The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General Motors to Invest $1 Billion in Brazil Operations

+2
Markwes
floridafun
6 posters

Go down

General Motors to Invest $1 Billion in Brazil Operations Empty General Motors to Invest $1 Billion in Brazil Operations

Post  Guest Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:39 am

General Motors to Invest $1 Billion in Brazil Operations -- Money to Come from U.S. Rescue Program

General Motors to Invest $1 Billion in Brazil Operations -- Money to Come from U.S. Rescue Program

By Russ Dallen
Latin American Herald Tribune staff

SAO PAULO -- General Motors plans to invest $1 billion in Brazil to avoid the kind of problems the U.S. automaker is facing in its home market, said the beleaguered car maker.

According to the president of GM Brazil-Mercosur, Jaime Ardila, the funding will come from the package of financial aid that the manufacturer will receive from the U.S. government and will be used to "complete the renovation of the line of products up to 2012."

"It wouldn't be logical to withdraw the investment from where we're growing, and our goal is to protect investments in emerging markets," he said in a statement published by the business daily Gazeta Mercantil.

Meanwhile, he cut the company's revenue forecast for this year by 14% to $9.5 billion from $11 billion, as the economic crisis began to cause rapid slowdowns in sales.

GM already announced three programs of paid leave, and Ardila added that GM Brazil "is going to wait and see how the market behaves in order to know what decision to take" with regard to possible layoffs.

For Ardila, the injection in Brazil's automobile sector of 8 billion reais ($3.51 billion) recently announced by the federal and state governments of Sao Paulo "has already begun to revive sales," which fell by 12% in October.

The executive said that the company will operate a "conservative" scenario in 2009 with an estimated production of 2.6 million units, and another more "optimistic" that contemplates sales of 2.9 million.

This year sales will reach 2.85 million vehicles, which represents a growth of 15% over last year.

Eff GM! Burn 'em to the ground.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

General Motors to Invest $1 Billion in Brazil Operations Empty Re: General Motors to Invest $1 Billion in Brazil Operations

Post  floridafun Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:59 am

i hope this is considered when the bailout money is doled out. damn!!!
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

General Motors to Invest $1 Billion in Brazil Operations Empty Re: General Motors to Invest $1 Billion in Brazil Operations

Post  Guest Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:32 pm

If this goes through, I'm not buying another GM car. Right now we have a Saturn, which has been good so far. Shareholders should be grabbing their pitchforks and torches NOW. Change the leadership at the top NOW before they have a chance to throw the Loan money into Brazil.

Friggin' unbelievable. Don't give them another dollar from the Gov.

If we want to save American jobs, a leadership change in GM is a must. I'm with Jugo, If they don't, I hope they burn.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:51 pm

I could be missing something, but why all the outrage over this? The government is giving them money to stay afloat. I think most of us disagree with that, but given that it's happening, GM is using that money in the way it best knows how to remain afloat. If they would have invested that money here, done things as usual, and ended up in the same boat they are in now millions of dollars later, we would all be having a fit that our tax dollars were wasted. If the concern is American jobs, a company that does well overseas and drives their stock price up will create more investment and thus more jobs. Or am I looking at this wrong?
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:19 pm

Markwes wrote:I could be missing something, but why all the outrage over this? The government is giving them money to stay afloat. I think most of us disagree with that, but given that it's happening, GM is using that money in the way it best knows how to remain afloat. If they would have invested that money here, done things as usual, and ended up in the same boat they are in now millions of dollars later, we would all be having a fit that our tax dollars were wasted. If the concern is American jobs, a company that does well overseas and drives their stock price up will create more investment and thus more jobs. Or am I looking at this wrong?

I don't know enough about the GM business model to know if you're right or wrong. I'm simply looking at this from the standpoint that the only reason we give a rip about GM is because of American jobs. Nissan, Toyota, Honda, and others are not holding their hands out for a bailout.

Seems to me that we gave them ~50 million dollars to stay afloat because American jobs depend on them doing so, not finance more outsourcing... am I understanding this correctly?

In any case, I'm not confident in the leadership at GM and therefore don't plan to support the company's products if they continue to sell locally and buy globally. That's what the FOREIGN car companies are doing here.

Let them move their headquarters abroad and then proceed with this using their own money.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Canuck Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:04 pm

The Thai government refused to give them money for a truck plant in Thailand.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/News/International_Business/No_govt_funds_for_General_Motors_Thai_PM/articleshow/4086539.cms

TOKYO: Thai Prime Minster Abhisit Vejjajiva said on Friday his government will not provide funds to struggling General Motors, the cash-strapped US carmaker that asked for help in paying for a new factory and expanded production in the country.

``I appreciate the difficulties the industry is going through. But our plan at the moment is not to provide specific assistance to individual companies,'' he told reporters at a news conference in Tokyo.

Abhisit said Thailand would instead look to provide assistance in a ``neutral and market-friendly way'' through measures such as changing regulations where they impede business or by ensuring domestic customers have adequate financing.

I know, I know, that is a bit of a tangent. I will ask Yoda's forgiveness.
Canuck
Canuck
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1717

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:19 pm

thanks for the post canuck General Motors to Invest $1 Billion in Brazil Operations 795451
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Post  Strate Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:00 pm

Wikipedia
Exports of GM of Brazil in 2005 represented new record, reaching a value of US$ 1.6 billion, for the shipment of 114,994 units in "CKD" and 125,678 vehicles ready for some 40 countries around the world. The main market in the area of exports was Mexico, followed by Argentina, Venezuela, South Africa and other Latin American countries.
Strate
Strate
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Male
Number of posts : 83

Back to top Go down

Post  Mort Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:56 am

They also have one plant in China and are building another one.

They have plants in Europe also.

They own a percentage of Toyota also

As far as I'm concerned GM needs to get rid of Wagner I can't believe he is still pulling the millions out of the company as he has since he got in there.

I would love to know how much.

GM hasn't done anything different since this all happened, we can give them money, and they will ask again a few months from now, just like they did a couple of months ago. If they give them money again I will scream General Motors to Invest $1 Billion in Brazil Operations 520147
Mort
Mort
Admin
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 1400

https://therealboard.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooby01_98 Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:15 pm

Actually they just have a joint partnership in NUMMI with Toyota. GM doesn't own any part of Toyota. GM has own in the past part of Suzuki and Daewoo. Plus they currently own SAAB.

http://www.heritage.org/research/energyandenvironment/bg288.cfm
Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1642

http://www.nola.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down