The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Police: Man shot churchgoers over liberal views

+3
Cincy Fan 44
Markwes
Canuck
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Police: Man shot churchgoers over liberal views Empty Police: Man shot churchgoers over liberal views

Post  Guest Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:16 pm

Police: Man shot churchgoers over liberal views

By DUNCAN MANSFIELD, Associated Press Writer1 hour, 12 minutes ago

Knoxville's police chief says the man accused of a shooting that killed two people at a Tennessee church targeted the congregation because of its liberal social stance.

Chief Sterling Owen IV said Monday that police found a letter in Jim D. Adkisson's car. Owen said Adkisson was apparently frustrated over being out of work and had a "stated hatred of the liberal movement."

Adkisson is charged with first-degree murder. Police say a gunman entered the Tennessee Valley Unitarian Universalist Church during a children's performance Sunday. No children were hurt.

The church is known for advocating women's and gay rights and founding an American Civil Liberties Union chapter.

lulz.

Figures.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Police: Man shot churchgoers over liberal views Empty Re: Police: Man shot churchgoers over liberal views

Post  Guest Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:24 pm

Could one see Doe going on a rampage like this? I bet Doe was on her knees all weekend praying that the wrath of God would destroy Headwaters Park this weekend. lol By the way, the Obama campaign registered over 60 voters at the Pride Fest. That is 60 more Allen County voters for Obama than we had previously!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Police: Man shot churchgoers over liberal views Empty Re: Police: Man shot churchgoers over liberal views

Post  Canuck Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:28 pm

For Bman there should be another festival, call it ObamaFest.
Everyday is ObamaFest for Bman.. Razz

Haha, I was thinking someone would do a "DoePost" in this thread.

Congrats Bman, you covered it all except you didn't McDisCain. Slowing down in your old age, huh? lol!

I read this bit of news on Sunday I think. A shame stuff like this happens.
Canuck
Canuck
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1717

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:32 pm

Canuck wrote:For Bman there should be another festival, call it ObamaFest.
Everyday is ObamaFest for Bman.. Razz

Haha, I was thinking someone would do a "DoePost" in this thread.

Congrats Bman, you covered it all except you didn't McDisCain. Slowing down in your old age, huh? lol!

I read this bit of news on Sunday I think. A shame stuff like this happens.

I consider radical Christians as much as a threat as radical muslims. Too bad we aren't fighting these terrorists here like we should be.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:47 pm

Since this has of course become political, here is a quote from a neighbor of the guy:

Karen Massey, who lived two houses from Adkisson's home, told the Knoxville News Sentinel of a lengthy conversation she had with Adkisson a couple years ago after she told him her daughter had just graduated from Johnson Bible College. She said she ended up having to explain to him that she was a Christian.

"He almost turned angry," she told the newspaper. "He seemed to get angry at that. He said that everything in the Bible contradicts itself if you read it."

Does this sound like a "radical Christian"?
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:10 pm

I don't think he was even a member of that church, if any, was he? Anybody been able to come up with that? Now, I have to get back to cleaning all of my guns since I'm a radical christian.
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:35 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:I don't think he was even a member of that church, if any, was he? Anybody been able to come up with that? Now, I have to get back to cleaning all of my guns since I'm a radical christian.

UMMM he was NOT a member of the church and the reason the Sheriff said he went in guns blazing because of their liberal views.

You don't have to clean your guns, just "cling" to them ... ok?

And Mark, I do not know if Jugo was insinuating this guy was a radical christian or if he was just making a blanket statement about radical christians being as bad in his mind as radical muslims. Just my opinion of that statement.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:45 pm

Markwes wrote:Since this has of course become political, here is a quote from a neighbor of the guy:

Karen Massey, who lived two houses from Adkisson's home, told the Knoxville News Sentinel of a lengthy conversation she had with Adkisson a couple years ago after she told him her daughter had just graduated from Johnson Bible College. She said she ended up having to explain to him that she was a Christian.

"He almost turned angry," she told the newspaper. "He seemed to get angry at that. He said that everything in the Bible contradicts itself if you read it."

Does this sound like a "radical Christian"?

$20 says he was undiagnosed bi-polar manic depressive. maybe we'll never know...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:58 pm

Bman wrote:
Cincy Fan 44 wrote:I don't think he was even a member of that church, if any, was he? Anybody been able to come up with that? Now, I have to get back to cleaning all of my guns since I'm a radical christian.
You don't have to clean your guns, just "cling" to them ... ok?
True, it takes 2 hands to clean them, and that would prevent you from clinging to your Bible with the other hand. Smile

Seriously though, I'm glad it wasn't worse than it was, and I'm not belittling the fact that 2 are dead and others injured. But how much time did this guy put into planning this? I mean he goes into a church apparently with a plan to take out as many as possible, and ends up with.... 2?

"He indicated also in that letter that he expected to be in there shooting people until the police arrived and he fully expected to be killed by the responding police," he said.
Whoops, failed on both accounts, because attendees who saw what was happening stepped in and tackled him right away. Not "Let's all sit here and get shot" like what happened in Virginia Tech and other places.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:08 pm

I heard a report on NPR that said police recovered 70+ shells of ammo... so he was planning on reloading.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  moondrop Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:37 pm

This is another sad story. It should not have happened. The shooter was way out of line and should pay the price, no matter what their beliefs are. By the way this organization does not believe in the whole bible, including the power of Christ's blood shed for us.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unitarian_Universalism

Last edited by moondrop on Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : had wrong link, sorry)

moondrop
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Female
Number of posts : 351

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:48 pm

moondrop wrote:This is another sad story. It should not have happened. The shooter was way out of line and should pay the price, no matter what their beliefs are. By the way this organization does not believe in the whole bible, including the power of Christ's blood shed for us.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unitarianism

*Bzzzzzz*

Incorrect, a subtle difference. You have to pay attention to specifics sometimes. The church that was attacked was a Unitarian Universalist church, not merely a Unitarian church.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unitarian_Universalism

Read a little and you'll see that they encourage your spiritual walk to believe what you think is right in your search for a deeper relationship with God... you might find yourself kneeling and reciting liturgy, clutching your crucifix, annointing it with blessed oil next to a person stabbing themself in the foot with a sword while performing a Wiccan good luck rite.

You shall know the truth, and the truth will set you free!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  moondrop Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:51 pm

Thanks Meta, I realized that and was fixing my post when you were writing yours.

moondrop
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Female
Number of posts : 351

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:53 pm

moondrop wrote:Thanks Meta, I realized that and was fixing my post when you were writing yours.

But you still left in the part about not believing in the power of The Blood...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:01 pm

Unitarian Universalists are either loved or hated. There's enough of a lack of structure that people who need to be controlled find nothing of substance. There's enough independence that the church member (hopefully) takes ownership of personal responsibility to a level past (no offense intended) mere confession and penance into actual change... deep down in the (dare I say it) soul.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:20 pm

Regardless... the issue is one guy didn't think the other guys were worshiping right so he shot them.. again.. a great example of Christian compassion. And yes.. I'm referring to the fact that anything when taken to the extreme is dangerous.

Why can't we go back to the days where you worried about your house, not your neighbors? Whatever they did was their business, not yours.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:33 pm

cardinal5150 wrote:Regardless... the issue is one guy didn't think the other guys were worshiping right so he shot them.. again.. a great example of Christian compassion. And yes.. I'm referring to the fact that anything when taken to the extreme is dangerous.

Why can't we go back to the days where you worried about your house, not your neighbors? Whatever they did was their business, not yours.

Hooray! Yes! Totally agree "but as for me and my house..." sorta thinking reminds me of one of my favorite phrases for Biblical Christianity NOT being fanatical... stolen from Prego.

It's like Prego... "It's in there" (referring to "but as for me and my house")

Some trivia... Clara Peller of "where's the beef?" fame also popularized the "It's in there!" slogan. "Prego" is Italian for "I pray", and is usually used in response to "grazie" ("thanks"), where in English one would say "You're welcome."
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Canuck Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:03 pm

I think it would be safe to say that no matter what religion you follow, there will always be people around that will love it or hate it.
It comes down to personal responsibility and respect for fellow human beings.

Oh and Prego sucks... lol!
Canuck
Canuck
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1717

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:33 am

cardinal5150 wrote:Regardless... the issue is one guy didn't think the other guys were worshiping right so he shot them.. again.. a great example of Christian compassion. And yes.. I'm referring to the fact that anything when taken to the extreme is dangerous.

Because it seems a lot of radical christians seem to think there is a "war" going on... we should really start treating them the same way we treat muslims. Apparently in a "time of war" they feel it is ok to be fuck tards.

Unitarian Universalist is about the only church I would ever consider stepping a foot into unless I really had to (ie, wedding, funeral).
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelK Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:43 am

Last edited by MichaelK on Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:44 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : (add url))
MichaelK
MichaelK
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Male
Number of posts : 73

http://iminurfortkillingurdudes.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mort Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:39 am

well at least they got off their arse's this time and took the guy down!

Unlike some school shootings I've heard about study

Religion has cause more deaths and wars then money or any other subject
Mort
Mort
Admin
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 1400

https://therealboard.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:26 am

Mort wrote:well at least they got off their arse's this time and took the guy down!

I agree with your first statement, but again, where does it say anywhere that this guy was associated with religion? To me he sounded like an athiest. Are you saying the members of this church were somehow responsible??
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:30 am

Jugomugo wrote:Because it seems a lot of radical christians seem to think there is a "war" going on... we should really start treating them the same way we treat muslims. Apparently in a "time of war" they feel it is ok to be fuck tards.

I agree... I love how they don't see the similarities between themselves and the radical muslims.... they believe in God, so they can't possibly be the same.... we need a zombie smiley face or something...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:45 am

Markwes wrote:
Mort wrote:well at least they got off their arse's this time and took the guy down!

I agree with your first statement, but again, where does it say anywhere that this guy was associated with religion? To me he sounded like an athiest. Are you saying the members of this church were somehow responsible??

No Markwes. Mort's comment was similar to his signature. People are willing to kill and die for their tiny little speck of a personal perspective of the most infinite being in the universe.

Butt Nuggets...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:33 am

meta4 wrote:
Markwes wrote:

No Markwes. Mort's comment was similar to his signature. People are willing to kill and die for their tiny little speck of a personal perspective of the most infinite being in the universe.

Butt Nuggets...
So, Meta, the guy was a radical. Why is it we feel the need to use this example to reinforce stereotypes? I mention that there is nothing I have heard to suggest that the guy was a radical Christian and all I get is "he is just saying in general" types of responses. I could point to this story and say white people are responsible for more deaths than any other group. Would that be fair?
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next