The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Novel Approach To Reducing Fuel Use...

2 posters

Go down

A Novel Approach To Reducing Fuel Use... Empty A Novel Approach To Reducing Fuel Use...

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Tue May 06, 2008 11:59 pm

Looks like some airlines are reducing their speed to save fuel. Simply amazing what adding a few minutes to flights can save an airline...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/02/business/02air.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

And here's something that could very well happen next year AFTER the presidential election...reducing the national speed limit to 55 mph. It may be unpopular, but it's a very easy way to reduce our fuel consumption. Of course if it happens, then the gov't has to spend all that $$$ replacing the speed limit signs on the interstates, and thus likely increasing our taxes to pay for it.

I'd love to hear the presidential candidates talk about reducing the national speed limit during the presidential debates. It could be political suicide, but hey, tough times call for tough actions.

Personally, I've adjusted my driving habits. I try now to coast as much as possible to a red light or stop sign, as long as there's not a line of cars behind me. That, and I don't gun it when I go. OMG I've turned into my Dad, but hey, I am seeing a difference in my miles per gallon. Every little bit helps I guess.
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

A Novel Approach To Reducing Fuel Use... Empty Re: A Novel Approach To Reducing Fuel Use...

Post  iberlingirl Wed May 07, 2008 12:13 am

Coming from a family of race car drivers, speed and lead foot are in my blood... BUT in the past month or so I have taken my foot out of my engine when driving and have to admit, it does make a noticeable difference. And I use my cruise a lot more than I use to. (helps with the urge to blow someones doors off)
iberlingirl
iberlingirl
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Female
Number of posts : 1185

Back to top Go down

A Novel Approach To Reducing Fuel Use... Empty Re: A Novel Approach To Reducing Fuel Use...

Post  Guest Wed May 07, 2008 3:39 pm

They just raised the speed limit what.. 5-6 years ago?

The 55 MPH lowering originally was done for fuel economy as well. It'll increase gov't budgets too because they'll ticket more speeders for higher over. I can't imagine driving 55 mph to Indy, I'd go nuts.

Here's a thought.. BULLET TRAINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why the fuck do the French have this and not us?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down