The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The DOW falls 455 pts today

5 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The DOW falls 455 pts today Empty The DOW falls 455 pts today

Post  Guest Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:38 pm

Down 1,000 this week ... 8 more years 8 more years!!!!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

The DOW falls 455 pts today Empty Re: The DOW falls 455 pts today

Post  Guest Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:53 pm

Bman wrote:Down 1,000 this week ... 8 more years 8 more years!!!!

it pisses me off that we are loaning AIG 85 billion dollars and it will only take 60 bn to have the best schools in the world... wtf?

I think it's only down about 950 this week, but it's Only wednesday.

At 2% we get 1.7 billion a year in interest... assuming they actually pay it back...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:33 am

go see the AIG thread for the facts on the "bailout"
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:34 pm

Geesh, I stay out of the political thread and still can't get away from the same crap. I've got to say I have never known anyone who thinks his life is going to be so radically (and 'radical' is a pretty good description) different if one candidate gets elected over another. Since you think Obama has a magic wand and will bring down gas prices, convince banks not to give risky mortgages, somehow increase the supply of bananas to bring their price down, etc., how about you just start telling us everything bad that's going on in the world and then add "8 more years" behind it? Divorce rate goes up? 8 more years! That train wreck that was in the news recently? 8 more years!
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:47 pm

Currently:
Dow +146.40+1.38%
Nasdaq +21.79+1.04%
S&P +17.39+1.50%
Very Happy

October 27, 1997 mini-crash
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_27,_1997_mini-crash

Oh no, Bush wasn't office then, bummer.
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:47 pm

Markwes wrote:
Geesh, I stay out of the political thread and still can't get away from the same crap. I've got to say I have never known anyone who thinks his life is going to be so radically (and 'radical' is a pretty good description) different if one candidate gets elected over another. Since you think Obama has a magic wand and will bring down gas prices, convince banks not to give risky mortgages, somehow increase the supply of bananas to bring their price down, etc., how about you just start telling us everything bad that's going on in the world and then add "8 more years" behind it? Divorce rate goes up? 8 more years! That train wreck that was in the news recently? 8 more years!

Mark, McCain caused this meltdown in 1999 with the passage of insurance and banking deregulation that Phil Gramm and John McCain supported. Pretty simple.

Got attitude?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:51 pm

LTRT wrote:

Currently:
Dow +146.40+1.38%
Nasdaq +21.79+1.04%
S&P +17.39+1.50%
Very Happy

RT ... if you and your family are better off today then by all means vote for McCain ... you should. For those Americans NOT better off today or those Americans that think that America will be worse for their kids and grandkids if McCain is elected then we should vote for Barack Obama.

I think everyone on this board has their mind made up ... So we can just banter about ... I am not trying to sway anyone here ... I am just defending my choice, something no one has done YET for McCain.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:55 pm

And that caused the DOW to fall 1000 points? Interesting, I thought economics was more complicated than that.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:01 pm

Bman wrote:RT ... if you and your family are better off today then by all means vote for McCain ... you should. For those Americans NOT better off today or those Americans that think that America will be worse for their kids and grandkids if McCain is elected then we should vote for Barack Obama.

I think everyone on this board has their mind made up ... So we can just banter about ... I am not trying to sway anyone here ... I am just defending my choice, something no one has done YET for McCain.

You might want to think of a better word choice, I doubt anyone on this board thinks your posts are lighthearted teasing remarks. Maybe you and your cohorts can fool the young college kids, but we see right thru you.
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:01 pm

Bman wrote:Mark, McCain caused this meltdown in 1999 with the passage of insurance and banking deregulation that Phil Gramm and John McCain supported. Pretty simple.

Got attitude?

Ok, here's where I get off the train. We can't blame McCain for creating legislation aimed at deregulation. Deregulation did not cause the ignorance, greed, and corruption in the leadership of the companies that led to this mortgage and finance crisis.

However, IMO, one must consider that since 1999 McCain has changed his tune and now feels the need to reduce the lack of oversight and regulation that the legal landscape prior to 1999, and under the bill afterward.

What about change? Here you have it.
What about reform? Here you have it.

What other 'reform' is he talking about? Without specifics, one MUST assume he's talking about the most familiar aspects of his wealth of experience. Well, at least from what he can recall...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:04 pm

Bman wrote: I am just defending my choice, something no one has done YET for McCain.

No kidding! I can't recall if any of the others who have been bitching about the media treatment of the other candidate even PLEDGED their support for that candidate? I think you're the only one who has stated which candidate will get your vote.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:07 pm

meta4 wrote:
Bman wrote: I am just defending my choice, something no one has done YET for McCain.

No kidding! I can't recall if any of the others who have been bitching about the media treatment of the other candidate even PLEDGED their support for that candidate? I think you're the only one who has stated which candidate will get your vote.

Geez, you have to see it posted to know? scratch

I support John McCain and will be voting for him. How's that Meta, you want to know what time I'll be pushing the button also? I'll probably go during the lunch hour. Razz
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:10 pm

LTRT wrote: but we see right thru you.

Careful there Bman, you don't want him to see all of those nasty blunders you're trying to hide! The DOW falls 455 pts today 894597

"see right through you" as if you're hiding "The Script" aka "The Magic Incantation" that will sway the masses! lol!

THAT is a rather peculiar phrase LT... maybe you want to choose your words a little more carefully?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:11 pm

LTRT wrote:
meta4 wrote:

I support John McCain and will be voting for him. How's that Meta, you want to know what time I'll be pushing the button also? I'll probably go during the lunch hour. Razz
Don't want to totally speak for them, but I think they're getting at WHY you're voting for McCain. (I'm still on the fence...hoping the debates will help clear things up.)
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:13 pm

LTRT wrote:

That's funny, I don't think I even asked. I made a casual observation. I don't practice mind reading and fortune telling and prefer not to presume.

... but you know what I'm really curious about? What brand of toilet paper does John McCain use? C'mon you have to know! It's gotta be the best brand on earth and I want to get some for when MSIW. Cool

Last edited by meta4 on Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:13 pm

LTRT wrote:
Currently:
Dow +146.40+1.38%
Nasdaq +21.79+1.04%
S&P +17.39+1.50%
Very Happy

Wow! When I checked around 12:30 or 1pm, it was down about a 100...now, as of 2:12pm, it's up about 55.
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:15 pm

meta4 wrote:... but you know what I'm really curious about? What brand of toilet paper does John McCain use? C'mon you have to know! It's gotta be the best brand on earth and I want to get some for when MSIW. Cool
That's heresy talk Meta...your SINW! Smile
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:48 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:
LTRT wrote:
meta4 wrote:

Don't want to totally speak for them, but I think they're getting at WHY you're voting for McCain. (I'm still on the fence...hoping the debates will help clear things up.)

I am not sure there is a WHY support McCain, his supporters are not enthused, do not care about their candidate and are only pushing that McCain button because that is what they always do.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:51 pm

Bman wrote:
Cincy Fan 44 wrote:
LTRT wrote:
meta4 wrote:

I am not sure there is a WHY support McCain, his supporters are not enthused, do not care about their candidate and are only pushing that McCain button because that is what they always do.

Nothing to promote from the BHO camp anymore? Oh we're justing bantering. Very Happy
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:57 pm

LTRT wrote:Nothing to promote from the BHO camp anymore? Oh we're justing bantering. Very Happy

Another opportunity missed... damn. Twisted Evil
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:19 pm

Back on topic...Fasten your seat belts, it's going to be a bumpy ride. Dow up 319 pts. Damn that Bush and McCain making it go up! Evil or Very Mad
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:28 pm

Quick Vote
Can the Bush administration stabilize the economy?
Yes 17% 14070
No 83% 67663
Total Votes: 81733
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:08 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:Back on topic...Fasten your seat belts, it's going to be a bumpy ride. Dow up 319 pts. Damn that Bush and McCain making it go up! Evil or Very Mad

I'm trying to figure out out... when you take AIG out of the DOW and replace it with Kraft, is that a real swing, or just a change in the math?

Find any five year period and chart the DOW across it. In 98% of them it's been up.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:47 pm

Bman wrote:
As a general rule, Republicans are less enthused because they believe in being self sufficient. They look for government as an entity that should be in the background and not interfere unless absolutely necessary. Democrats, on the other hand, typically look for the government to be heavily involved, a "What are you going to do for me?" mentality. Obama caters to that by making big promises to the "victims" whose support he is trying to get.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:01 pm

Bman wrote:
Mark, McCain caused this meltdown in 1999 with the passage of insurance and banking deregulation that Phil Gramm and John McCain supported. Pretty simple.

Got attitude?

I'm just curious if you're actually able to think for yourself anymore or if you just run with whatever you see on the news about who is possibly to blame for anything?

Seriously.. the comments you've made on the market are so asinine I can't believe you've got a degree in anything financial, if I were from your college I'd demand you have your degree recalled.

Just a side note.. this law was signed by Clinton.. he didn't veto it. It also

This bill didn't cause the mortgage issues.. the mortgage problem is very simple. People bought houses they shouldn't have been approved for. This bill didn't lower the standards for loan approval. There are banks out there that didn't make any mortgage loans that are struggling because they bought mortgage backed securities. Again.. something this bill has absolutely zero to do with.

So rather than repeating whatever fodder is fed to you, seriously, do yourself a favor and stop, think and actually look something up. You won't sound like a complete imbecile in the future.

I heard a great quote on this yesterday, and I'm paraphrasing as much as I can remember.... "the problem is you used to have to go to the banker down the street who knew you, your parents, your brothers, your boss and everyone else to get a loan. They'd know your financial position and approve accordingly. Now people who are across the nation are approving loans without knowing anything because they want to make a buck, and that's the problem."

Norwest Bank was one of the pioneers in this field... I believe they were bought by Wells Fargo who is one of the few strong banks we have today. So clearly that's not the issue.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next