The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leg of Lamb roast

4 posters

Go down

Leg of Lamb roast Empty Leg of Lamb roast

Post  Guest Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:01 am

The planned Leg of Lamb roast

2 c. or as much leaves of an one bunch of fresh mint about 64 stalks of 5" long 4-8 leaves per stalk
2/3 c. pine nuts, removed from the cones
2 oz. finely shredded gruyere
2 oz. finely shredded asiago
1/3-1/2 c. olive oil
6 cloves of garlic as big as your thumb, pressed
refrigerated overnight

3.5 lb boned leg of lamb stuffed with mixture, tied,
rub with oil and salt & pepper outside of roast, julienned garlic stuffed into 1/2 to 1" slices in roast
roasted in oven
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Leg of Lamb roast Empty Re: Leg of Lamb roast

Post  Aggie Transplant Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:38 am

Thanks, that just made me hungrier.........

Sounds absolutely yummy, but then again, I'm a big lamb fan.

One of our favorite things that's fairly simple to take lamb loin chops and marinate for a few hours in olive oil and lots of garlic. Sometimes we add rosemary also. Then grill.

Aggie Transplant
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Female
Number of posts : 1124

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:10 am

Leg of Lamb roast Img00010

Clockwise from lower-left: Mint, Cheese, Pine Nuts, Garlic

https://i.servimg.com/u/f58/12/28/86/54/img00010.jpg
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:45 am

meta4 wrote:Clockwise from lower-left: Mint, Cheese, Pine Nuts, Garlic

LOL, reading that fast, I thought it said "my nuts". affraid
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:51 am

LTRT wrote:
meta4 wrote:Clockwise from lower-left: Mint, Cheese, Pine Nuts, Garlic

LOL, reading that fast, I thought it said "my nuts". affraid

Naw... that goes on last Very Happy

.... whooooo, gotta lay off the gay humor now...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Canuck Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:29 am

LOL, how were your roasted lamb nuts meta?

On a serious note, this recipe sounded fantastic. How was it?
Did you vacuum pack some to send up north for the Canuck? Very Happy
Canuck
Canuck
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1717

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:34 pm

Canuck wrote:LOL, how were your roasted lamb nuts meta?

On a serious note, this recipe sounded fantastic. How was it?
Did you vacuum pack some to send up north for the Canuck? Very Happy

It turned out fantastic! When it came out I kept myself disciplined enough not to rip into it straight away. as soon as it was done "resting" I sliced into it and MAN was I surprised! I cooked it perfect medium, it looked a lot like prime rib. It was very tender but not melting or falling apart in the mouth.

I really tried to take the time to absorb the whole event and learn more about lamb. I'm glad I got the whole leg, and boned it myself (hehe, "boned", de-boned is a culinary redundancy IMHO and totally improper). What I learned was the bone geometry and difference between the sirloin leg half and the shank half. First I boned, then decided what looked like the shank, lopped that off, then lopped of the side of the sirloin closest to the hip (opposite the shank) It was pretty, but not surgical.

Leg of Lamb roast Img00110

I opened the sirloin a little more than spread that pesto inside, tied it up and oil, salt, pepper, more pesto on the outside. I should have tied one more loop (green arrows).

Leg of Lamb roast Img00111

The next day's cold cuts...

Leg of Lamb roast Img00110
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Canuck Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:50 pm

Haha, you boned a lamb's leg. Razz, I promise I won't tell anyone.

That looks really delicious.
Where is my care package????? Mad
I waited for the plane to drop it in the fields.

This establishes one thing, for "The Show" you get to do all the boning of the meats and man handling them.
(Wishful thinking possibly). lol!
Canuck
Canuck
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:14 pm

Canuck wrote:Haha, you boned a lamb's leg. Razz, I promise I won't tell anyone.

That looks really delicious.
Where is my care package????? Mad
I waited for the plane to drop it in the fields.

This establishes one thing, for "The Show" you get to do all the boning of the meats and man handling them.
(Wishful thinking possibly). lol!

Thanks, I loved it. The wife says I can make it 1 or 2 times a year, but she's just not used to the taste of Lamb and to her, anything that tastes different, except for sushi, fried pickles, and sometimes mold... Rolling Eyes (hehe) I told her I can live with 1 or 2 times a year.

Along with this I made fresh asparagus with Porcini mushroom, onion, and little garlic. And mashed potato's, no gravy but I wish I would have used some of the drippings personally. I don't think my wife would have liked the gravy. I also wish I would have used the drippings to make Yorkshire Pudding. mmm mmm! I'm making myself hungry again.

With the leftover sirloin meat I made a curry stew with some jasmine rice doused with lime juice. Was real good as well.

I'd be up for cuttin' the meat, you want to handle the fish, or is that still "meat"?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Canuck Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:16 pm

All the stuff you made sounds wonderful.
Yorkie pudding mmmmmmmmmm, I haven't had that in a long time.
Now I am really hungry... lol!

Fried pickles are tasty. I enjoy those.
Have you ever made a beef roast using the same recipe or along those lines?

Do you like duck meat? I had a curried duck over a yellow rice (also had yellow split peas, lightly fried onions, a bit of spinach added afterwards so it just steams) Although I am not the greatest fan of the curried duck, I prefer it baked or smoked.

For me that is all meat, any raw meat/seafood kinda makes me uneasy.
Although, I am getting better with it, I cut up salmon and last weekend, I skewered some chicken, butterflied some shrimp.
I figure, if I want to cook, I have to do this stuff too.
Canuck
Canuck
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:43 pm

Yes, I've had duck. I've never made it myself, and so I really can't say if I've ever had it "perfect" because I'd have to make it once to see how easy or difficult it could be. I've never disliked any duck I've had but maybe once or twice it has seemed to have a stronger flavor and spices are really important to get the 'real' duck flavors to come out best. The yellow rice sounds good. I've got some at home and have been thinking about what to put with it.

Ya know, I've never made a beef roast in the oven. I mean I've helped make one several times at home (when I was younger) but lately it's been steaks, or thin cut sirloins for Rouladen, or pot roast in the crock.

The wife keeps the food-born pathogens heavily regulated in our house, we have 8 cutting boards/surfaces. 4 of these are those thin plastic ones color coded and marked with a little picture of Veg, Red meat, Poultry and Fish. When I was cutting up the Lamb, I had to chase her out of the kitchen because she was going to spray the area around where I was cutting with Lysol. I promised I'd douse it with bleach, etc. I know, I'm evil because I just used a soapy rag, friction, and a paper towel to clean up. ...haven't killed or gotten anyone sick yet, and the thought of tasting "summer breeze" Lysol in my food would make me throw up.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Canuck Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:32 pm

Yes, duck has stronger taste, I like it.

I am not worried about handling meat/seafood because of food borne pathogens. Since as a kid, I just didn't like the way it felt to touch it. That's all. So long as there is soap and water to wash up, I am alright.

I don't use things like lysol and febreeze. There is no chlorine bleach in my house or any commercial cleaners. Lots of alternatives available. Right down to the tile and bath cleaner. From laundry detergents to window/glass cleaner I buy products that are derived from vegetable sources and biodegradeable.
Canuck
Canuck
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:03 pm

I've been thinking about Cornish game hens lately. I like the idea of pulling meat from a wee little carcass (too bad it not made of kitteh though, hehe).

I'm with you, I don't particularly like the slimy, squishy, slippery feel to meat either. I like getting my hands on/into meat that I'm cooking more to get a "feel" for the way different muscle groups hang on the bone, etc. Ya know? With the leg, I felt all around trying to pinpoint the bone against a diagram of what the hindquarters of a lamb look like... didn't want to miss bones or bone fragments. Luckily there was only one interconnected mass of bone.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:17 pm

'Leg of Lamb Roast' is really dominating the discussion. Must be a slow day. Razz
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:29 pm

Glad you joined in...

post something...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:53 pm

Naw, that's fine. I'm just out here busting your chops. Lamb! Chops! I slay myself sometimes!
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:55 pm

Man, that was a weak yolk! Get it? Yolk... Joke! HA!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Canuck Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:06 am

meta4 wrote:I've been thinking about Cornish game hens lately. I like the idea of pulling meat from a wee little carcass (too bad it not made of kitteh though, hehe).

I'm with you, I don't particularly like the slimy, squishy, slippery feel to meat either. I like getting my hands on/into meat that I'm cooking more to get a "feel" for the way different muscle groups hang on the bone, etc. Ya know? With the leg, I felt all around trying to pinpoint the bone against a diagram of what the hindquarters of a lamb look like... didn't want to miss bones or bone fragments. Luckily there was only one interconnected mass of bone.

Okay you can be the biologist with all the meat stuff, I'll learn from your experiments and be contented with knowing the details rather than figuring it out.
I like cornish hens, I never cooked them for myself though.
Quail is nice too.
Canuck
Canuck
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down