The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Texting Legislation

5 posters

Go down

Texting Legislation Empty Texting Legislation

Post  Markwes Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:37 am

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/2009/07/29/2009-07-29_lawmakers_to_propose_ban_on_driving_while_texting_.html

States would be required to ban driving while texting or face the loss of highway funds under legislation being pushed by a group of Democratic senators.

Aimed at reducing driver distraction and highway deaths and injuries, the proposal follows a series of studies showing the dangers of drivers taking their eyes off the road to operate the handheld electronic devices. Fourteen states and the District of Columbia have passed laws making texting while driving illegal.
Heard Pat White talking about this yesterday. First, let me say I that I have no problem with laws to ban texting while driving. What I have a problem with is the federal government blackmailing states into passing legislation. They did the same thing on at least 2 other occasions, lowering the legal blood alcohol content to .08 nationwide and then back when we went to a national 55 MPH speed limit. What is the point of letting each state have their own legislation if they're going to pull this sort of thing?
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Texting Legislation Empty Re: Texting Legislation

Post  Guest Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:01 am

Markwes, I'm not clear on your point. You support the ban. Are you suggesting that, just for the heck of it, a state government should fight the federal government over this issue? Government, as the largest employer in the USA, is sufficiently misdirected and mismanaged already. I guess there's nothing like a pointless struggle to make us feel all warm and cozy about the perception that our state isn't being bullied by Big Brother.

Hey, it's banned in Michigan, but once I head south on 69 and into Indiana, I can get my blackberry out.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:05 am

I'm not suggesting we fight the federal government. But that doesn't mean I can't give my opinion on it.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooby01_98 Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:02 am

Well since there is a 10th amendment to the constitution that states "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

So if a state wants to have a different drinking age, BAL, speed limit, cell phone usage law, they the federal government, congress shouldn't be threatening to withhold federal funds that the state paid to the federal government as taxes.

Personally ban cell phones completely from use in automobiles. Have a little jammer built into the car that deactivates the cell phone once the car is turned on.
Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1642

http://www.nola.com

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:40 pm

i know i am still miffed because the darned gov interfers with drunk driving all over this country..states should be able to make their own personal choices on it and those who disagree must hate america, want us to become commies like n korea or russia or china.. and do not support our troops! dont tread on my rights to drive drunk, text while driving, or by god to put my 9 year old to work at the local coal mine to help put food on our table!!!

from the link

The legislation would require states to ban texting or e-mailing while operating a moving vehicle or lose 25% of their annual federal highway funding. ***It would be patterned after the way Congress required states to adopt a national drunken driving ban.***

The transportation secretary would be required to issue guidelines within six months of the measure being signed into law, and states then would have two years to approve the bans on texting and driving.

States could recover highway funds by passing the legislation following the two-year period.

The bill would target the activity in a moving vehicle and not prohibit a driver from texting or e-mailing in a stopped car.
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Post  iberlingirl Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:34 pm

I have not read any of these posts, but my feeling on texting and driving are very strong!!! I have told my girls that if I ever caught/found out that they were texting while driving, I would take the phone and the car for 6 mons... No Questions Asked!!
iberlingirl
iberlingirl
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Female
Number of posts : 1185

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:40 pm

iberlingirl wrote:I have not read any of these posts, but my feeling on texting and driving are very strong!!! I have told my girls that if I ever caught/found out that they were texting while driving, I would take the phone and the car for 6 mons... No Questions Asked!!

It's a monumentally stupid thing to do, which I have done once or twice myself. I guess I feel as though I can accomplish the task as long as there's no traffic around. How will a cop know if someone is texting or just dialing a phone number? Are they gonna try and use the GPS chips built into phones to confirm speed/movement along with telecom providers confirming the text data was sent? [cough] patriot act [cough] That would be the most accurate way to do it.

but 6 months? well, I think my dad would have done the same thing but we would have harassed him with realities like getting a job or some benevolent public service, etc.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:58 pm

meta4 wrote:
iberlingirl wrote:I have not read any of these posts, but my feeling on texting and driving are very strong!!! I have told my girls that if I ever caught/found out that they were texting while driving, I would take the phone and the car for 6 mons... No Questions Asked!!

It's a monumentally stupid thing to do, which I have done once or twice myself. I guess I feel as though I can accomplish the task as long as there's no traffic around. How will a cop know if someone is texting or just dialing a phone number? Are they gonna try and use the GPS chips built into phones to confirm speed/movement along with telecom providers confirming the text data was sent? [cough] patriot act [cough] That would be the most accurate way to do it.

but 6 months? well, I think my dad would have done the same thing but we would have harassed him with realities like getting a job or some benevolent public service, etc.

You have only done it once or twice? I did it once or twice today .... LOL
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooby01_98 Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:50 pm

floridafun wrote:i know i am still miffed because the darned gov interfers with drunk driving all over this country..states should be able to make their own personal choices on it and those who disagree must hate america, want us to become commies like n korea or russia or china.. and do not support our troops! dont tread on my rights to drive drunk, text while driving, or by god to put my 9 year old to work at the local coal mine to help put food on our table!!!

from the link

The legislation would require states to ban texting or e-mailing while operating a moving vehicle or lose 25% of their annual federal highway funding. ***It would be patterned after the way Congress required states to adopt a national drunken driving ban.***

The transportation secretary would be required to issue guidelines within six months of the measure being signed into law, and states then would have two years to approve the bans on texting and driving.

States could recover highway funds by passing the legislation following the two-year period.

The bill would target the activity in a moving vehicle and not prohibit a driver from texting or e-mailing in a stopped car.

Wow you get miffed because you think gov't might take away a personal right, but willing to give states rights away to the federal gov't. Which do you think really represents the people the most?

I will give you both are crooked, but turnover at the state level seems to be better than the national level.
Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:09 am

how do you get that i said fed should have the rights of control and states shouldnt basically?

i said

****states should be able to make their own personal choices on it**** and those who disagree must hate america, want us to become commies like n korea or russia or china.. and do not support our troops! dont tread on my rights to drive drunk, text while driving, or by god to put my 9 year old to work at the local coal mine to help put food on our table!!
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:35 am

Bman wrote:You have only done it once or twice? I did it once or twice today .... LOL

txt hor!

? r u txtng thts so imprtnt?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:23 pm

Where dinner and drinks are etc ....
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooby01_98 Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:39 pm

floridafun wrote:how do you get that i said fed should have the rights of control and states shouldnt basically?

i said

****states should be able to make their own personal choices on it**** and those who disagree must hate america, want us to become commies like n korea or russia or china.. and do not support our troops! dont tread on my rights to drive drunk, text while driving, or by god to put my 9 year old to work at the local coal mine to help put food on our table!!

By your sarcastic remark.
Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:41 am

I've never texted before in my life, and in fact had that feature disabled on my current cell phone (which is probably obsolete by today's standards) b/c I hated getting charged for random texts.

I do think there should be laws across the board banning texting and driving, but as Meta said, it would be hard to know if the driver is just typing in a phone number or actually texting. Very much a gray area. Can't say that I've never talked on my cell phone while I'm driving, but when I do, I try to pick times that the roadway isn't busy or when I'm at a stop light where I would have time to dial a number.
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down