The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Net Neutrality vs. Tiered service matrix

Go down

Net Neutrality vs. Tiered service matrix Empty Net Neutrality vs. Tiered service matrix

Post  Guest Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:29 am

Not sure how many readers are up to speed on this issue but I figured I'd try to shed some light on this. Don't worry, I won't be using any fruits or vegetables as props. ;D

Recently McCain and BO voted in favor of the F.I.S.A. bill that expands the domestic wiretapping freedoms and immunizes telecom companies from legal culpability for aiding the gov.

I'm hoping that FISA is momentary concession for the Telecom companies.

Honestly, I'm more interested in their plan for Internet2 Tiered services pricing vs. Net Neutrality. What spooks me out is that it's a MUCH LARGER issue in terms of impacting the little guy economically. Technologically speaking, it's completely adverse to why the internet has succeeded to date... freedom... it will reverse the the physics of what makes the net so wonderful. Telecom companies are flat out lying when they say that there is a bandwidth problem. There is no bandwidth problem, there is a security and infrastructure problem. There is a problem with the way we move data, not what wire we move it along. The telecom infrastructure companies are trying to pass off the costs of burying fiber, enhanced copper, etc. to the consumer on yet another level. We're already paying for these things on our telephone, and terrestrial broadband services bills.

The costs of bandwidth:
The basis for these high costs in the US is because the households who demand broadband are spread out... the average bandwidth per household here in the US is 1/20th what Japan has available simply because of the difference in population densities.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Net Neutrality vs. Tiered service matrix Empty Re: Net Neutrality vs. Tiered service matrix

Post  Guest Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:25 am

... an example of how we'll see the tiered services pricing matrix begin to supersede the current bandwidth allocation per user/household. This article describes the capabilities that broadband providers have been using for years, they've been talking about this for years, and probably have been doing it for years. The problem is that most end users don't have any way of knowing when the service provider "turns it down a notch". Recently with the Net Neutrality legislation and discussions with the FCC and in Congress more people are beginning to understand the dynamics of data transmission.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/06/04/comcast-tests-a-new-bandwidth-black-list/?ref=technology

A bit of reference how the US ranks on a worldwide scale in the saturation of broadband internet

http://www.websiteoptimization.com/bw/0704/
Anonymous

Back to top Go down