The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barbara being disrespected

+3
Aggie Transplant
Cincy Fan 44
Markwes
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Barbara being disrespected Empty Barbara being disrespected

Post  Markwes Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:21 pm

http://www.mynorthwest.com/?nid=194&sid=180001

Senator Barbara Boxer (D-CA) to a General at a hearing yesterday: "Do me a favor," she said. "Could say senator instead of Ma'am It's just a thing, I worked so hard to get that title, so I'd appreciate it, thank you."
I'm looking forward to the day we can refer to her as a former senator.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Barbara being disrespected Empty Re: Barbara being disrespected

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:26 am

Reminds me of a professor I had in college. She insister that we refer to her as "Doctor _____"...not Mrs., not Ms., not Professor...but "Doctor"...she said she didn't go to school all those years to be called anything else than Doctor...
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:27 am

Perfect example of why we should have term limits imho.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Aggie Transplant Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:52 am

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:Reminds me of a professor I had in college. She insister that we refer to her as "Doctor _____"...not Mrs., not Ms., not Professor...but "Doctor"...she said she didn't go to school all those years to be called anything else than Doctor...

And what's wrong with that? Many women are incorrectly called more informal titles than their male counterparts. You would never call a male professor "Mr."; you'd always call him "Dr.". Don't see why it should be different for a woman.

and I say "YAY!" for Barbara Boxer.

Aggie Transplant
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Female
Number of posts : 1124

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:57 am

Aggie Transplant wrote:
Cincy Fan 44 wrote:Reminds me of a professor I had in college. She insister that we refer to her as "Doctor _____"...not Mrs., not Ms., not Professor...but "Doctor"...she said she didn't go to school all those years to be called anything else than Doctor...

And what's wrong with that? Many women are incorrectly called more informal titles than their male counterparts. You would never call a male professor "Mr."; you'd always call him "Dr.". Don't see why it should be different for a woman.

Nothing's wrong with it. Just sayin' it reminded me of something that happened in college. Nothing more...nothing less. Neutral
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Pez Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:14 am

I don't see anything wrong with it. I'm pretty conscious of calling people by their professional titles if I have a professional relationship with them, or my business with them is of a professional nature.

I dont know what it has to do with term limits.

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1979

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:29 am

Aggie Transplant wrote:

Actually, I referred to all my professors as "Professor_____". I refer to my doctor as "Doctor". I know, it sounds crazy.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Aggie Transplant Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:33 am

Consistency is the key, that's all I'm sayin'. And in any case, if someone expresses a preference for a different title, then it's just courtesy to comply. (assuming you want to be courteous to that person.)

Aggie Transplant
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Female
Number of posts : 1124

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:41 am

Pez wrote:I don't see anything wrong with it. I'm pretty conscious of calling people by their professional titles if I have a professional relationship with them, or my business with them is of a professional nature.

I don't know if you watched it or not but she actually interrupted the general in mid-sentence. It's quite customary for military personnel to refer to those high in authority as "sir" or "maam" (and he did refer to a male senator as "sir"). It's not like this was some dirtbag calling her "lady" or "hey you". This just comes off as being pompous in my opinion. It's no wonder many military leaders are not impressed with some politicians.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:43 am

Aggie Transplant wrote:

i agree aggie. and she didnt flip out or keep bringing the topic back..she made a simple professional request. unlike the wildly ranting email exchange about CALL ME ELIZABETH bounce
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:52 am

Markwes wrote:http://www.mynorthwest.com/?nid=194&sid=180001

Senator Barbara Boxer (D-CA) to a General at a hearing yesterday: "Do me a favor," she said. "Could say senator instead of Ma'am It's just a thing, I worked so hard to get that title, so I'd appreciate it, thank you."
I'm looking forward to the day we can refer to her as a former senator.

Won't happen in beautiful California until she decides to not run again ... get use to calling her SENATOR BOXER.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Pez Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:58 am

Markwes wrote:
Pez wrote:I don't see anything wrong with it. I'm pretty conscious of calling people by their professional titles if I have a professional relationship with them, or my business with them is of a professional nature.

I don't know if you watched it or not but she actually interrupted the general in mid-sentence. It's quite customary for military personnel to refer to those high in authority as "sir" or "maam" (and he did refer to a male senator as "sir"). It's not like this was some dirtbag calling her "lady" or "hey you". This just comes off as being pompous in my opinion. It's no wonder many military leaders are not impressed with some politicians.

I didnt... I was going to say also that she does contradict herself by demanding professional courtesy in an unprofessional way... "do me a favor...."

If she would have said, "I prefer to be addressed as 'Senator'" and then moved on, nbd...

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1979

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:15 pm

Pez wrote:I didnt... I was going to say also that she does contradict herself by demanding professional courtesy in an unprofessional way... "do me a favor...."

If she would have said, "I prefer to be addressed as 'Senator'" and then moved on, nbd...
I agree. She looked genuinely annoyed, which I thought was odd.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooby01_98 Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:13 pm

From my military days, Ma'am and Sir were the correct terminology when addressing someone. You use titles when announcing someone.
Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1642

http://www.nola.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:43 pm

Scooby01_98 wrote:From my military days, Ma'am and Sir were the correct terminology when addressing someone. You use titles when announcing someone.

You are right. Being a senator you would think she would know that.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:44 pm

She's been in office too long and, like most politicians on both sides, has lost sight of reality. That's why there should be term limits in my opinion. You don't have to agree with it.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:54 pm

Kroman wrote:

She's been in office too long and, like most politicians on both sides, has lost sight of reality. That's why there should be term limits in my opinion. You don't have to agree with it.

We have term limits ... Senators every 6 years we get to vote, Representatives every 2 years etc ... Mark Souder's time should have ended a long time ago, hopefully Dr. Hayhurst is running again in 2010 against him.

If we don't like someone we have a duty to vote them out ... that is true term limits.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:18 pm

Bman wrote:
Kroman wrote:

We have term limits ... Senators every 6 years we get to vote, Representatives every 2 years etc ... Mark Souder's time should have ended a long time ago, hopefully Dr. Hayhurst is running again in 2010 against him.

If we don't like someone we have a duty to vote them out ... that is true term limits.
Problem is too many voters don't take the time to find out who they're voting for and just go with the name they recognize the most on the ballot...good or bad.
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:49 am

Bman wrote:
Kroman wrote:

If term limits are good enough for the president then they are good enough for our senators and congress people.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:21 am

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:
Bman wrote:
Kroman wrote:

Problem is too many voters don't take the time to find out who they're voting for and just go with the name they recognize the most on the ballot...good or bad.

just wondering kromie how many voters have told you thats how they make their decision. i give more credit to the majority of people who bother to show up and vote. folks i talk to are looking for someone who supports at least some of whats important to that person. or are you saying they must only go with name recognition because they dont vote in the person you were hoping they would?
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooby01_98 Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:48 am

Term limits or major changes on who and how they raise money. Currently the advantage is to the person in office. Better access to lobbyist, especially if it is a ranking member on a committee. The bully pulpit of the office, franking privileges etc.

Now if they want to just try a little campaign finance reform first I would be for that. Representatives can only raise money from people and businesses in their district. Senators can only raise money from people and businesses in their state. Those rules and no lobbyist money of any type. Of course the dollar limits will have to be raised for individuals to help compensate for the lose of lobbyist money.
Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1642

http://www.nola.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:09 am

floridafun wrote:
Cincy Fan 44 wrote:
Bman wrote:
Kroman wrote:

just wondering kromie how many voters have told you thats how they make their decision. i give more credit to the majority of people who bother to show up and vote. folks i talk to are looking for someone who supports at least some of whats important to that person. or are you saying they must only go with name recognition because they dont vote in the person you were hoping they would?

Keep wondering....it appears your question should be aimed at cincy instead of me....
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:33 am

you are correct ..sorry about that!
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:17 am

I guess I should have included that statement was my humble opinion. Nobody has told me that that I recall. Just a gut feeling I have. Just like I'm sure there are people who show up and vote straight Republican or Democrat or Independent without taking into account who the better candidate is.
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:03 pm

floridafun wrote:you are correct ..sorry about that!
np
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next