The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Charity Laugh Dinner

2 posters

Go down

Charity Laugh Dinner Empty Charity Laugh Dinner

Post  Guest Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:33 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/17/obama.mccain.dinner.ap/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

I hope there isn't too much 'spin' on this article from CNN, just thought this entire stage was hilarious. It's about time we all had a "good" laugh.

McCain + Catholic Archdiocese + Obama

McCain praised Obama for his "great skill, energy, and determination. It's not for nothing that he's inspired so many folks in his own party and beyond," he said of his rival, bidding to become the nation's first black president. "I can't wish my opponent luck but I do wish him well."

Obama said few Americans had served their country with "the same honor and distinction" as McCain, a former Navy pilot who was a prisoner of war for more than five years in Vietnam.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Charity Laugh Dinner Empty Re: Charity Laugh Dinner

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:44 pm

I saw some of this on one of the morning shows and really liked it. Glad to see the candidates can actually be civil with each other and have a funny bone too. Cheers to whoever wrote their jokes, but especially cheers to McCain & Obama for delivering them as well as they did!

I like this jab from the article, which I hadn't seen played on TV...

McCain joked that Democrats had already begun attacking Joe the Plumber, the Ohio man whom he referred to in Wednesday night's debate, and claimed "that this honest, hardworking small businessman could not possibly have enough income to face a tax increase under the Obama plan."

"What they don't know is that Joe the Plumber recently signed a very lucrative contract with a wealthy couple to handle all the work on all seven of their houses," McCain said, drawing laughter with the reference to his property holdings.

And this was a good line too by Obama...

Said Obama: "Contrary to the rumors you have heard, I was not born in a manger. I was actually born on Krypton and sent here by my father, Jor-el, to save the planet Earth," a reference to Superman.

Just a side question though, is it really necessary for the writer of the article to mention that Obama's quote was a reference to Superman? I mean, they didn't say "a reference to Jesus Christ" when he mentioned the manger. Probably just being picky today...
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:50 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:Just a side question though, is it really necessary for the writer of the article to mention that Obama's quote was a reference to Superman? I mean, they didn't say "a reference to Jesus Christ" when he mentioned the manger. Probably just being picky today...

See, I give the author credit because perhaps he felt that fine line in using the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. Remember the first commandment?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:58 pm

meta4 wrote:
Cincy Fan 44 wrote:Just a side question though, is it really necessary for the writer of the article to mention that Obama's quote was a reference to Superman? I mean, they didn't say "a reference to Jesus Christ" when he mentioned the manger. Probably just being picky today...

See, I give the author credit because perhaps he felt that fine line in using the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. Remember the first commandment?
You're right. Perhaps he did feel there was a line there not to be crossed. But let's just end my original question then after the question about the Superman reference. Was it really necessary? Chances are if you're reading CNN you've heard the story of Superman...
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:12 pm

I dunno. Probably not.

I'm still wondering if it was really necessary that the money for the bailout went to irresponsible financial managers?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:28 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:And this was a good line too by Obama...

Said Obama: "Contrary to the rumors you have heard, I was not born in a manger. I was actually born on Krypton and sent here by my father, Jor-el, to save the planet Earth," a reference to Superman.

One that fell flat with the audience.
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:31 pm

LTRT wrote:
Cincy Fan 44 wrote:And this was a good line too by Obama...

One that fell flat with the audience.
Maybe so, but I thought it was clever. Obviously the "Manhattan Democrats" in the audience don't have the same appreciation for corniness that I do. Laughing
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:40 pm

meta4 wrote:I dunno. Probably not.

I'm still wondering if it was really necessary that the money for the bailout went to irresponsible financial managers?

I watched Pelosi on Charley Rose last night and now have a slightly better idea of how it went down. It was a decent watch; although she was really awkward for the first 15 minutes when she loosened up and got comfortable she was pretty informative. I don't really agree with everything but I remember why I've been a Democrat. Probably the most startling information is that there is absolutely no condition on the institutions that received bailout money that they actually loan the money which is what I thought was the basic idea of infusiion of capital. On the otherhand, the move away from buying bad paper and actually obtaining some equity for the taxpayers is a welcome move even if only spurred by the Brits.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:25 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:
meta4 wrote:

You're right. Perhaps he did feel there was a line there not to be crossed. But let's just end my original question then after the question about the Superman reference. Was it really necessary? Chances are if you're reading CNN you've heard the story of Superman...

I think it's more of a matter of most people get the manger reference, but not the Superman reference.

I mean, cmon, superman was a shitty comic book and even worse movies.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down