The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Movies and Race

4 posters

Go down

Movies and Race Empty Movies and Race

Post  Pez Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:02 am

k... article in JG yesterday suggested that the avatar movie has racist undertones, loosely based on the fact that the movie (and several others) portray a white man as the hero rescuing some other sort of non-white race. The theory being that these races should be able to save themselves...

ok, sure, point taken, Dances with wolves, schindler's list etc etc... the writer then said that the 1980's movie "Dune" featured a white man becoming an alien messiah to rescue an alien race. Well, Paul Atreides was born on Caladan (I think), and thus he too is, well, alien.

To look to hollywood in order to present a balanced racial picture is folly... and does nothing for the credibility of the (otherwise credible) argument that subconscious institutionalized racism still exists.

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1979

Back to top Go down

Movies and Race Empty Re: Movies and Race

Post  Markwes Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:32 am

I haven't seen the article or the movie, but this to me is a big reason why racism still exists. The majority of the population is white, and the majority of action movies have a white hero. Somehow this shows racism in Hollywood. Does the article mention any of the boatload of movies with a black hero? Maybe Will Smith, Wesley Snipes, etc., etc.?
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Pez Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:39 am

Markwes wrote:I haven't seen the article or the movie, but this to me is a big reason why racism still exists. The majority of the population is white, and the majority of action movies have a white hero. Somehow this shows racism in Hollywood. Does the article mention any of the boatload of movies with a black hero? Maybe Will Smith, Wesley Snipes, etc., etc.?

It doesnt, but I'm sure it would imply that Wil Smith in the pursuit of Happyness only succeeded because white people helped him become a stock broker, or that Tommy Lee Jones was propping him up in MIB...

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooby01_98 Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:21 pm

Remember when you could just go to the movies to be entertained? Go to kill a couple of hours and not face reality, to get away from it.

You know normal movies, not the Michael Moore or Al Gore type movies.
Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1642

http://www.nola.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:29 pm

Scooby01_98 wrote:Remember when you could just go to the movies to be entertained? Go to kill a couple of hours and not face reality, to get away from it.

Them were the days my friend. I still have not paid a dime for any Moore's "movies" nor has Gore gotten any money from me for his work of fiction!
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Pez Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:25 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:
Scooby01_98 wrote:Remember when you could just go to the movies to be entertained? Go to kill a couple of hours and not face reality, to get away from it.

Them were the days my friend. I still have not paid a dime for any Moore's "movies" nor has Gore gotten any money from me for his work of fiction!

Odd that you characterize Michael Moore and Al Gore as facing reality. I think we should schedule a fight between Moore & Gore... the posters would be awesome. I think Gore is bulking up too.

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooby01_98 Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:57 pm

Pez wrote:
Cincy Fan 44 wrote:

Odd that you characterize Michael Moore and Al Gore as facing reality. I think we should schedule a fight between Moore & Gore... the posters would be awesome. I think Gore is bulking up too.

I got a feeling Al Gore is in hiding right now due to the weather across the nation.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100212/ap_on_re_us/us_winter_weather_south
Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1642

http://www.nola.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:48 pm

Pez wrote:Odd that you characterize Michael Moore and Al Gore as facing reality. I think we should schedule a fight between Moore & Gore... the posters would be awesome. I think Gore is bulking up too.
I would definitely take Gore in that matchup. Moore would end up with Gore's carbon footprint on his forehead.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Pez Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:25 am

Markwes wrote:
Pez wrote:Odd that you characterize Michael Moore and Al Gore as facing reality. I think we should schedule a fight between Moore & Gore... the posters would be awesome. I think Gore is bulking up too.
I would definitely take Gore in that matchup. Moore would end up with Gore's carbon footprint on his forehead.

cheers Nice... They would need to do it WWF style... seeing Gore pull off the full-suplex would be comedy. This should happen, in the interest of national security.

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down