The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How many fillups with higher octane gas since prices fall?

3 posters

Go down

How many fillups with higher octane gas since prices fall? Empty How many fillups with higher octane gas since prices fall?

Post  Guest Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:16 pm

I was wondering today how many times I have filled up/topped off with a grade of gasoline higher than what is required by the engine. Usually I use Unleaded, but I have filled/topped with Plus at least a half dozen times and this morning filled up with Premium for $1.999

What about you?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

How many fillups with higher octane gas since prices fall? Empty Re: How many fillups with higher octane gas since prices fall?

Post  IrishGuy Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:23 pm

nope. Never have used anything other than the cheap stuff. I used to use the mid-grade for the jet ski until gas was so expensive. Maybe premium will make the Saturn Vue max out 2 mph higher than the 87 octane.
IrishGuy
IrishGuy
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1511

Back to top Go down

How many fillups with higher octane gas since prices fall? Empty Re: How many fillups with higher octane gas since prices fall?

Post  Guest Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:44 pm

IrishGuy wrote:nope. Never have used anything other than the cheap stuff. I used to use the mid-grade for the jet ski until gas was so expensive. Maybe premium will make the Saturn Vue max out 2 mph higher than the 87 octane.

I used plus to help keep my injectors clean, or get them a little cleaner. I know there are detergents in most gas blends so I probably wouldn't need them, but hey, it's like $1.30 extra. Smile
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:51 pm

My celica required premium... thankfully it was gone before gas got nutty... I remember being jealous paying 2.09 for gas when everyone else was paying 1.99...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:53 pm

pez wrote:My celica required premium... thankfully it was gone before gas got nutty... I remember being jealous paying 2.09 for gas when everyone else was paying 1.99...

I remember turning down premium a few years ago at $1.99 when Regular unleaded was $1.72. Now after this last summer, a fluctuation of .10-.20/gal. doesn't seem that bad.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  IrishGuy Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:56 pm

meta4 wrote:
IrishGuy wrote:nope. Never have used anything other than the cheap stuff. I used to use the mid-grade for the jet ski until gas was so expensive. Maybe premium will make the Saturn Vue max out 2 mph higher than the 87 octane.

I used plus to help keep my injectors clean, or get them a little cleaner. I know there are detergents in most gas blends so I probably wouldn't need them, but hey, it's like $1.30 extra. Smile

Seafoam...it comes in a white and red metal can located in the aoutomotive section of just about anywhere. It cleans out the fuel injectors. You add it to the gas and the stuff is magic. The jet ski was running like crap, changed the spark plugs, new fuel filter, cussed a bit, and seafoam was the fixer. You can use it with any gas powered engine. I also use it with my lawnmower and weed eater.
IrishGuy
IrishGuy
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:04 pm

IrishGuy wrote:Seafoam...it comes in a white and red metal can located in the aoutomotive section of just about anywhere. It cleans out the fuel injectors. You add it to the gas and the stuff is magic. The jet ski was running like crap, changed the spark plugs, new fuel filter, cussed a bit, and seafoam was the fixer. You can use it with any gas powered engine. I also use it with my lawnmower and weed eater.

The real fun way to use it is to inject it through your vacuum line in the engine. Of course, you usually need new plugs after the large black pillows of soot and buildup come out the back.

To the original topic... my car requires at minimum 91 octane. So I always use premium because I've never found 91 octane anywhere.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  IrishGuy Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:16 pm

Jugomugo wrote:

To the original topic... my car requires at minimum 91 octane. So I always use premium because I've never found 91 octane anywhere.

Sunocco, I believe usually has 91 octane. Now the tricky part is to find a Sunocco.
IrishGuy
IrishGuy
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Canuck Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:24 pm

My Honda actually recommends Regular Unleaded (the cheapest grade).
We have 87 Octane, 89 Octane, 91 Octane and Sunoco has 94 Octane.
Canuck
Canuck
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1717

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:35 pm

IrishGuy wrote:
Jugomugo wrote:

Sunocco, I believe usually has 91 octane. Now the tricky part is to find a Sunocco.

Does Shell still have 5 grades of gas to choose from?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:48 pm

Not anywhere that I've seen.

I do remember finding the 4-grade pumps at Sunocco in Ft Wang. Just never any near where I was.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:03 pm

meta4 wrote:I was wondering today how many times I have filled up/topped off with a grade of gasoline higher than what is required by the engine. Usually I use Unleaded, but I have filled/topped with Plus at least a half dozen times and this morning filled up with Premium for $1.999

What about you?
I've stuck with 87 octane for my car, and more often than not with our full-size van; however, there have been a couple of occasions lately where we've put in the mid-grade on the van.
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down