NFL Playoffs

View previous topic View next topic Go down

NFL Playoffs

Post  Markwes on Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:27 am

Just wanted to say GO BEARS! Beat the Seachickens!

Anyone have any other thoughts on the playoffs so far?
avatar
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096
Age : 52
Location : asylum

Back to top Go down

Re: NFL Playoffs

Post  Scooby01_98 on Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:36 am

Of course I'm disappointed the Saints are out of the playoffs. Especially since Pierre Thomas and Ivory went on IR the week of the game and Bush hasn't been back to normal since his injury. So I wasn't expecting them to go back. However I sure wasn't expecting them to lose to the seachickens. Obviously the Saints still have serious defense problems, no way they should have allowed 44 points.

Love to see the Bears and Ravens in the Superbowl. Overall I am pleased, the Colts are out (YEAH!!!) The Bears, Patriots, and Ravens remain.
avatar
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1642
Location : The Fort

http://www.nola.com

Back to top Go down

Re: NFL Playoffs

Post  IrishGuy on Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:56 am

I was real suprised to see the Seahacks beat the Saints. That run by Marshawn Lynch was amazing.

The Colts overachieved all year and reality caught up with them in the end, with the help of the dumbest coach in franchise history. I'm pretty sure that headset he wears doesn't even work.
avatar
IrishGuy
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1511
Location : Fort Wayne

Back to top Go down

Re: NFL Playoffs

Post  Pez on Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:07 pm

I bet the steelers absolutely pummel the Ravens.

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1979
Location : Ft Wayne

Back to top Go down

Re: NFL Playoffs

Post  Pez on Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:08 pm

IrishGuy wrote:I was real suprised to see the Seahacks beat the Saints. That run by Marshawn Lynch was amazing.

The Colts overachieved all year and reality caught up with them in the end, with the help of the dumbest coach in franchise history. I'm pretty sure that headset he wears doesn't even work.

I'm still pissed about that...

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1979
Location : Ft Wayne

Back to top Go down

Re: NFL Playoffs

Post  Scooby01_98 on Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:53 pm

Pez wrote:I bet the steelers absolutely pummel the Ravens.

It will be a defensive match up that is for sure. I think both teams are well matched against each other.
avatar
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1642
Location : The Fort

http://www.nola.com

Back to top Go down

Re: NFL Playoffs

Post  Cincy Fan 44 on Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:36 pm

I don't know who I want to lose more...the squeelers or the former browns. It's really a tough call. I guess I hate the steelers a little more though.

I'm pulling for the Bears and Packers this weekend. Would really like to see them face off in the NFC Championship game.

As for the other AFC game (Patriots and Jets)...I don't really care who wins. I kind of like the stuff Rex says to get his team fired up and trying to get in the heads of the other team.

_________________
Life...what a great choice.
avatar
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852
Location : Wherever you can gird your loins

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Re: NFL Playoffs

Post  Markwes on Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:04 pm

Pez wrote:
IrishGuy wrote:I was real suprised to see the Seahacks beat the Saints. That run by Marshawn Lynch was amazing.

The Colts overachieved all year and reality caught up with them in the end, with the help of the dumbest coach in franchise history. I'm pretty sure that headset he wears doesn't even work.

I'm still pissed about that...
I agree that the playcalling was bad. It's a tired cliche, but it seemed like they were "playing not to lose". Just wondering though - everyone is blaming the coaches, but doesn't Manning have free reign to call pretty much anything he wants? Seems like he could have audibled on those 3rd and longs if he wanted to.

That said, I still think when the offense gives you a lead with a minute something to go, they have done their job and it's up to the kickoff coverage and defense to do theirs. If you are giving the ball back to a QB like Brady, Manning, or Brees, then yeah, you definitely have to make a real effort to take the lead and leave no time to do anything. But Sanchez doesn't exactly strike fear into opposing defenses as a last drive hero. Just my thoughts anyway.
avatar
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096
Age : 52
Location : asylum

Back to top Go down

Re: NFL Playoffs

Post  Markwes on Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:11 pm

I'm going to say Ravens and Falcons win today, Bears and Patriots tomorrow.

By the way, I love the logic of the "experts" in picking games. From what I heard Atlanta won a lot of close games this year while Green Bay lost a lot of close ones. To one guy that means Atlanta will win because they "know how to win the close games". To another it means Green Bay will win because "they are better than their record indicates".
avatar
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096
Age : 52
Location : asylum

Back to top Go down

Re: NFL Playoffs

Post  LTRT on Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:34 am

Markwes wrote:I'm going to say Ravens and Falcons win today...

I trust you didn't bet the farm on these games. Smile
avatar
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Re: NFL Playoffs

Post  Markwes on Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:40 am

LTRT wrote:
Markwes wrote:I'm going to say Ravens and Falcons win today...

I trust you didn't bet the farm on these games. Smile
Good thing I'm not a gambling man!
avatar
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096
Age : 52
Location : asylum

Back to top Go down

Re: NFL Playoffs

Post  Cincy Fan 44 on Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:37 pm

way to pick em Markwes... Razz

_________________
Life...what a great choice.
avatar
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852
Location : Wherever you can gird your loins

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Re: NFL Playoffs

Post  Markwes on Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:13 pm

At least as of now, the Seahawks are getting dominated by a certain team from Chicago known as... Da Bearss. And yeah, I just saw the old SNL skit, so now that's in my head. Very Happy
avatar
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096
Age : 52
Location : asylum

Back to top Go down

Re: NFL Playoffs

Post  Cincy Fan 44 on Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:30 pm

HUGE HUGE HUGE matchup next week with the Packers and the Bears. Looking forward to a GREAT game!

_________________
Life...what a great choice.
avatar
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852
Location : Wherever you can gird your loins

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Re: NFL Playoffs

Post  Scooby01_98 on Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:09 am

Wow not what I expected this weekend in the games. I knew the Ravens and Steelers would be close. I didn't expect the Ravens to get that big of a lead then blow it.

Didn't expect the Falcons to get blown out at home. Packers that good or Falcons over rated not sure which. The way the Packers played that night would have been hard for any team to beat them. Hopefully they will have cooled off by next weekend. The Bears won't be able to match the Packers offense of the Atlanta game.

Didn't expect the Jets to beat the Patriots like that. Figured it would be a close game due to divisional rivalry. Jets 4-1 in the post season the last two years. Took down Manning and Brady will Roethlisberger be next? I believe that will be the game to watch next week.

So what you think Jets - Bears? Bears new defense against Bears old defense...?
avatar
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1642
Location : The Fort

http://www.nola.com

Back to top Go down

Re: NFL Playoffs

Post  IrishGuy on Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:51 am

Markwes wrote:I agree that the playcalling was bad. It's a tired cliche, but it seemed like they were "playing not to lose". Just wondering though - everyone is blaming the coaches, but doesn't Manning have free reign to call pretty much anything he wants? Seems like he could have audibled on those 3rd and longs if he wanted to.

That said, I still think when the offense gives you a lead with a minute something to go, they have done their job and it's up to the kickoff coverage and defense to do theirs. If you are giving the ball back to a QB like Brady, Manning, or Brees, then yeah, you definitely have to make a real effort to take the lead and leave no time to do anything. But Sanchez doesn't exactly strike fear into opposing defenses as a last drive hero. Just my thoughts anyway.

I don't get too ticked off about the individual play calling. I'm referring to the coach blowing two games this year by calling a stoopid timeout near the end of the game allowing the opponent to score, and win the game. One thing that also ticks me off is when Colts are on defense, 3rd down and 4, and the 5'-10" cornerback is giving a 6'-4" receiver a 10 yard cushion. WTF? It happened alot last year and some this year.
avatar
IrishGuy
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1511
Location : Fort Wayne

Back to top Go down

Re: NFL Playoffs

Post  Markwes on Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:31 pm

IrishGuy wrote:
Markwes wrote:I agree that the playcalling was bad. It's a tired cliche, but it seemed like they were "playing not to lose". Just wondering though - everyone is blaming the coaches, but doesn't Manning have free reign to call pretty much anything he wants? Seems like he could have audibled on those 3rd and longs if he wanted to.

That said, I still think when the offense gives you a lead with a minute something to go, they have done their job and it's up to the kickoff coverage and defense to do theirs. If you are giving the ball back to a QB like Brady, Manning, or Brees, then yeah, you definitely have to make a real effort to take the lead and leave no time to do anything. But Sanchez doesn't exactly strike fear into opposing defenses as a last drive hero. Just my thoughts anyway.

I don't get too ticked off about the individual play calling. I'm referring to the coach blowing two games this year by calling a stoopid timeout near the end of the game allowing the opponent to score, and win the game. One thing that also ticks me off is when Colts are on defense, 3rd down and 4, and the 5'-10" cornerback is giving a 6'-4" receiver a 10 yard cushion. WTF? It happened alot last year and some this year.
Oh, okay. Yeah, I agree. And the deal with giving a 10 yard cushion always seems to come into play when the defense is trying to hold a lead late in the game. I understand that strategy if there is like 30 seconds left and the other offense is on their own 20, but not when there is enough time to move the ball with the dink passes.
avatar
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096
Age : 52
Location : asylum

Back to top Go down

Re: NFL Playoffs

Post  Markwes on Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:40 pm

I was just thinking about something. For years people have been pissing and moaning about college football and the BCS, how we should have a playoff, yada yada yada. This year in the NFL, a 7 - 9 team makes it into the post season and hosts a playoff game (and would have hosted the NFC Championship had they beaten the Bears). Now we have people pissing and moaning that this never should happen, the NFL needs to change the rules, yada yada yada. I think this just goes to show there is no perfect system. Every major pro sport has divisions, so if you don't like that Seattle made the playoffs, maybe you shouldn't like the playoff format for any sport.

The most ignorant post I saw was on a sports message board where someone claimed that Seattle had "ruined the playoffs" by preventing a Saints/Bears matchup. Rolling Eyes
avatar
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096
Age : 52
Location : asylum

Back to top Go down

Re: NFL Playoffs

Post  IrishGuy on Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:38 am

The BCS system is similar to the NFL's playoff system in that in college football, the conference champion of the 8 "BCS" conferences gets an automatic BCS bowl bid. This year, the goat team was UConn.

I like the BCS scoring system. I wish they would use the current scoring system and use the top 8 teams, no matter what their record is, what conference they are from and make an 8 team playoff using all of the BCS bowl games (Rose, Sugar, Orange, etc.) as each playoff game.
avatar
IrishGuy
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1511
Location : Fort Wayne

Back to top Go down

Re: NFL Playoffs

Post  Scooby01_98 on Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:37 pm

IrishGuy wrote:The BCS system is similar to the NFL's playoff system in that in college football, the conference champion of the 8 "BCS" conferences gets an automatic BCS bowl bid. This year, the goat team was UConn.

I like the BCS scoring system. I wish they would use the current scoring system and use the top 8 teams, no matter what their record is, what conference they are from and make an 8 team playoff using all of the BCS bowl games (Rose, Sugar, Orange, etc.) as each playoff game.

There is no final game in the BCS. Don't you think Auburn should have to play TCU? TCU either deserves a game with Auburn or a equal share of the national championship.
avatar
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1642
Location : The Fort

http://www.nola.com

Back to top Go down

Re: NFL Playoffs

Post  IrishGuy on Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:47 pm

Scooby01_98 wrote:
IrishGuy wrote:The BCS system is similar to the NFL's playoff system in that in college football, the conference champion of the 8 "BCS" conferences gets an automatic BCS bowl bid. This year, the goat team was UConn.

I like the BCS scoring system. I wish they would use the current scoring system and use the top 8 teams, no matter what their record is, what conference they are from and make an 8 team playoff using all of the BCS bowl games (Rose, Sugar, Orange, etc.) as each playoff game.

There is no final game in the BCS. Don't you think Auburn should have to play TCU? TCU either deserves a game with Auburn or a equal share of the national championship.

I agree, the current BCS bowl system is flawed. I do, however, like the current BCS scoring system.
avatar
IrishGuy
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1511
Location : Fort Wayne

Back to top Go down

Re: NFL Playoffs

Post  Markwes on Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:27 pm

Durn those Packers! Mad
avatar
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096
Age : 52
Location : asylum

Back to top Go down

Re: NFL Playoffs

Post  LTRT on Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:05 pm

Markwes wrote:Durn those Packers! Mad

They gave it the ole college try, albeit the last 8 minutes of the game. scratch
avatar
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Re: NFL Playoffs

Post  Cincy Fan 44 on Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:07 pm

So was Cutler really hurt or did they just yank him? Odd that we didn't seem to see any trainers working on him... scratch

_________________
Life...what a great choice.
avatar
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852
Location : Wherever you can gird your loins

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Re: NFL Playoffs

Post  Markwes on Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:18 am

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:So was Cutler really hurt or did they just yank him? Odd that we didn't seem to see any trainers working on him... scratch
I think that's the "question of the day". We were wondering about that too since it didn't look like he was in pain. Almost like he didn't want to come back in.
avatar
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096
Age : 52
Location : asylum

Back to top Go down

Re: NFL Playoffs

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum