The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Texas students pack bookbags; teachers pack heat

3 posters

Go down

Texas students pack bookbags; teachers pack heat Empty Texas students pack bookbags; teachers pack heat

Post  Guest Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:55 pm

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D92PJ6UG0&show_article=1&catnum=0

Texas students pack bookbags; teachers pack heat
Aug 25 06:30 PM US/Eastern
By ANGELA K. BROWN
Associated Press Writer
HARROLD, Texas (AP) - Along with normal first-day jitters and excitement, students in this tiny district started school Monday wondering which teachers might be toting firearms.

"It was kind of awkward knowing that some teachers were carrying guns," said Adam Lira, 17, a senior. "I don't feel like they should be, 'cause we already have locked doors and cameras. But I didn't feel threatened by it."

Several parents said they had no idea that school employees were allowed to carry concealed guns on campus until recent publicity about the school board's policy, approved quietly last fall. They said they were upset that the rural community near the Oklahoma border had not been able to give input.

While some parents said they felt their children were safer, others opposed the plan, which might be a first nationally.

"As far as I'm concerned, teachers were trained to educate my children—not carry a gun. Even police officers need years of training in hostage situations," said Traci McKay, whose three children are among the 110 students in the red-brick Harrold school. "I don't want my child looking over her shoulder wondering who's carrying a gun."

But Harrold Superintendent David Thweatt said the board approved the policy in an October open meeting that had been publicized. He said the decision was made after nearly two years of researching the best school security options at the school, just off a busy highway and 30 minutes away from the sheriff's office.

"When you outlaw guns in a certain area, the only people who follow that are law-abiding citizens, and everybody else ignores it," Thweatt said.

He declined to say how many employees carry guns but said each one first must be approved by the board based on his or her personality and reaction to a crisis. In addition to training required for a state concealed weapons license, they also must be trained to handle crisis intervention and hostage situations.

Thweatt said the board took extra precautions, such as requiring employees to use bullets that will minimize the risk of ricochet, similar to those used by air marshals on planes.

"I can lead them from a fire, tornado and toxic spill; we have plans in place for that. I cannot lead them from an active shooter," Thweatt said. "There are people who are going to think this is extreme, but it's easy to defend."

The Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence has spoken out against the plan, saying it may not comply with Texas law, which bans firearms at schools unless they have given written permission. If the school board authorizes an employee to carry a gun, then that person must be a peace officer, according to the Brady Center.

"It's unfair of us to ask teachers to take on the additional job of being police officers," said Paul Helmke, president of the Brady Campaign.

But Cheryl Mehl, an attorney for the Harrold school district, argued that the statute applies only to security guards, not teachers and other employees.

Gov. Rick Perry has said he supports the policy because "there's a lot of incidents where that would have saved a number of lives."

Sounds like a good policy to me. Wonder how many other schools will follow suit?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Texas students pack bookbags; teachers pack heat Empty Re: Texas students pack bookbags; teachers pack heat

Post  Guest Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:58 pm

Texas is soooooo F'd up...

"The four out of five times is OK."
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Texas students pack bookbags; teachers pack heat Empty Re: Texas students pack bookbags; teachers pack heat

Post  Markwes Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:30 pm

meta4 wrote:Texas is soooooo F'd up...

Why is that? If you were a crazed maniac looking to cause mayhem, wouldn't you be less likely to do so in a school that allows teachers to carry firearms?
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:04 pm

Markwes wrote:

Why is that? If you were a crazed maniac looking to cause mayhem, wouldn't you be less likely to do so in a school that allows teachers to carry firearms?
I kind of see what you mean. It would make sense to me to go after easier targets than a school that I know has teachers that pack heat. But there again, they aren't 'crazed' for nothing!
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mort Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:05 am

Well well common sense prevails in Texas...

No since that was put in place I really doubt that anyone will try anything at that school it makes perfect sense to me way to go Texas cheers
Mort
Mort
Admin
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 1400

https://therealboard.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:44 am

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:
Markwes wrote:

I kind of see what you mean. It would make sense to me to go after easier targets than a school that I know has teachers that pack heat. But there again, they aren't 'crazed' for nothing!
It's certainly not cut and dry to me that teachers should be allowed to carry firearms. I would need to know more about this particular situation. Are we talking teachers carrying a gun on their belt while teaching? If that's the case then, no, it's too easy for a student with an agenda to take it. I just think that if done correctly, it's a good idea. I guess what really got me was this quote:

"As far as I'm concerned, teachers were trained to educate my children—not carry a gun. Even police officers need years of training in hostage situations," said Traci McKay, whose three children are among the 110 students in the red-brick Harrold school. "I don't want my child looking over her shoulder wondering who's carrying a gun."

This lady obviously does not understand that this doesn't mean that the Spanish teacher who has never held a gun in her life will be given a weapon on the first day and told do whatever you want with it. If they are carrying a gun, it means they have gone through training, and as was stated in the article, they have been approved by the school board.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:41 am

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:I kind of see what you mean. It would make sense to me to go after easier targets than a school that I know has teachers that pack heat. But there again, they aren't 'crazed' for nothing!

Agree with this... anyone that would enter a school and start shooting at random kids before committing suicide doesn't strike me as someone that would be deterred by the fact that their English teacher might be packing.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down