The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Exxon Mobil posts biggest US quarterly profit ever

5 posters

Go down

Exxon Mobil posts biggest US quarterly profit ever Empty Exxon Mobil posts biggest US quarterly profit ever

Post  Guest Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:41 pm

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/081030/earns_exxon_mobil.html

Exxon Mobil posts biggest US quarterly profit ever
Thursday October 30, 12:23 pm ET
By John Porretto, AP Business Writer
Exxon Mobil shatters own record for largest profit from operations by a US corporation

HOUSTON (AP) -- Exxon Mobil Corp., the world's largest publicly traded oil company, reported income Thursday that shattered its own record for the biggest profit from operations by a U.S. corporation, earning $14.83 billion in the third quarter.

Yet numbers contained within the company's most recent financial report revealed production numbers that continue to sag, and shares slipped 3 percent in midday trading.

Yup. Oil companies need more tax breaks. Mad

Last edited by Jugomugo on Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Exxon Mobil posts biggest US quarterly profit ever Empty Re: Exxon Mobil posts biggest US quarterly profit ever

Post  floridafun Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:26 am

Exxon Mobil posts biggest US quarterly profit ever 795451
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Exxon Mobil posts biggest US quarterly profit ever Empty Re: Exxon Mobil posts biggest US quarterly profit ever

Post  Guest Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:30 am

floridafun wrote:Exxon Mobil posts biggest US quarterly profit ever 795451

John McCain is going to give them $4Billion more next year if he is elected. Drill Baby Drill
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Canuck Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:56 am

Their profits went up by 58% in Q3.
Canuck
Canuck
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1717

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:15 am

Canuck wrote:Their profits went up by 58% in Q3.
I guess they have some smart people in upper management then. Too bad some of our lending institutions didn't have the same type of employees.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:44 pm

Markwes wrote:
I guess they have some smart people in upper management then. Too bad some of our lending institutions didn't have the same type of employees.

It takes smart people to gouge the consumer?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:09 pm

Bman wrote:
Markwes wrote:

They are apparently smarter than the taxpayers, who have done little to nothing to stop the thievery.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:21 pm

Bman wrote:
Markwes wrote:

The simplest economic model says if you are in charge of setting prices for a company, you set it at the level where profits are maximized. If you were a bigwig in Exxon and didn't try to make the most for your shareholders, you're not doing your job. You call it gouging the consumer, I call it a well-oiled machine (no pun intended). Do you think they will just raise prices based on the fact that they want more profits? I'm sure you realize that doesn't work as everyone will just flock to your competitors.

Secondly, profits are not all about price. Walmart is known for being cheaper than other places and yet they post huge profits. Would you say that the mom and pop shops that Walmart drove out of business were gouging the consumer by keeping prices higher?
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:23 pm

Jugomugo wrote:They are apparently smarter than the taxpayers, who have done little to nothing to stop the thievery.
I disagree to an extent. How many millions of miles LESS did U.S. travelers go this year? How many traded in their gas-guzzling SUVs for something more gas-effiicient? BTW, that's how I sold my mini-van this year. The guy wanted something that got better gas-mileage than his Dodge Truck with the hemi engine. I saw reports that car dealers couldn't get hybrids on the lot fast enough. Even for the first time in my life, I saw motor scooters, yes motor scooters, for sale at used car lots. Sure more could be done. But I'd say a lot more has been done than just a "little."

The trick now is to see what will happen to driving habits/car sales now that gas prices have eased considerably. HOPEFULLY the gas price decrease will last a while, but some habits die hard, and they could shoot right back up IF people are driving/buying more gas guzzlers again.
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mort Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:42 am

So true CIncy..
we need to rethink what we use for energy!

We need to convert the gas engines over to another fuel source and we can't do it fast enough!

Leave the oil company's in the dust. They will soon see they had better get on the band wagon and come up with something better then fossil fuel!

And we don't need traders in the middle called middle men making profits on energy for the people. Make it illegal to trade on gas!

Sold from the source to the disturbers....nothing else.... no matter what kind of fuels we are using.
Mort
Mort
Admin
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 1400

https://therealboard.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:00 pm

good comments mort--i will email obama right away and ask him to let you be his cenergy tzar cheers

really i think we really need to make a swift break from fossil fuels..the sooner the better. its a start!
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down