The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cell Phone bans

+3
Markwes
Cincy Fan 44
LTRT
7 posters

Go down

Cell Phone bans Empty Cell Phone bans

Post  LTRT Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:26 pm

On July 1, California and Washington will join a handful of other states in banning drivers from talking on a cell phone unless they use a hands-free device.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25379642/

I wish Indiana would hurry up and institute the ban. I wished we all drove go karts, because if we did I'd be running these clowns off the road. Especially these Joe Cool guys (probably salesmen) in ties during the lunch hour driving around town doing the serious elbow lean on the center console driving 10-15 mph below the limit. Mad
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Cell Phone bans Empty Re: Cell Phone bans

Post  Guest Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:32 pm

Hands free doesn't help. It's the mind=road disconnect that's the killer.

I always thought that car makers should build a device into the cars antenna that lights and flashes when it sees Cell signal coming from inside the car. At least we would know who to avoid.

Then again I suggested we all get paintball guns to tag shitty drivers.
If you have spots all over your car, chances are YOUR the shitty driver.
Anonymous
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Cell Phone bans Empty Re: Cell Phone bans

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:12 pm

LTRT wrote:
On July 1, California and Washington will join a handful of other states in banning drivers from talking on a cell phone unless they use a hands-free device.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25379642/

I wish Indiana would hurry up and institute the ban. I wished we all drove go karts, because if we did I'd be running these clowns off the road. Especially these Joe Cool guys (probably salesmen) in ties during the lunch hour driving around town doing the serious elbow lean on the center console driving 10-15 mph below the limit. Mad
And while they're at it, can they please ban michigan university licence plats that people put on their vehicles? No need to clutter up the roadways with those things... Razz

Seriously, I'm on the fence on this one. I don't drive and talk very often at all; however, what's next? You can't change the radio station in your car because it might require you to take your eyes off the road? But I can certainly understand that DWCT (Driving While Cellphone Talking) is a dangerous thing to do, and has been known to cause accidents. Just like drinking and driving, you're making a concious decision to be distracted/impaired while driving. However, I would argue there are many things to cause distractions while you drive...billboards, changing the radio station, Sue Ellen Mischkie (Seinfeld reference), etc...but you don't see us banning those (yet).
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852
Location : Wherever you can gird your loins

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Cell Phone bans Empty Re: Cell Phone bans

Post  Markwes Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:47 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:However, I would argue there are many things to cause distractions while you drive...billboards, changing the radio station, Sue Ellen Mischkie (Seinfeld reference), etc...but you don't see us banning those (yet).
Exactly the point I was going to make. A cell phone ban while driving is just legislating common sense. I have seen people reading a newspaper while driving. And when I was young, I had a minor collision with a car in front of me for... yes, changing the radio station.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096
Age : 58
Location : asylum

Back to top Go down

Cell Phone bans Empty Re: Cell Phone bans

Post  Guest Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:57 pm

Oliver's Army wrote:Then again I suggested we all get paintball guns to tag shitty drivers.
If you have spots all over your car, chances are YOUR the shitty driver.

Everyone gets "Asshole" stickers to hand out.. someone cuts you off, you slap one on their car.. once you get three stickers on your car, you're out.

I stole that from Dennis Miller
Anonymous
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Cell Phone bans Empty Re: Cell Phone bans

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:02 pm

Markwes wrote:
Cincy Fan 44 wrote:However, I would argue there are many things to cause distractions while you drive...billboards, changing the radio station, Sue Ellen Mischkie (Seinfeld reference), etc...but you don't see us banning those (yet).
Exactly the point I was going to make. A cell phone ban while driving is just legislating common sense. I have seen people reading a newspaper while driving. And when I was young, I had a minor collision with a car in front of me for... yes, changing the radio station.
Thanks Markwes! And really, when you think about it, do we really want MORE Government telling us what to do or not do?
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852
Location : Wherever you can gird your loins

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Cell Phone bans Empty Re: Cell Phone bans

Post  Guest Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:20 pm

Markwes wrote:
Cincy Fan 44 wrote:However, I would argue there are many things to cause distractions while you drive...billboards, changing the radio station, Sue Ellen Mischkie (Seinfeld reference), etc...but you don't see us banning those (yet).
Exactly the point I was going to make. A cell phone ban while driving is just legislating common sense. I have seen people reading a newspaper while driving. And when I was young, I had a minor collision with a car in front of me for... yes, changing the radio station.

Now that you mention it...

My father was pulled over and ticketed in Wapakoneta OH in the early 1970's (freakin' Buckeyes) for reading a newspaper exiting town on 33 on his way back to Fort Wayne. He was looking at something like an address or whatever. He wrote a letter to either the town judge or the county prosecutor and they dropped the ticket. That was either just before or just after he served as Allen County Clerk.
Anonymous
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Cell Phone bans Empty Re: Cell Phone bans

Post  Scooby01_98 Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:31 pm

I might not be for this ban if the cops did their job. Too many times I have seen people driving like crap talking on the phone with a cop car not far behind not pulling the person over and writing a ticket.
Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1642
Location : The Fort

http://www.nola.com

Back to top Go down

Cell Phone bans Empty Re: Cell Phone bans

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:31 pm

meta4 wrote:Now that you mention it...

My father was pulled over and ticketed in Wapakoneta OH in the early 1970's (freakin' Buckeyes) for reading a newspaper exiting town on 33 on his way back to Fort Wayne. He was looking at something like an address or whatever. He wrote a letter to either the town judge or the county prosecutor and they dropped the ticket. That was either just before or just after he served as Allen County Clerk.
Too bad it didn't stick... Razz
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852
Location : Wherever you can gird your loins

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Cell Phone bans Empty Re: Cell Phone bans

Post  Guest Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:54 pm

I want to punch every person I see that's texting while they drive.

And a cell phone usage ban won't do shit. It's the distraction of NOT PAYING ATTENTION that makes you a shitty driver when on the phone.
Anonymous
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Cell Phone bans Empty Re: Cell Phone bans

Post  moondrop Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:33 am

Then ban applying make up, brushing hair, yelling at your kids, lighting pipes, cigs, etc... reading (as mentioned), radios, cd players, head phones, gps, heated seats, etc... They all distract or make to comfortable.

moondrop
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Female
Number of posts : 351
Location : Allen County

Back to top Go down

Cell Phone bans Empty Re: Cell Phone bans

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:35 am

moondrop wrote:Then ban applying make up
But that's the time Bman uses to get pretty in the morning...nyuck, nyuck, nyuck.
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852
Location : Wherever you can gird your loins

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Cell Phone bans Empty Re: Cell Phone bans

Post  Canuck Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:22 am

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:
moondrop wrote:Then ban applying make up
But that's the time Bman uses to get pretty in the morning...nyuck, nyuck, nyuck.

LOL, is there enough time or makeup for that?

Don't get your knickers in a knot Bman, I am just kidding.

They have a ban on using a handheld cellphone in NYS, everytime I drive there I still see people driving and talking as though they are sitting in their bloody living room. Changing lanes on the highway without signalling and in some cases just drifting.

In Ontario they are talking about it now. I won't have a problem with that in place.
Canuck
Canuck
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1717
Location : Kanaduh

Back to top Go down

Cell Phone bans Empty Re: Cell Phone bans

Post  Guest Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:11 pm

They will have to rip my cellphone from my cold dead hands ... thought I would throw Charleston Heston's comment out there about taking his guns away from him. Looks like Charleston got to sleep good last night after the SC ruling yesterday.
Anonymous
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Cell Phone bans Empty Re: Cell Phone bans

Post  Markwes Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:26 pm

Bman wrote:They will have to rip my cellphone from my cold dead hands ... thought I would throw Charleston Heston's comment out there about taking his guns away from him. Looks like Charleston got to sleep good last night after the SC ruling yesterday.
Dead people generally do sleep good.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096
Age : 58
Location : asylum

Back to top Go down

Cell Phone bans Empty Re: Cell Phone bans

Post  Guest Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:39 pm

I know, he finally got his rest.
Anonymous
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Cell Phone bans Empty Re: Cell Phone bans

Post  floridafun Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:21 pm

i wouldnt have a problem with cell phones banned while driving.
liked the heston comment Twisted Evil
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Cell Phone bans Empty Re: Cell Phone bans

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum