The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guitar Hero

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Guitar Hero Empty Guitar Hero

Post  Guest Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:17 am

Anyone played this?

I got it for Father's Day and am addicted to it now.. it actually makes me want to get Rockband just because I want to see how well the drums actually compare to playing drums. My guess is about as much as the guitar does on Guitar hero. Sure, you have something shaped like a guitar, but that's about it. Still.. it's fun.. it let's your inner rock band bust out of suburbia.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Guitar Hero Empty Re: Guitar Hero

Post  Guest Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:19 am

cardinal5150 wrote:Anyone played this?

I got it for Father's Day and am addicted to it now.. it actually makes me want to get Rockband just because I want to see how well the drums actually compare to playing drums. My guess is about as much as the guitar does on Guitar hero. Sure, you have something shaped like a guitar, but that's about it. Still.. it's fun.. it let's your inner rock band bust out of suburbia.

I have a good friend that has it ... a twentysomething who fights with little kids at best buy to use the demo one when he is there.

I guess I don't see the interest in playing a "fake" guitar????? He tried to explain it to me one day but it was not sinking in.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:23 am

Bman wrote:

I have a good friend that has it ... a twentysomething who fights with little kids at best buy to use the demo one when he is there.

I guess I don't see the interest in playing a "fake" guitar????? He tried to explain it to me one day but it was not sinking in.
(Because I haven't cracked on them for awhile...)

Bman, would that be kind of like someone trying explain the benefits of a michigan university education? lol!
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:42 am

Card,

You gotta get the 80's Version... if that's not too "old" for you Smile
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:03 am

Bman wrote:

What? You have an interest in a "fake" presidential candidate, so what's the diff?

Oooh, a double hijacking!
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:09 am

Seriously, you guys suck... I blame Doe!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:37 am

What video game is *REAL* that makes guitar hero so "fake"?

You never played one of those arcade gun games? Are they shooting live rounds?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:39 am

I think Guitar Hero is fun - but certainly not anything like playing a guitar. It reminds me of this game that they used to have on the original playstation - Parappa the Rapper. The whole point was to hit certain buttons at certain times based on the musical rhythm of the song. Also, I think it's funny that those that I know who own this game (with a few exceptions) are not ones who know anything about classic rock. But all of a sudden, they'll recognize "Sunshine of your Love" as a Cream song.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:05 pm

Oliver's Army wrote:What video game is *REAL* that makes guitar hero so "fake"?

You never played one of those arcade gun games? Are they shooting live rounds?

Damn.. you beat me to it.. indeed.. what makes GH any more fake than GTA, Mario Brothers, Contra, Pac-Man.. etc.

Meta.. there's an 80's version? I scoped out 1 and 2 online to see their track lists.. I think 3 is perfect for me. I know a lot on 1 and 2, but 3 seems to be a better fit.. Social Distortion, Cream, Rage, Metallica, Sabbath, Foghat.. just a great all around collection.

I did see a Helmet song on 1 though, that alone would make me want to buy it... Unsung rocks.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:06 pm

SavoyTruffle wrote:I think Guitar Hero is fun - but certainly not anything like playing a guitar. It reminds me of this game that they used to have on the original playstation - Parappa the Rapper. The whole point was to hit certain buttons at certain times based on the musical rhythm of the song. Also, I think it's funny that those that I know who own this game (with a few exceptions) are not ones who know anything about classic rock. But all of a sudden, they'll recognize "Sunshine of your Love" as a Cream song.

lol... i was playing that the other night and my wife was up making fun of me.. then she recognized the song, and really started laughing when I'd miss notes and the guitar riff would cut out..
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:29 pm

cardinal5150 wrote:
Meta.. there's an 80's version? I scoped out 1 and 2 online to see their track lists.. I think 3 is perfect for me. I know a lot on 1 and 2, but 3 seems to be a better fit.. Social Distortion, Cream, Rage, Metallica, Sabbath, Foghat.. just a great all around collection.

I did see a Helmet song on 1 though, that alone would make me want to buy it... Unsung rocks.

You're going to end up owning all of them. I get most of my older console games from eBay. (like Contra, "old" comment taken back)
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:31 pm

Checky Checky... it's very cool

http://www.guitarherogame.com/gh80s/

I rocked out with my ... Radar Love
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:35 pm

meta4 wrote:Checky Checky... it's very cool

Balls to the Wall man Laughing
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:49 pm

LTRT wrote:

Balls to the Wall man Laughing

Yes, that's on there too but I never cared for the song... too gory and dark.

I did OK on Turning Japanese, it was more of a fun song than one that I wanted to "rock out"
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:05 pm

lol.. what self respecting game can be called Rock's the 80's without Pour Some Sugar On Me?

I think 3 is the only one I'd really get into.. I think I saw some AIC on 1 or 2.. but 3 appears to be the one that appeals most to me. Not a big fan of most of those 80's songs.. my wife might like it though.

If they come out with the Van Halen version though it might force me to buy a PS3.. that and Metallica would rock.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:09 pm

cardinal5150 wrote:lol.. what self respecting game can be called Rock's the 80's without Pour Some Sugar On Me?
None.
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:16 pm

meta4 wrote:
cardinal5150 wrote:

You're going to end up owning all of them. I get most of my older console games from eBay. (like Contra, "old" comment taken back)

Ever go to McVan's?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:09 pm

GH is supposed to be coming with a GH World Tour that includes drums and vocals to compete with Rock Band and will have Def Leppard and VH on the play list.. that would be sweeeet.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:30 pm

cardinal5150 wrote:Ever go to McVan's?

I've been there a half dozen times. I've purchased maaaaaybe 12 xbox games, most were titles for my kids. I decided that I would spend more time researching the games and really just buying fewer games. I mean what 4-7 year old needs 30 xbox games? IMHO, I'm glad I started my kids on computer games early and I got them used to "ok, you've played enough for today. it's time to shut it down and (insert task)". I don't want to raise green kids Smile

I really don't play my xbox much at all anymore unless one of the kids gives me the control and wants me to get them past the next big jump or whatever. My wife has been asking about the Wii, and she really wanted to get one for christmas, but the budget committee shot that down. I want to try to play a few Wii games before I get one. The Xbox360 sux in my opinion, it's an xbox with a little more power and (maybe) an HDMI output. The PS3 is too expensive, I don't wanna drop $600 on another console. In general I guess I'm just not as interested in playing games as often anymore .... that said, I'm one cool game demo away from buying a Wii, Xbox360, or PS3 Very Happy
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:40 pm

We have a wii... but not many games. My wife digs zelda, and we play tennis together. Call of Duty is pretty cool on it, but if "veg Out in front of video games" is your idea of the experience, then the Wii isnt for you. with COD, there's a scene early in the game where a nazi grapples with you and you have to swing your arms pretty madly to get him off you, then go through the motions of beating him to death with the butt of your rifle. Which is somewhat exhilarating in a pretty astonishing way.

I have no real interest in guitar hero or rockband. The rockband drum set has a really crappy pedal, and the open hi-hat requires you to hit a different pad, vs using a second foot pedal (which is an egregious omission, IMHO). Further, when you play on earlier levels, it leaves out notes in the drum rhythm, much like GH does. This supposedly makes it easier for people that have never played drums, but much harder for those that have, as you have to "read music" vs playing by ear.

There's a neighbor kid that can play GH on expert, meanwhile his guitar gathers dust.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:45 am

pez wrote:We have a wii... but not many games. My wife digs zelda, and we play tennis together. Call of Duty is pretty cool on it, but if "veg Out in front of video games" is your idea of the experience, then the Wii isnt for you. with COD, there's a scene early in the game where a nazi grapples with you and you have to swing your arms pretty madly to get him off you, then go through the motions of beating him to death with the butt of your rifle. Which is somewhat exhilarating in a pretty astonishing way.

I have no real interest in guitar hero or rockband. The rockband drum set has a really crappy pedal, and the open hi-hat requires you to hit a different pad, vs using a second foot pedal (which is an egregious omission, IMHO). Further, when you play on earlier levels, it leaves out notes in the drum rhythm, much like GH does. This supposedly makes it easier for people that have never played drums, but much harder for those that have, as you have to "read music" vs playing by ear.

There's a neighbor kid that can play GH on expert, meanwhile his guitar gathers dust.

Ok, my next console will be a Wii. You had me at "beating him to death" Twisted Evil Also, it would be nice to play Boxing and virtually beat the hell out of my kids, I think they would enjoy getting to take a jab at Dad every once in a while. Very Happy

My wife wants the Wii Fit. I've been looking at it and it's pretty cool.

I would love to play the original Legend of Zelda and maybe Kung Fu, Castlevania, and I understand you can go online and download the old games into the Wii.

Pez, have you done much with it Online?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:02 am

http://www.wiihaveaproblem.com/

A bunch of clumsy Wiierd people...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:29 pm

I've played the wii a number of times... at first it's pretty cool.. but after that, I got tired of it. Personally, I'll probably get the PS3 if I get another one. I'm very much a veg out guy.. i like the idea of actually getting a workout.. but I also like to be able to shut down for 2-3 hours and just shoot people. Smile
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Mort Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:59 am

I started playing a real Guitar in 1959

I'll stick to my electric Gibson

I need to see and hear one of those Card affraid
Mort
Mort
Admin
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 1400

https://therealboard.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:35 am

cardinal5150 wrote:I've played the wii a number of times... at first it's pretty cool.. but after that, I got tired of it. Personally, I'll probably get the PS3 if I get another one. I'm very much a veg out guy.. i like the idea of actually getting a workout.. but I also like to be able to shut down for 2-3 hours and just shoot people. Smile

I feel the same way... The Wii controls are novel and groundbreaking, but one of my fave games on any console is Sony's Gran Tourismo... I cant imagine what it's like with a Wii controller. I would think that they could compromise and release an optional control system for it.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next