.

This type of approach is somewhat unique is sport, as it tends to always favor the idea that the underdog can summon strength beyond their means. Sure, it's a nuanced sport, if you arent interested, dont watch.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:44 pm

pez wrote: if you arent interested, dont watch.

Cuz it's for sissies, and wimps. Razz
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:57 pm

[quote="pez"]
cardinal5150 wrote: They play 4 superbowls a year, and the fan emphasis is typically on seeing a great match vs seeing their guy win.

Golf has 4.. well.. really 3 Super Bowls/year as well.. but they also have that one guy that everyone hates or loves. Tennis doesn't have that, and that's why they are suffering. There isn't a dominate American like Agassi or Sampras. Until someone like that comes Tennis will always be a "nuisance" sport (yes.. I spelled that wrong on purpose) to a majority of the public.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:09 pm

[quote="cardinal5150"]
pez wrote:
cardinal5150 wrote: They play 4 superbowls a year, and the fan emphasis is typically on seeing a great match vs seeing their guy win.

Golf has 4.. well.. really 3 Super Bowls/year as well.. but they also have that one guy that everyone hates or loves. Tennis doesn't have that, and that's why they are suffering. There isn't a dominate American like Agassi or Sampras. Until someone like that comes Tennis will always be a "nuisance" sport (yes.. I spelled that wrong on purpose) to a majority of the public.

Watch Wimbledon and the US Open this year (really watch it) and you will see what I mean. I would hardly call it suffering just because it annoys Americans by preempting NASCAR. (which it never does, btw). In fact, when NBC picked up the coverage for the women's semi's, it preempted their coverage because Regis and Kelly were intriducing the new Ashanti cd.

Sampras' game would not hold a candle to Roger, and Agassi's game was weaker than Pete's... Tennis doesnt need a dominant American, people watch tennis for the tennis, rather than the people playing it.

(ummm... you spelled nuisance correctly)
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:13 pm

I wonder if the scoring system for Tennis throws people off too? I understand it, but it takes a while to catch on. To a newcomer, a 15 to "love" score would look to be out of reach...
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:23 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:I wonder if the scoring system for Tennis throws people off too? I understand it, but it takes a while to catch on. To a newcomer, a 15 to "love" score would look to be out of reach...

LOL... not trying to start a Tennis Love-0in here, but the scoring system in Tennis is a good part of what makes the game great. You are always 4 points away from getting out of jeopardy... I don't particularly understand why they do 15-30-40-game, but that is really secondary... game, set match, service breaks all interrelate beautifully... The french is even more spectacular as it they dont allow tie breakers in the 5th set... so they just keep playing game after game until someone wins by two games.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:33 pm

pez wrote:
Cincy Fan 44 wrote:I wonder if the scoring system for Tennis throws people off too? I understand it, but it takes a while to catch on. To a newcomer, a 15 to "love" score would look to be out of reach...

LOL... not trying to start a Tennis Love-0in here

I don't get it... must be one of those sissie "inside" tennis jokes. Smile

Just trying to antagonize... I've tried to watch a game of Tennis with Pez but I don't get the scoring either. Maybe it's because I'm a lazy American and not a lazy Frenchman. I like the lazy American way of counting... 1,2,3,4 etc. Maybe it's a game that I have to buy a fancy Nintendo Wii to appreciate... Smile
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:39 pm

meta4 wrote:
pez wrote:

Just trying to antagonize... I've tried to watch a game of Tennis with Pez but I don't get the scoring either. Maybe it's because I'm a lazy American and not a lazy Frenchman. I like the lazy American way of counting... 1,2,3,4 etc. Maybe it's a game that I have to buy a fancy Nintendo Wii to appreciate... Smile

For the love of GOD!!

Tennis came about in the late 1800's. As you all know, it was customary at the time for british ships to formally salute by firing first the 15 lb cannons, followed by the 30 Lb Cannons, and finally the 40 lb cannon.

btw, someone stole the copper out of your old house...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:48 pm

pez wrote:
meta4 wrote:
pez wrote:

For the love of GOD!!

Tennis came about in the late 1800's. As you all know, it was customary at the time for british ships to formally salute by firing first the 15 lb cannons, followed by the 30 Lb Cannons, and finally the 40 lb cannon.

btw, someone stole the copper out of your old house...

Hell yeah! now that makes perfect sense, because when I was in Pre-school at Genocidal Dictators Academy I learned to count the very same way! Those slaves came in real handy with the 40# balls.

(if the gods permit a small tangent...)
There wasn't much copper there to begin with... and if they took the copper wiring, that's one less thing for the new owner to fix up. I wonder if the washer and dryer are still down in the basement? Do you know how much is it listed for?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:53 pm

With all the references to the Superbowl it makes me wonder if tennis would be more interesting (to me) if 350-pound linemen were on the court smashing into the players.

Cal it "lacrosse" or some shit like that.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:43 pm

meta4 wrote:
There wasn't much copper there to begin with... and if they took the copper wiring, that's one less thing for the new owner to fix up. I wonder if the washer and dryer are still down in the basement? Do you know how much is it listed for?

Nah... no idea... someone put an offer in on it, there was an inspector there yesterday. I'm cure he found the copper missing... there was a key laying in the neighbors driveway the other day (you know the kind, big round, rock like) I'm sure they used that to unlock the basement window.

Tennis has 350 lb lineman, Serena Williams.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:49 pm

pez wrote:
meta4 wrote:

Nah... no idea... someone put an offer in on it, there was an inspector there yesterday. I'm cure he found the copper missing... there was a key laying in the neighbors driveway the other day (you know the kind, big round, rock like) I'm sure they used that to unlock the basement window.

Tennis has 350 lb lineman, Serena Williams.

I just saw that window last week. Well, It was a nice window...

I totally thought you were joking. Not sure what they could have gotten in the way of copper, maybe a few pounds from the basement pipes, there were about 45'-65' between inlet, W.heater and kitchen sink. Wonder how much that's worth...

... I may just have to come by and check it out tonight.

Added: it's 1/2" copper, just in case anyone has interest in doing the math.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down