The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Church Hands Out $50K To Parishioners

4 posters

Go down

Church Hands Out $50K To Parishioners Empty Church Hands Out $50K To Parishioners

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:14 pm

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/us_world/Church-Hands-50000-To-Parishoners.html?yhp=1

The pastor of an Alabama Church called it a "Faith Stimulus Package." The recipients may call it a miracle.

Bay Community Church in Malbis, Ala., gave away $50,000 to its parishioners.

Instead of asking its members for donations, the trustees of Bay Community doled out cash. Each of the church's 2,000 congregants walked away with an envelope containing between $20 to $100.

But there's a catch; the cash is not for them.

Along with various amounts of cash, the envelopes contained instructions to "turn around and bless someone."

"The instructions were simple, you can't give it back to the church and you can't spend it on you and your family," Associate Senior Pastor Trey Taylor told WALA-TV. Taylor masterminded the plan to spread goodness and cash during tough economic times.

The generous reverse-tithe took some parishioners by surprise. Many in the congregation broke out their wallets, thinking that the 2,000 white envelopes making their way down the pews were a request for extra tithing.

But the cash in the envelopes was destined not for the clergy, nor for the parishioners themselves but for needy people who likely don't belong to Bay Community.

"The reason behind it was simple. We wanted our people to turn around and bless somebody," Taylor said.

It's not the first time something like this has been done. In 2007, an Ohio pastor made news by handing $50 to each of his parishioners with the instruction to use their talents to double the money.

The difference: the Ohio parishioners donated the over $30,000 they raised back to the church. Taylor just asks they spend it on others.

Talk about "Paying It Forward" cheers
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Church Hands Out $50K To Parishioners Empty Re: Church Hands Out $50K To Parishioners

Post  Pez Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:28 pm

pretty groovy...

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1979

Back to top Go down

Church Hands Out $50K To Parishioners Empty Re: Church Hands Out $50K To Parishioners

Post  Guest Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:08 am

I totally agree this is a great use of Benevolent funds BUT ... how many do you think actually spent this on themselves. If you got $50 in that envelope how many do you think took their family to Sunday brunch on the church? Maybe not ... but I think so.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:18 am

I'm going to venture a guess of possibly 1-2%.
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:27 am

Bman wrote:I totally agree this is a great use of Benevolent funds BUT ... how many do you think actually spent this on themselves. If you got $50 in that envelope how many do you think took their family to Sunday brunch on the church? Maybe not ... but I think so.
I guess we'll never know...
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Canuck Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:31 am

It's the thought that counts behind this, he's put his trust in the people who received this envelope. Now it's up to those people to honour that trust.
A very nice way to get involvement.
Canuck
Canuck
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1717

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:05 pm

Canuck wrote:It's the thought that counts behind this, he's put his trust in the people who received this envelope. Now it's up to those people to honour that trust.
A very nice way to get involvement.
honour...+1 from the Canuckian!!!

I look at it this way, even if 50% of the people do what they're supposed to do with it, there are going to be people benefitting from this church's generosity.
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down