The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Christmas Desserts...

4 posters

Go down

Christmas Desserts... Empty Christmas Desserts...

Post  Shopaholic Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:16 pm

Looking for some creative input. I'm supposed to bring a dessert for Christmas dinner(30 peeps). I'm toying with cheesecake pops, but not sure I want to put that much effort into something when it's going to be such a busy week. Was tossing around a slab pie, which would be fairly easy to pull off(but what flavor?). But I almost feel like pie is too boring. I'm kinda known as the "experimental" baker of the family so I like to do something different...So toss me out some other options.
Shopaholic
Shopaholic
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Female
Number of posts : 464

Back to top Go down

Christmas Desserts... Empty Re: Christmas Desserts...

Post  Pez Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:27 pm

Shopaholic wrote:Looking for some creative input. I'm supposed to bring a dessert for Christmas dinner(30 peeps). I'm toying with cheesecake pops, but not sure I want to put that much effort into something when it's going to be such a busy week. Was tossing around a slab pie, which would be fairly easy to pull off(but what flavor?). But I almost feel like pie is too boring. I'm kinda known as the "experimental" baker of the family so I like to do something different...So toss me out some other options.

This is a bit above my motivation threshold...

http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/dorie-greenspan-classic-tarte-tatin.aspx?nterms=52314

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1979

Back to top Go down

Post  Aggie Transplant Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:06 am

Chocolate Amaretto Pie

1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup cocoa
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup amaretto liqueur
4 eggs room temperature
1 9-inch pie crust, baked (I use a pre-made graham cracker crust)

In small saucepan over medium heat, melt 1/4 cup butter. Stir in cocoa.

With electric mixer on medium speed, beat 1 cup of butter with sugar and amaretto until light and fluffy. Gradually add cocoa mixture. Add eggs one at a time, beating for 3 minutes after each addition. Continue beating until sugar is completely dissolved. (Place a small amount between your fingertips and rub fingers together. If it still feels gritty, continue to beat.) Pour filling into pie crust. Cover and refrigerate at least four hours before serving.

This is a wonderful pie, albeit sweet. I have been making it for Thanksgiving for at least 15 years, and my family demands it every time.

Aggie Transplant
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Female
Number of posts : 1124

Back to top Go down

Post  IrishGuy Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:03 am

Every year for Thanksgiving and Christmas my mother-in-law makes pumpkin rolls. They are awesome. For the last few years, every holiday she makes two rolls. One for the family and she hides one in the back of the fridge and gives it to me before I go home. I think it's my thank you gift for cooking the turkey, ham, etc. for the meal.
IrishGuy
IrishGuy
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1511

Back to top Go down

Post  Shopaholic Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:24 am

Both of those recipes look so good Very Happy I will definately keep them in mind!

I haven't had a pumpkin roll in ages, I really need to make one. My sis in law has that covered for this though. Too bad since I still have 19 cups of pumpkin in the freezer.

Funny story- About ten years ago, a recipe came out from Jello for some pumpkin cream pie. All three people bringing dessert brought this same pie(I helped the host make her version) lol Sad to say, they all sucked Very Happy

Irish Guy-My mom does that with her special version of cheesecake. It's light and fluffy rather than heavy and creamy. She always brings one big one for everyone and two little ones for myself and another family member. But then again, we've also been know to sit with the pan in between us with two spoons...
Shopaholic
Shopaholic
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Female
Number of posts : 464

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down