The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Incomes Rise

+2
Cincy Fan 44
LTRT
6 posters

Go down

Incomes Rise Empty Incomes Rise

Post  LTRT Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:32 pm

Average U.S. Income Rose in 2006
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/26/business/economy/26income.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

"Americans enjoyed higher average income in 2006 for the first time since 2000, when the last economic expansion ended, the latest tax data show."

"Average income grew significantly in 2004, rising $2,291, and again in 2005, when the average increased by $2,210. Income growth continued in 2006, but at a much slower pace, increasing by $1,369 over the 2005 average once inflation is taken into account."

"However, salaries fell noticeably among the tiny slice of taxpayers whose total income was $1 million or more, a threshold that the I.R.S. does not adjust for inflation."

How about that, not so gloom and doom after all, who would've thought. Looks like most are better off, and boy those rich...what happened, they're not getting any richer.
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Incomes Rise Empty Re: Incomes Rise

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:02 pm

I wonder if this will be mentioned at all at the DNC? scratch
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:16 pm

You are out of your ever loving fucking mind. Go peddle your crazy somewhere else. Yeah cause people are losing their homes in foreclosure and filing bankruptcies in record numbers because they're doing so well. Consider yourself dead-zoned from me and that's quite an accomplishment; one even doe/moon hasn't managed. I wish we had an ignore feature.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:20 pm

Heh. Old data considering that's for the 2006 tax year. Before the real estate crash, and high gas prices.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:24 pm

Vis wrote:Yeah cause people are losing their homes in foreclosure and filing bankruptcies in record numbers because they're doing so well. .

You mean those really smart people that took those wonderful rates that every lender was touting. scratch
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:30 pm

Jugomugo wrote:Heh. Old data considering that's for the 2006 tax year. Before the real estate crash, and high gas prices.

Yeh I know, but it's from the NY Times, I thought everything they printed was something you could take to the bank.
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:09 pm

Vis wrote:You are out of your ever loving fucking mind. Go peddle your crazy somewhere else. Yeah cause people are losing their homes in foreclosure and filing bankruptcies in record numbers because they're doing so well. Consider yourself dead-zoned from me and that's quite an accomplishment; one even doe/moon hasn't managed. I wish we had an ignore feature.
Easy there Vis. LTRT isn't anywhere close to that territory. He just tries to balance out some of the thumping that Bman does all of the time for his candidate of choice.
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:29 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:
Vis wrote:You are out of your ever loving fucking mind. Go peddle your crazy somewhere else. Yeah cause people are losing their homes in foreclosure and filing bankruptcies in record numbers because they're doing so well. Consider yourself dead-zoned from me and that's quite an accomplishment; one even doe/moon hasn't managed. I wish we had an ignore feature.
Easy there Vis. LTRT isn't anywhere close to that territory. He just tries to balance out some of the thumping that Bman does all of the time for his candidate of choice.

Leave Bman out of this thread.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:42 am

The IRS is usually a couple years slow in releasing data, but I can't say I'm surprised to see incomes rising in the past few years. We're having problems now because of stupid choices, not because of falling wages.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:13 am

The averages may be going up for middle class and higher, but wages have gone down for a lot of factory and production jobs.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:09 am

long as your job isnt affected thats great for you.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/04/04/news/economy/jobs_march/

80,000 jobs lost, unemployment spikes
Employers slash jobs for third straight month while unemployment jumps to 5.1%, a nearly three-year high.

U.S. employers slashed jobs for the third straight month in March and unemployment rose to a nearly three-year high, offering the latest signs that the economy has fallen into a recession.

The Labor Department's much anticipated report, released Friday, showed a net loss of 80,000 jobs last month. That marks the third straight month that jobs have fallen - the longest period of decline since early 2003.

Economists surveyed by Briefing.com had forecast that payrolls would fall by 50,000 in the latest reading.

The new report also pegged job losses in January and February at 76,000 each month.

Those revisions added an additional 67,000 job losses to previous readings. The Labor Department now estimates that the economy has shed 232,000 jobs in the first three months of this year.
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:42 pm

I've been hearing from the left for about 6 months now how we are in a recession, yet every time there are economic reports released, we're not in a recession. Always makes me laugh. My guess is by now they are just going to keep repeating it with the idea that someday they'll be right.. kinda like the stopped clock being right twice/day.

I think Factory workers are more and more considered firmly in the middle class these days. How many of us know someone who works at GM and isn't exactly struggling when it comes to their paycheck.. now.. maybe they've made bad choices, but to get $50K+ in FW to put a seat in a Silverado isn't exactly what I'd call underpaid.

So to suggest that middle class wages are going up but factory wages are falling seems to be a bit contradictory to me. But like I said.. I view factory workers at middle class, so I guess it's all on your view of who's middle class.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:53 pm

floridafun wrote:long as your job isnt affected thats great for you.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/04/04/news/economy/jobs_march/

80,000 jobs lost, unemployment spikes
Employers slash jobs for third straight month while unemployment jumps to 5.1%, a nearly three-year high.

U.S. employers slashed jobs for the third straight month in March and unemployment rose to a nearly three-year high, offering the latest signs that the economy has fallen into a recession.

The Labor Department's much anticipated report, released Friday, showed a net loss of 80,000 jobs last month. That marks the third straight month that jobs have fallen - the longest period of decline since early 2003.

Economists surveyed by Briefing.com had forecast that payrolls would fall by 50,000 in the latest reading.

The new report also pegged job losses in January and February at 76,000 each month.

Those revisions added an additional 67,000 job losses to previous readings. The Labor Department now estimates that the economy has shed 232,000 jobs in the first three months of this year.

So 5.1% is catastrophically high, yet you support a candidate who proposes tax changes that, in their own words, return rates to a max at where they were under Reagan (7.54% unemployment) and are being compared to that of Herbert Hoover (what.. 50% unemployment?).

I'm just curious as to how you can support one side knowing that the other side is sitting there.

Look at it this way, was the economy booming under Carter? No.. he's known for being in office when we had oil shortages, stagflation and the highest prime rate of any President in history. What's kinda ironic is that Paul Volker was present under Carter and is now advising BO on econmics. There's mixed opinions on if Volker helped or pro-longed the misery of Carter's Presidency on the economy. But most believe the high rates instituted by him led to the recession of the 80's.

So, under Reagan we were coming from a slow time, and he lowered taxes, not raised them. What happened? The economy recovered, jobs grew, unemployment started to go down and the prime rates went down.

Now, I don't think we are where we were under Carter, but I don't think the economy could take anymore of a slowdown because of bad economic policy (i.e. raising taxes on anyone).
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:07 pm

There is nothing worse than the media throwing the 'R' word around as totally subjective, like "signs that the economy has fallen into a recession". If CNN is going to make an inference like that, than tell us how you arrived at that. Is there a formula? Or do you just say that we are in a recession when the unemployment rate "jumps" to 5.1%?
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooby01_98 Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:04 pm

Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1642

http://www.nola.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:57 pm

cardinal5150 wrote:I've been hearing from the left for about 6 months now how we are in a recession, yet every time there are economic reports released, we're not in a recession. Always makes me laugh. My guess is by now they are just going to keep repeating it with the idea that someday they'll be right.. kinda like the stopped clock being right twice/day.

I think Factory workers are more and more considered firmly in the middle class these days. How many of us know someone who works at GM and isn't exactly struggling when it comes to their paycheck.. now.. maybe they've made bad choices, but to get $50K+ in FW to put a seat in a Silverado isn't exactly what I'd call underpaid.

So to suggest that middle class wages are going up but factory wages are falling seems to be a bit contradictory to me. But like I said.. I view factory workers at middle class, so I guess it's all on your view of who's middle class.

I wouldn't use the GM plant as your point of reference. A LOT of factories are only paying $9-10 and hour, which is barely a living wage.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:02 pm

Jugomugo wrote:
cardinal5150 wrote:I've been hearing from the left for about 6 months now how we are in a recession, yet every time there are economic reports released, we're not in a recession. Always makes me laugh. My guess is by now they are just going to keep repeating it with the idea that someday they'll be right.. kinda like the stopped clock being right twice/day.

I wouldn't use the GM plant as your point of reference. A LOT of factories are only paying $9-10 and hour, which is barely a living wage.

I wonder how many of those $9-10 hr workers have cell phones, fios/comcast tv, spend their Fri/Sat evenings sucking down about 12 cold ones, play cherry masters, have tires/wheels worth more than their vehicle, have mega blaster stereos in their cars, spend $60+ on jeans from Abercrombie, buy every CD that comes out, etc, etc, etc. Twisted Evil
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:05 pm

You're probably right about some, but it is still extremely hard to live on that kind of money. Especially if you have a family.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:09 pm

Jugomugo wrote:I wouldn't use the GM plant as your point of reference. A LOT of factories are only paying $9-10 and hour, which is barely a living wage.

They are my main source of income for factory workers.. that and a couple other places that pay relatively well around here... so I guess I'm a bit biased or out of whack on what I assume factory workers made.

Still.. I think $10/hour to screw in a seat for 8 hours isn't too far out of whack for what is appropriate in my opinion.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Mort Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:19 am

you would not last a week in there Card
Mort
Mort
Admin
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 1400

https://therealboard.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:18 pm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26436824/

WASHINGTON - The economy shifted to a higher gear in the spring, growing at its fastest pace in nearly a year as foreign buyers snapped up U.S. exports and tax rebates spurred shoppers at home.

The Commerce Department reported Thursday that gross domestic product, or GDP, increased at a 3.3 percent annual rate in the April-June quarter. The revised reading was much better than the government’s initial estimate of a 1.9 percent pace and exceeded economists’ expectations for a 2.7 percent growth rate.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:15 am

Report Card: Workers worse off on pay, employment
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 7:08 a.m. ET

NEW YORK (AP) -- This Labor Day finds workers in worse shape than they've been in years, according to a scorecard released Monday by Rutgers University.

In its first national labor scorecard, the Rutgers School of Management and Labor Relations said more than 10 percent of Americans are unemployed, discouraged from seeking work or underemployed. That is a nearly 25-percent increase from one year earlier.

Professor Douglas Kruse, a labor economist who created the scorecard, said a sharp decline in the number of Americans able to find full-time jobs, along with growing consumer debt and health care costs, were causes for concern.

''But there are some bright spots long term,'' Kruse said, including improvements in workplace safety, a small but growing percentage of employers offering support for childcare and employee wellness programs, and more Americans who are completely satisfied with their jobs.

Meanwhile, the Labor Department last week said the number of people signing up for jobless benefits declined for the third straight period, but remained above 400,000 -- an indicator of a slowing economy.

The Rutgers labor scorecard offered other sobering findings:

-- About 530,000 were subject to mass layoffs in the last year, growth of nearly 5 percent, but a lower rate than five and 10 years ago.

-- The median weekly earnings for American workers have not grown in real terms over the last eight years.

-- At $6.55, the federal minimum wage is worth 40 cents less per hour, in inflation-adjusted dollars, than it was a decade ago.

-- While employer-assisted childcare and employee wellness programs have grown quickly over the last decade, they still cover less than one quarter of American workers.

-- Roughly 4 percent of the workforce wants to work full-time, but is working part time because they can't find full-time work.

The scorecard, which doesn't assign grades but charts whether indicators are improving or getting worse, is based primarily on data from the federal Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Mort Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:10 am

by the looks of this it changes every hour and per news source No
Mort
Mort
Admin
Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:38 am

Mort wrote:you would not last a week in there Card

I've done hard manual labor before... factory work in an auto plant would be a cake walk in comparison. Especially when you've got your union reps to go cry to when you don't want to work because you got in a fight at home (just one of the many reasons used at the Chrysler Transmission plant).
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Mort Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:45 am

I'm talking day after day the same ol shit wears out your body parts. Its like ball players they make good money for a shirt time cause they can't do it for very long. It drains the life out of you.

30 an hour plus medical is fair with for this kind of work.

Funny a CEO is OK making 4 mill a year but the worker who is doing all the work 80,000.00 a year.

No What a Face
Mort
Mort
Admin
Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content