The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Name on government watch list threatens pilot's career

3 posters

Go down

Name on government watch list threatens pilot's career Empty Name on government watch list threatens pilot's career

Post  Guest Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:07 pm

Name on government watch list threatens pilot's career

* Story Highlights
* Pilot told he'll be fired if he doesn't clear his name
* Aviator's Pakistan-born wife also on list; both are Muslim
* Government tight-lipped about who is or isn't on any list
* Transportation Security Administration seeks "meaningful resolution," official says

From Jeanne Meserve
CNN Homeland Security Correspondent

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- For Erich Scherfen, being on a government terror watch list isn't just a matter of inconvenience. It could end his career.

Scherfen served in the U.S. military for 13 years, as an Army infantryman in the first Gulf War and then as a helicopter pilot in the National Guard. After receiving an honorable discharge, he was hired as a pilot by Colgan Air Inc., a regional airline operating in the Northeast and Texas.

In April, Colgan informed Scherfen that he was on a government list and would be suspended from his job. He was told he faced termination on September 1 unless he was able to clear his name.

But Scherfen, of Schuylkill Haven, Pennsylvania, has been unable to do so and said he fears that it could mean he has no future as a pilot.

"My entire career depends on me getting off this list," he said. "I probably won't be able to get a job anywhere else in the world having this mark that I'm on this list."

Witold Walczak, an American Civil Liberties Union attorney representing Scherfen and his wife in a lawsuit, calls the government actions "unfair" and "unjust."

"It is quite clear when the government does something that takes away not just your job but your occupation, your career, they have to provide you with some means to clear your name," Walczak said.

The lawsuit, filed this week in federal court in Pennsylvania, asks the U.S. government to remove Scherfen and his wife, Rubina Tareen, from any watch lists or databases that inhibit their travel.

Scherfen is a convert to Islam. His wife emigrated from Pakistan when she was 17 and is now a U.S. citizen. She runs a small business selling books and DVDs about Islam, publications she describes as nonpolitical. VideoWatch the couple speculate on why they're listed »

Scherfen and Tareen have both been stopped when traveling and told by security personnel that they are on "a list." Scherfen calls it "embarrassing."

Tareen said she thinks they may be on a watch list because of their Muslim faith and her Pakistani heritage. The two said they are not terrorists and don't associate with people who are.

"I have no idea why I am on the list, and they're not telling officially that I'm even on the list," Scherfen said. iReport.com: Are you on the list?

In a statement, the U.S. Justice Department said it will not confirm or deny that the couple's names are on a watch list for national security and privacy reasons.

In May, Scherfen and his wife wrote to the Department of Homeland Security, asking for help with their case. The department referred them to the Transportation Security Administration's Traveler Redress Inquiry Program. This week, they received a number to track their case, but their complaint has not been addressed.

A TSA spokeswoman said the agency is seeking "a meaningful resolution" to the couple's case but said there is no timetable for doing so.

Meanwhile, a federal judge has the case under review. He asked that Colgan move Scherfen's termination date to October 1. The airline has done so, allowing more time for a possible resolution.

"Unfortunately, it is a problem that is shared by countless individuals who have no connection to terrorism, have no connection to crime and don't belong on this list," said Walczak, the ACLU lawyer.

Walczak acknowledged the need for the government to protect the country from threats with a watch list but said, "The problem with what the government is doing is that they really don't care about innocent casualties."

Scherfen said the pain of his situation is accentuated by the fact that he spent 13 years in uniform protecting the country.

"We served honorably," he said. "We served in a war. And they're thumbing their noses at us, basically, and that makes me feel ... really sad about this situation."

Serve your country and be treated like a terrorist for not being a Christian. How pleasant.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Name on government watch list threatens pilot's career Empty Re: Name on government watch list threatens pilot's career

Post  Guest Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:13 pm

So the name apparently gets thrown on with ease, but will only be removed after they have to drudge through a monolithic bureaucracy. Sweet!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Name on government watch list threatens pilot's career Empty Re: Name on government watch list threatens pilot's career

Post  Guest Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:00 am

This is why the terrorists are winning... Here's someone who for nothing other than exercising his freedom, has had his fredom curtailed. Howw up in arms would people be if they made the terror list for marrying a Christian?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:21 am

This appears to be an example of one that fell through the cracks. Let's not go overboard and declare the war against terrorism lost because of this one example.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:52 am

Markwes wrote:This appears to be an example of one that fell through the cracks. Let's not go overboard and declare the war against terrorism lost because of this one example.

Yeah Pez, it'll take a lot of single 'bad' examples to surpass the Rolling Eyes mountain of 'good' examples on how we're winning the war on terror... Twisted Evil
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:54 am

meta4 wrote:
Markwes wrote:This appears to be an example of one that fell through the cracks. Let's not go overboard and declare the war against terrorism lost because of this one example.

Yeah Pez, it'll take a lot of single 'bad' examples to surpass the Rolling Eyes mountain of 'good' examples on how we're winning the war on terror... Twisted Evil
So you think we're losing it? Okay, what would you do differently?
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:11 am

meta4 wrote:

It can't be nearly as successful as the war on drugs. That program is a beacon of success and integrity.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:13 am

You're right, I over generalized and shouldnt have... the problem is that if there's one there's likely more... I feel the terrorists' goals were to curtail our freedoms. I feel this anecdote, along with many others (wiretaps, homelnad security etc) are representative of a larger curtailment of our freedoms. This has two consequences, one intended and another not so... the intended consequence is to keep bad people off planes. The unintended consequence is the curtailment of freedoms/human rights associated with the same goal.

My issue isnt with the terrorist watch list, my issue is that the government has no obligation to explain the actions they are taking (presumably) on our behalf (the government is bascially saying this guy is on the list because he is on the list). The unintended consequence of the current administrations knee jerk reaction is what brings about secret CIA prisons, detention of foreign nationals without cause or due process.

You didnt ask me what I would do differently, but if you did, I would have to say that I would add more transparency to the process, such that there would be due process for getting off the list, and also (perhaps more importantly) due process for getting someone on the list. I would treat prisoners of war (nee "enemy conbatants") according to the Geneva convention.

I think many conservatives misunderstand the liberal viewpoint with respect to devices such as Gitmo, Abu Ghraib, the terrorist watch list, warrantless wiretaps etc to mean that we wish to outlaw all of them such that the terrorists can have free reign to kill us all. To assume that a liberal does not understand the need for such devices is taking the 'shock jock' view that liberals want to make it easy to kill Americans. I as a liberal understand the need for these things in the now changed landscape of post-911 America. I just think we should be transparent about it. A warrantless wiretap is necessary, but you should have to get a warrant after the fact, such that abuses could be handled by a judicial check on the executive branch.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:49 am

Thanks for the response. I can't disagree with more transparency. I just don't think those things you mentioned are something the average American has cared to know about in general. Kind of like Cincy's line about how protecting the country is like making sausage. Smile
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:07 am

Markwes wrote:Thanks for the response. I can't disagree with more transparency. I just don't think those things you mentioned are something the average American has cared to know about in general. Kind of like Cincy's line about how protecting the country is like making sausage. Smile

I think the average American doesn't know what the hell the average American thinks... Very Happy
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Canuck Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:39 pm

I know someone whose name was on that list for over 5 years. It just came off earlier this year, all the calls and all that stuff didn't do anything to expedite his name being cleared. He couldn't fly from the US to go anywhere.

Almost everytime I cross the border, they ask me where I was born, not just once in the same session, sometimes three or four times by the same officer. Even though I am giving them my passport that has all that information.
I understand asking the information but you would think they would have it all there.
They take a picture of your licence plate when you pull into the booth, then when they scan your passport it brings up all the personal details as well.

One guy sent me into the office for "further questioning" because he was walking to the back of my car and didn't hear me answer a question. When I went in, the guy inside, asked me a couple of questions and then he said, "Why did he send you in here?" So I told him what I thought it was and he said enjoy your visit.

On another visit, I heard one officer say in an annoying tone "you are wasting time, what's the matter with you" to the officer questioning me.
He was listening to this guy ask me questions.

And there are times when they wouldn't even take my passport, they might just ask, where are you going? How long will you be staying and then say have a nice trip. Those officers are few.
Canuck
Canuck
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1717

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:49 pm

Funny Canuck...reminds me of a story of a Reds pitcher back in 1991 and his first trip across the border. The story tells it better than I can...

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/sports/epaper/2008/06/28/a6b_60seconds_0629.html
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down