The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New York Online Sales Tax

3 posters

Go down

New York Online Sales Tax Empty New York Online Sales Tax

Post  Guest Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:42 pm

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9956576-7.html

Anyone else see that New York is now forcing online retailers such as Overstock and Amazon to charge sales taxes on all items sold in New York regardless of whether or not they have a physical presence in the state. I just talked to a NY Dept of Taxation rep and he sounded about as confused as I am on this issue. Apparently, according to him, if you have someone from NY who refers to you and someone buys off your site into NY, you are responsible for sales tax... what a joke..
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

New York Online Sales Tax Empty Re: New York Online Sales Tax

Post  Markwes Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:30 pm

Sounds like New York is trying to find some more ways to make money. Here's another one. Smokers in the state will now be paying the highest cigarette tax in the nation at $2.75 a pack.

http://www.nydailynews.com/money/2008/06/02/2008-06-02_new_yorks_cigarette_tax_climbs_to_highes.html

This has got to be an all-time classic quote from the article:
"Isn't that something — to say that I'm excited about a tax increase? But I am," said Dr. Richard Daines, the New York health commissioner. "This is a public health victory. We know one of the really effective tools to get people off of their nicotine addiction is to the raise the price."

Well, I guess we have solved every health issue. We just raise the price of whatever the health commissioner decides is unhealthy. Rolling Eyes
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:34 pm

Markwes wrote:Well, I guess we have solved every health issue. We just raise the price of whatever the health commissioner decides is unhealthy. Rolling Eyes

Betcha can't guess what his party affiliation is. Very Happy
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:14 pm

LTRT wrote:
Markwes wrote:Well, I guess we have solved every health issue. We just raise the price of whatever the health commissioner decides is unhealthy. Rolling Eyes

Betcha can't guess what his party affiliation is. Very Happy
And if it were up to him I'm sure a Big Mac would be $20.
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down